News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 Shelby GT500 with 427 Side Oiler Engine.

Started by 66 GT350 NZ, February 14, 2019, 01:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66 GT350 NZ

Hi everyone, 67 Shelby GT500 with 427 side oiler engine, Shelby serial number 67400f4a03137 would anyone have any history on this car, owner says engine was either factory which I do not belive, or Dealership installed. Car is for sale. I would like some facts before I go take a look at it,Thankyou in advance.

1967 eight barrel

Nothing in my copy of the registry that indicates a factory or dealer installed 427.  As for being dealer installed. No paper work... As they say... Extraorinary claims require extraordinary proof. Most of us wish we had a dollar for everytime we've heard this story.  Because of the intrinsic value put on them word of mouth means nothing and I am sure some one thinking they are buying the missing "super snake" is going to wind up filing suit.

-Keith

I used to hear of the "dealer 427" fairly often, and from what I have read here, it was just the thing to claim for many, many owners.

roddster

Back in the 70's this claim had value.  Nowadays, due to Al Gore's internet, P-f-f-f-t!!!!!  Show me the receipt (except that too can be faked and weathered).

5s386

Info on 10-2010: Car in Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zeland. "Engine changed by first owner".  White/black 4 speed  "Z' in vin

Hockeylife

I'm curious, what/why is their perceived added value in a "dealer installed" engine? If it's not from the factory, why does it matter whether it's dealer installed, or local speed shop, or back yard? I've have same question with stripes. For show, if you documentation for dealer applied stripes it's ok??
Also, would you rather have the original 428 or whoever installed 427?

Quote from: Hockeylife on February 14, 2019, 01:56:17 PM
I'm curious, what/why is their perceived added value in a "dealer installed" engine? If it's not from the factory, why does it matter whether it's dealer installed, or local speed shop, or back yard? I've have same question with stripes. For show, if you documentation for dealer applied stripes it's ok??
.  Makes a big difference if you want to show the car.As delivered.....

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Hockeylife on February 14, 2019, 01:56:17 PM
Dealer installed is a over used ploy to try and add legitimacy to a otherwise non stock item.In concours a non stock item is given a pass if reasonable proof of actual Ford dealer installation can be provided to support the claim and as long as it was done prior to delivery to the first owner when new.  It is when reasonable proof to support the claim is expected that things typically fall apart.  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

The value of the 427 in these cars is  the adaptability of them to racing applications. It's a great basis for a race engine OF THE ERA. If you aren't going to race it competitively, it is of little benefit. In fact, it's more of an expense legacy.

So in the case of a 67 GT500, unless it is one of the three invoiced 427's, a 427s additional value is questionable at best. In fact, considering the move to originality in all makes, it is likely a detriment.

In the case of the '68 W version, there is NO value to it as it was built. It is essentially a 390 GT with a 427 "hydraulic block". That engine has less racing value then a 428cj does.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

Most people are not going racing or trying to set any records these days except myself possibly. So for the few the best or nothing comes into play, 50 years ago these engines ruled the tracks and the streets because of that there is a certain allure to it. Many prefer a big fat steak for a celebration dinner as opposed to a big fat burger, both good but very different. Or the OL LADY could walk around with a GUCCI BAG or a WALL MART plastic bag, both carry her items but are very different. 427s and 428s are both good but very different, it comes down to personal choices we make.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on February 15, 2019, 08:37:42 AM
Most people are not going racing or trying to set any records these days except myself possibly. So for the few the best or nothing comes into play, 50 years ago these engines ruled the tracks and the streets because of that there is a certain allure to it. Many prefer a big fat steak for a celebration dinner as opposed to a big fat burger, both good but very different. Or the OL LADY could walk around with a GUCCI BAG or a WALL MART plastic bag, both carry her items but are very different. 427s and 428s are both good but very different, it comes down to personal choices we make.

Sure. The 69 GT500 that John Paradise had comes to mind though. Why stop at just a 427? Why not a GMC blower sticking up out of the hood? Taste may be the argument but the expression, "bad taste costs no more" seems to come into play at some point? "You" like a Mohawk, pink on one side, purple on the other? OK. That's why there is a return to "original" these days.

Stock 427's were only a good solid starting point. To make them run, there are other things involved.

I was in Eber's 427SC way back at Pocono. The Speedo said 178. The tach said 8200rpm and the fuel pressure gauge was pulsing back and forth like my heart beat was.

Here comes Smith zooming by us in the turn. Don't you think Ken punches it?

Now the point is that the first day home, Ken went to start the car and take it for a spin. "The engine was making funny noises like there was a bolt flying around in there?" So what happened?

Engine go Gablouie! Gus (Zumeda) told him don't turn this engine over 7,000. "But I had the same engine builder Dick Smith had?"

Yes but try Smith's Pond block and titanium rods, etc, etc.? Ken said, "it's ok, they could save the aluminum block".

Point is, only Ford ran Ford parts at Lemans. I think it might have been 'Gas Ronda' that they are still trying to pry the 427's crank out of the track in New Jersey? "Hey Bob...you ever get that out of the track?" (He just smiled...apparently no?)

Seems like that engine is more reputation then anything else? Good to make movies about. Hey. I like 427's. I admit owning a few myself. Can't say that I can still afford them now a'days? Something about the symmetry of how the 4-2-7 goes together on the fender badge? People get mesmerized by it...all but the Hemi guys. They got stuck on the 6. Probably never got to the 7 in school? Who knows right? All those Mopar Taxi cabs with the push button Torque-flites. Hard to miss a shift unless you hurt your finger?  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Wedgeman

Right you are Doug.....even with a brand new 427 Side Oiler Short Block.... it had to be taken apart & extensively reworked so it would live up to 7000 rpm...always followed this rule..Build it to go to 8000 rpm...never take it past 7000..... 8)