Author Topic: Alternator Wiring Harness  (Read 1829 times)

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
Alternator Wiring Harness
« on: February 16, 2019, 04:55:10 PM »
The 67 GT350s have an alternator wiring harness (C7ZB-14305-E) specific to 289s with a tach.

There is a different part number for 390s, so let's stick with GT350s for now.

My alternator harness has been with the car for over 30 years and has a stator wire repair, which leads me to believe it may be original rather than replaced. The boots are Ford style (although the colors are degraded)  and no repairs are done anywhere else. I believe the correct boot colors to be FLD (white), STA (black) and BAT (red). Due to age these morph into all kinds of weird colors.

However, the issue I have is with the battery connector end that SA connects to the standalone terminal stud near the solenoid for the ammeter.

All of the reproductions have a square plastic end molded around the large eyelet. Two of the standard Mustang non-tach alternator harnesses I have are also square.
My "original" harness has a rounded plastic molded end (see pic -- right).

Either my harness is incorrect or there may be more than one vendor supplying these.

I'm about to have mine reproduced with what I think is its correct round plastic end  but would appreciate some input.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

1967 eight barrel

Re: Alternator Wiring Harness
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 06:39:44 PM »
Bill:
I have a GT 500. It retained it's original harness until I replaced it because the boots dry rotted.  The Ford unit that was on it, date coded for Sep '66 has the square insulation, like one of your example.  In my observation I have never noted any factory tach car with the "dog bone" alternator connection. The tach vehicles have three unique harnesses. The Dash, headlamp/engine harness and the alternator harness are different than the non-tach vehicles.

-Keith
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:15:57 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 08:36:48 PM »
Keith -- Yeah, I think the dog bone or molded plastic with caps was a 68/ entity.
I have the same issue with boots as the white turns tan and the red turn black. And they get very, very hard and brittle.

My current harness attaches to the alternator ground screw via a 2" (approx) long plastic U, that has an eyelet for the attachment. The plastic U is held on with tape.
Bill

Skidado

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 04:41:24 AM »
Hopefully picture attached of the back of the alternator as I was removing it for over-winter rebuild (brushes and bearings).  Shows the harness partially removed.

This is GT350 #2751 - original alternator and harness.

David

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 01:20:06 PM »
I appreciate the picture, but I'm trying to drill in on the connector that is hooked to the Shelby (originally Lincoln?) installed insulated post next to the solenoid.

The wiring on the back of my alternator looks the same as pictured.
Bill

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
From a late car, was a Division 1 Premier winner, hope this helps...

(file number is not the car VIN)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
Mine looks like JD's.  It seems Shelby wasn't consistant with block location either..

-Keith