News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Cam question for a stroker FE

Started by Side-Oilers, February 13, 2019, 12:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 14, 2019, 06:13:58 PM
P.S. Barry Robotnic would be the one to contact at Survival Motorsports in Michigan about your cam.

-Keith

Yes, I agree on Barry. Good advice.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

427heaven

Why the push rods typically rub the intake holes is because the heads have been milled which requires the intake to be milled, setting a chain of events into motion that when hastily assembled or just plainly not checking closely, catastrophic failures may occur. :'(

1967 eight barrel

The reason I had rub had nothing to do with the milling and everything to do with almost .600 lift and 3/8 push rods. I had the issue dealt with before assembly. Strangely enough it was only an issue for 3 pushrods.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 14, 2019, 06:10:25 PM
The end stands, stands and spacers are a Precision oil pumps products. The roller rocker's weak point is the bushing thins the rocker to a point they are weak and break under high lift/ heavy spring loads.  I have Doug's end stands, spacers, rocker shafts and Dove forged roller rockers in my Shelby with Isky 3/8 molly pushrods.
                                                                                         -Keith

I believe that is who was making the FPP parts. I haven't personally had a rocker arm failure but until CompCams brought up the subject with the introduction of their stainless rockers, I never even considered fatigue an issue.

The FE's are a little unusually in reliability valve train wise. I think that you just have to consider that they were never intended to be stressed to this degree. You could point out 427's being run in NASCAR but don't forget the engine only had to last 500 miles.

Or you could point to the engine winning at Lemans 1-2-3 BUT those engines were limited to 6,000 rpm with .500" lift cams. They were only 425hp engines.

So what are we talking now? .600 plus lifts, roller lifters, 500 cube monsters. I don't have direct scientific data but the circumstantial evidence certainly is very suggestive to me?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

corbins

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 14, 2019, 06:13:58 PM
P.S. Barry Robotnic would be the one to contact at Survival Motorsports in Michigan about your cam.

-Keith
+1 great knowledge

67gt500

Go one better and contact Blair Patrick.. He will give you great cam information and his service is very good..    captcj@hughes.net

vtgt500

Some great names have been shared of respected, FE builders.  Though I have no first hand experience with either.  If inclined to use a flat tappet cam the advantage of shell lifters has not been addressed.  Shell lifters require a longer push rod.  The extra length decreases angular, swept travel.  Travel that can interfere with the intake manifold as noted.  A critical benefit with popular, .600 lift cams, including the 294S grind.  My build included custom height stands and push rod length to achieve ideal geometry.  Late, warm summer nights on deserted interstate highways fun to hear a side oiler breathing at 7000 RPM as you grab for the next gear.

68stangcjfb

Also, shell lifters weight practically nothing compared to solid or hydraulic lifters.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

1967 eight barrel

Blair Patrick doesn't work much with stroker engines and hasn't won a single power masters competition.  Brent Lykins is another very good choice. 

-Keith

pbf777

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 15, 2019, 12:11:33 PM
................and hasn't won a single power masters competition.                                                                                             

Really!    :o    This is the new standard for identifying the 'best-of-the-best-of-the-.............'; from results of a circus setting, with participation by those with too much time on their hands.

As long as all involved are having fun, O.K., and yes, it is interesting, and there is some educational benefits to be had,  but lets not get too serious over the results, as often it would appear that the successful creations have little future as products elsewhere.

Oops, now I've done it, pissed somebody off!   ::)

Scott.

1967 eight barrel

I don't get pissed off at symantics. I have enough fun with the aircraft mechanics on the job keeping me from pushing back on time.
I know who most of the big players are. I don't have other people do my builds other than machine work that I don't have the machinery for.
With that said, I do consult about my choices when there are multiple paths available.  Barry Robotnic, Brent Lykins, Jay Brown and Blair Patrick.
The first two took calls and answered questions when I was stumped on a coolant incursion issue, the others didn't have time to be bothered.
Brent even called me in Spain so I could pull the trigger on something while I was dealing with the moron EU and flight qualification standards that were being debated.
When information all goes into a black book instead of to better the community here it does little good being this is likely to die with us. Those under 35 have no interest and what we do and the Idiots liberals keep putting in power are going to turn our vehicles into boat anchors.
Because the original poster has a stroked FE, Barry and Brent seem to do the most builds in these areas. The cam requirements for stroked engines are different and it would make sense to go to the "go to" guys for this.
This of course doesn't impune on the latter two individuals ability.  It's just that no different than a sports team, each person brings their skills to the table, and each has their own strongsuit.   There has been enough pot-stirring across the forums and most of us don't wear panties and read the National Equirer and eating Bon Bons. 
Feel free to offer valid information or suggestions, but keep the catty bullshit off the forum. It's old and I am seeing many of the other Ford/Shelby forums dying just for this reason.
                                                                      -Keith