News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Walk MS 2024 - in Memory of Nancy

Started by mark p, April 04, 2024, 01:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark p

Nancy (my wife) lost her battle with MS on Easter Monday 2024... this year I am fundraising and Walking in Memory of her  :'( and that 28 year fight.

Our Team is participating on Sunday 4/21/24 at Washington Lake Park here in South NJ (3 weeks after the Funeral)
As many of you know, Nancy was hit hard by Multiple Sclerosis... diagnosed back in the mid-90s while still in her 30's, and now it has claimed her life.
For anyone that isn't familiar, this is a nasty disease that that impacts the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves, which make up the central nervous system - and is mainly found in women ages about 25 to 50. There is no current prevention or cure.
For our family, 2023 was tough, and 2024 is brutal - highlighting how MS is not only an awful disease, but also makes recovery from other issues very difficult. I hope that funds raised will help fund research that finds a cure.
If you are interested in further details, you can visit the National MS website.
Thus my annual fundraising via Walk MS - I'm hoping that we can "knock it out of the park" this year in Nancy's Memory.
To make a donation - Simply click on the link - or contact me.
https://events.nationalmssociety.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=393788

(Hopefully nothing here is out of line)
Thanks, Mark
(adding some pix this year showing some of our 44-year love affair)

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

KR Convertible

Mark, Very sorry for your loss. Count me in again.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

deathsled

I am very sorry for your loss.  She was a very pretty lady.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

KR500

Mark
So sorry for your loss. Keep the good fight strong.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

S7MS427

Mark,

It is heartbreaking to hear this news.  My wife is also beset with chronic disease and it is tough to watch her struggle.  Please celebrate Nancy's life and remember the good times as I sure that she would want you to do.  As they say, "may her memory be a blessing".

Have you thought of holding a car show event in her memory with the proceeds going to MS research?  That might be a way to generate some funds in addition to the walk.  Pretty sure a lot of Shelby guys would show up.  I know I would.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

mark p

Thank you all.
I've been doing the Walk since 2008 (iirc), and now our younger daughter is heading up a Bike MS team, this will be their 3rd year.
Between my work, car clubs, family, and other friends - my efforts have resulted in significant $$ raised.

Right now I'm just focused on trying to get thru one phase at a time... once we're finished with the Funeral/Burial part, then I'll have to move to the legal/financial/administrative stuff. Then figure out how to "live" without my Life partner.

Side-Oilers

Mark,
I am so very sorry to hear of your family's tragic loss of your wife. I know first-hand how a serious medical diagnosis can turn your life upside down.  Hang in there and know that you have a lot of buddies here on the site, even though we've never met.

All my best,
Van
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

mark p

One last update before the Walk on Sunday. As you might be able imagine, just about everything feels "off" for me at this point  :'(
Weather looks like it will be good, cool and partly sunny.
Fundraising is going well... we've got some SAAC-er's in, and a couple (the woman was literally life-long friends with Nancy) really hit $$ it.
... but there is always room for more, every little bit helps.
(I see that this has fallen off the first page  ::) )

Thanks, Mark

TA Coupe

Donated to the walk last week Mark. Haven't you done this for a few years. My sister-in-law with MS finally made it into a permanent care facility 8 months ago after we took care of her for 14.5 years.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

mark p

Thanks Roy.
Your story with your sister-in-law sounds like it's been rough... I hope that at least now everyone's quality of life can improve(?)
I have been doing the Walks since 2008 (but did somehow miss 1 year early on)... am on my 3rd team.
Our supporters are kicking it hard this year - and that does feel at least a little bit good - but a more can't hurt.

mark p

Here's our Team last year. On the list of "odd coincidences"... Captain Mark (center with bandana) has a wife named Nancy  :o