News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Left hand outside mirror

Started by Dunerider777, February 15, 2019, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunerider777

I am in the process of finishing restoration of the LH outside rotunda mirror for 6S1164 and need to replace the glass. It had been broken some time in the past and was replaced by a cheap stick on mirror. I wanted to find out if anyone can tell me the outside diameter of the glass so that I can have a new one cut from the glass shop. Thank you.

NC TRACKRAT

I measured a NOS in-the-box example and, as best I can approximate with a dial micrometer, it's 3.300" in diameter.  Keep in mind, the edge of the metal is slightly beveled inward and it will be a snug fit.
5S071, 6S1467

s2ms

You might also try looking for a beat up, pitted original with good glass. They show up on ebay occasionally at decent prices. That way the glass will have the correct small letters/numbers etched on the outer edge.
Dave - 6S1757

6S1568

All original Rotunda mirrors have a factory stencil on them at close to the eleven o'clock position. This stencil is very difficult to see with the mirror mounted on the door, especially with the naked eye. A flashlight and magnifying glass will do the trick. I'm not completely sure what meaning of the stencil is, but I suspect it's a date code of some kind.

The stencil on mine is :

L  AX  5      December 1965?

Perhaps someone on the Forum who is more knowledgeable than I am can shed some light on the exact meaning of this stencil.

I agree with s2ms that a good option would be to find a fair priced used unit somewhere, and recover the mirror part for use on your restoration. Good luck.

jk66gt350

I'm kind of surprised that someone would be able to get the original mirror glass off of a poor condition mirror without damaging it, but I guess with some patience and finesse, anything is possible - or is the design such that the glass and glass mount can be removed together from the mirror housing? 

SFM6S1348

Just did a quick look and there are several used mirrors on E-bay for why ever that worth.
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

Karguy

Is anyone reproducing exact replica mirrors including the stencil on the glass, curious?
Thanks, Karl
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Karguy on February 18, 2019, 10:38:08 PM
Is anyone reproducing exact replica mirrors including the stencil on the glass, curious?
Thanks, Karl

Don't believe so
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

NC TRACKRAT

5S071, 6S1467

I don't know my '65-'66's well, but were any of the bullet mirrors Talbot 300's?

Those are still in production, tho not cheap.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=10310

NC TRACKRAT

Since the '65 GT350's didn't come with a driver's side mirror, the dealer or the owner could install whatever they chose.  Talbots were one of their choices. They are a very well-made, expensive mirror.
5S071, 6S1467

I see they have parts too, including glass;

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=TALBOTBERLIN

Not sure if that would be able to be transferred over to another unit or not.