Author Topic: 1964 8K Tachometer install  (Read 3178 times)

wcampbell

• View Profile
1964 8K Tachometer install
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
All,

I am posting here because I'm pretty sure a lot of "early" 289 COBRA received the 8K Faria Tachometer(s) back in the day. Any way when I bought my car it had been re-wired to accept a much later (80s) tachometer. Now I would like to return the car back to it's late 1963/early 1964 wiring and tach setup. Going through my boxes I found the original tach but I have no mounting bracket, light bulb holder or instructions as to how it's wired. I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with these things? Since there are no visible markings on the back of the tach, I'm having a difficult time discerning what hooks to what without frying the unit. I am attaching a couple pics of it for reference - any comments or helpful thoughts welcome.

Sincerely,
Wayne
wandccampbell@hotmail.com

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: 1964 8K Tachometer install
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
In my notes Cobras fitted with 1963 or 1964 model year HP289s prior to CSX2201 usually (except maybe the earliest) received Rotunda® marked tachometers like that and pictures of several unrestored cars show such installations.  The holes cut and trimmed into the dash panel by AC was for a larger diameter English instrument so each car to get a Rotunda tachometer also had to get a black painted steel reducer adapter also. More than one early Cobra owner has inquired to me about finding a Rotunda marked one for their cars.

Unrestored, not even cleaned up old Cobra's tachometer. Originally the chromium plated bezel of the instrument would have not been plated black and the red V on the lens would have not been there. The steel adapter ring to reduce the hole size inthe panel would have been painted black.

A different car with a cleaner unrestored condition.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:27:22 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »
It probably wouldn't be to difficult to have one of the gauge rebuilding outfits modify the face of your tachometer so that it has the Rotunda logo. It looks like the elimination of the "Faria" and the addition of the "Rotunda" is all that is needed.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:20:36 AM »
Phil Severence is about the only one that has parts and does them correctly.  He re-did the tachometer in my '67 Shelby after Tachman charged me for " rebuilding" my Tach and it failing to function, then refusing to honor it's warranty. We won't go into the rest of the samantics from Tachman. I absolutely don't recommend you allow him to touch anything you have.

wcampbell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »
A little research shows both tachs are essentially the same unit built by Thomas G. Faria out of Connecticut. Their website says the company grew immensely once Ford offered the contract to build all it's automotive tachometers in '62. Basically the tach was just re-branded as "Rotunda". This is why I reached out - I've seen 289s equipped with both variations, though as Dan pointed out the Rotunda seems to be the prevailing (and I believe correct factory tach). I think I may have an idea on wiring the unit, but no mounting bracket or light bulb holder. I'm gonna try to look up and find Phil Severence to see if he has any spares.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:05:02 AM by wcampbell »

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
Phil has done work for me, nice to deal with

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 10:59:21 AM »
Phil redid the tach for 6S550. Could not be mores pleased with result, time, and price.  Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
Phil Severence is about the only one that has parts and does them correctly.  He re-did the tachometer in my '67 Shelby after Tachman charged me for " rebuilding" my Tach and it failing to function, then refusing to honor it's warranty. We won't go into the rest of the samantics from Tachman. I absolutely don't recommend you allow him to touch anything you have.

Had the same experience with Tachman.  start screaming at me when I told him it didnt work.  stay with someone that will stand by their work
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 12:57:40 PM »
BTW  Phil  S   is on vacation until April   so dont send him anything until he gets back
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »
What they said V.  Sent two in for just pigtails; got trash bach with missing parts used for other customer's order

Had the same experience with Tachman.  start screaming at me when I told him it didnt work.  stay with someone that will stand by their work
Tom Kubler
6S296

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »
There is another that is an alternative and does good work.  Bob at Rocketman here in Texas.
                                                                             -Keith

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=contact