Author Topic: Cam Suggestions  (Read 8598 times)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Cam Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 11:18:38 AM »
   Back to topic please.
       The first retarded ( as ground) cam I came across was the Boss 302 factory cam .After I found that one , I degreed every cam I've run. "Most" are off from the numbers on the cam card. Just aligning the dots could be leaving allot on the table.  Besides my own testing , I spent a few years ( 40+ years ago) working for a major camshaft manufacturer which taught me allot and opened my eyes on the whole industry. Things like who actually made what and exact same parts with different part numbers from different cam companies that all came from one separate supplier. Yes evolution has raised the bar but many things are still the same.
     The proper camshaft and it's timing can make or break the performance of an engine Do your homework before you buy .
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »
   Back to topic please.
       The first retarded ( as ground) cam I came across was the Boss 302 factory cam .After I found that one , I degreed every cam I've run. "Most" are off from the numbers on the cam card. Just aligning the dots could be leaving allot on the table.  Besides my own testing , I spent a few years ( 40+ years ago) working for a major camshaft manufacturer which taught me allot and opened my eyes on the whole industry. Things like who actually made what and exact same parts with different part numbers from different cam companies that all came from one separate supplier. Yes evolution has raised the bar but many things are still the same.
     The proper camshaft and it's timing can make or break the performance of an engine Do your homework before you buy .
   Randy

How much was it off?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »
 A "factory" produced Boss 302 cam has 4*s retard ground into it. I checked a '69 and more than one '70 in trying to see if it was a "fluke" or not. In later years I saw the blueprint with the timing event call outs that show a 4* retard. Ford did this on other engines as well for emissions purposes.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
Back to the original post, I have a similar motor in my FFR. 3.55's with a 5-speed. Without a doubt, the motor will be a high-RPM motor, and the suggestions for more gear and an AOD are right. I used a Howards Cam, and the HP figures at the crank close in on 440. Also tough to get a carb just right. I ended up with FI. On the track and limnited street, once the came "comes in", it's definitely "Hang ON" time!

Ask lots of questions, compare cams. I eventually made up a spreadsheet comparing the different cams, so i could compare the specs, and produced HP when I could verify. (I can e-mail if you want it)

I started with a seasoned 68 302 block, SCAT 331kit and 10.0 CR. Torker II open plenum. Went with a Quality Link-bar roller lifter conversion, sayed with 1.6 rockers to be safe. Make sure it is put together right! Also, a nice hot spark really helps.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:56:26 AM by Cobrask8 »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2019, 01:56:17 PM »
A "factory" produced Boss 302 cam has 4*s retard ground into it. I checked a '69 and more than one '70 in trying to see if it was a "fluke" or not. In later years I saw the blueprint with the timing event call outs that show a 4* retard. Ford did this on other engines as well for emissions purposes.
   Randy

I knew this about the Clevelands but not the Boss 302. I'm not surprised though. So far on aftermarket cams I've used Crower, Ford Motorsport, Crane and CompCams. They were all right on.

I've had a couple of issues with quality on aftermarket, but not timing issues.

You need to check every component piece by piece. Everyone is a novice at first, but that doesn't last long. Experience counts a lot and you can't worry about making mistakes. You learn more from mistakes then not making any. Frankly, once you screw up, you will never do that again and certainly will never forget it either.

The problem with selecting cams is that although the results are now all highly predictable, how the new owner feels about them is not. One person will consider one cam radical and another as ok.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »
When I had the 347 built for my 66 in 2000 the engine builder asked if I wanted to make the cam selection.  I said "sure", then realized I didn't really know squat about cam details. I had copy of Mr. Gasket Desktop Dyno software on my computer I used more like a video game so had a chance to put it to good use. Must have run 100 or so cam simulations based as close as possible on the other engines specs the builder gave. I decided on a Lunati grind which worked out really well. The actual dyno numbers were almost spot on with the simulation so was pretty happy with the results.   
Dave - 6S1757