News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT500 Dip Stick Ford Part Number?

Started by 1967 eight barrel, February 17, 2019, 03:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

I have a Cobra Aluminum T-sump Cobra pan. It is listed as a 6.5 quart capacity. When there is 7 quarts in the pan it registers right at the Add line. I have the dipstick that was in the vehicle when purchased in 1982 and I wanted to confirm the number stamped as correct for the application.  It is stamped: C7AE-6750-A. I also have the factory Ford 428 windage tray, which I haven't ever heard of any interference issues. I remember reading that there was a TSB that required the change of the dipstick which changed the indicator marks for the added oil capacity. ( 6 quarts)
I thought that would make sense under the circumstances.

-Keith

shelbydoug

The aluminum pan uses the same dipstick as stock. Which dipstick you use depends on if you are using and original production one or the TSB service replacement.

The windage tray was/is necessary to limit the crank spinning in oil with the greater capacity. The TSB dealt with engine failures of the 428cj's due to oil starvation. The fix was to add more oil to the pan and re-calibrate the dip stick essentially adding two more quarts to the stock pan configuration.

I don't remember how much additional oil the T-pan adds. There was never Ford info on that pan since Ford never produced it. It's an aftermarket pan originally conceived of by Randy Dilisio of the Super Stang Shop in the early '70s, which is why it has SSS in the casting. That was his monogram.

I actually think there are three dipsticks possible. Not just two but it sounds like you have one of the service dipsticks?

This information may be helpful to you.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-oil-level-indicator
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

I have a cobra aluminum t-pan i have had for years that i bought used at a swap meet & it has TDB letters cast in it of which i thought meant Tony D Branda  so was there 2 versions of the big block aluminum t-pan? The easy way to id the first original c7oe dipstick is it is stamped FOMOCO then the second 1969 era dipstick is stamped ford and third dooe late 70 version also stamped ford & all 3 never had the dimple & all 3 had different oil level markings. I think the second version came out when the windage tray  & the new c9zz (shorter smaller baffle )oil pan was used.

1967 eight barrel

As for the FE Cobra T-sump, Tony Branda has some agreement that goes way back with Shelby.  No one else makes them. They are clearly marked TDB.
The windage tray is cheap horse power. I think I paid 20.00 for the NOS I purchased from Ford Power Parts all those years ago.
Here is the dipstick. I believe it to be original. The tube itself is a Drake item, the original mounting tab broke off of what was in the vehicle.   -Keith

Special Ed

C70E chrome handle dipstick is original to 67-69 gt 500

acman63

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 17, 2019, 02:17:57 PM
As for the FE Cobra T-sump, Tony Branda has some agreement that goes way back with Shelby.  No one else makes them. They are clearly marked TDB.
The windage tray is cheap horse power. I think I paid 20.00 for the NOS I purchased from Ford Power Parts all those years ago.
Here is the dipstick. I believe it to be original. The tube itself is a Drake item, the original mounting tab broke off of what was in the vehicle.   -Keith

The Cobra aluminum Oilpan is something Randy D at the Super Stang Shop came up with , Its not a a Ford or Shelby part . He sold the tooling to TDB  and they pay a royalty on each part sold to Ford as they own the name Cobra .  When we restored the 69 Gt500 Convertible for CS  that he had kept since new he must have liked the idea because he installed one with SSS  in raised letters  and we restored it and installed it back on the car . 
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

1967 eight barrel

How long has Branda owned the tooling? I know a foundery in So Ca was sued for making them by Branda.

-Keith

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 17, 2019, 02:17:57 PM

The tube needs to match the dipstick otherwise the depth of the dipstick into the oil will be wrong, effecting the reading.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

Here is a couple things that may help. There is only one style tube for the FE Mustang. The Drake tube was identical other than the bottom where Ford rolled the bottom edges of the tube inward where the stick would pass on the bottom. Here is some good reference informaton. 
The only difference in the Ford offering between the C7AZ and the C7OZ sticks was the chrome handle.

-Keith

charlie D

Here''s a photo of the markings on mine. It is the chrome handle version. The original dipstick was Nicked at a shop many years ago. They put in a replacement that managed to break off as soon as the engine cranked. I bought this one from Branda at a spring Carlisle show back in the late 80's or early 90's. I think it was NOS?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: charlie D on February 27, 2019, 10:26:34 AM
Here''s a photo of the markings on mine. It is the chrome handle version. The original dipstick was Nicked at a shop many years ago. They put in a replacement that managed to break off as soon as the engine cranked. I bought this one from Branda at a spring Carlisle show back in the late 80's or early 90's. I think it was NOS?
That is one of the service replacement versions or second versions as Ed stated in reply #2 . The assembly version will have the chrome handle and FoMoCo in block letters inside a rectangle stamped into the stick. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

The 428 website shows the TSB replacement that adds a quart of oil.  There were starvation issues which prompted these. The 69 oil pan change also has different baffles.  Likely the hard acceleration caused the oil to slosh to the rear of the engine allowing the pick up to momentarily pull air. I assume this was also a response to the warranty engine replacements.  I believe my dipstick to be original. I posted a picture of the stampings on the stick. It was an original with the chrome handle. The plater plated the entire dipstick.
                                                                                       -Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 27, 2019, 12:57:57 PM
The 428 website shows the TSB replacement that adds a quart of oil.  There were starvation issues which prompted these. The 69 oil pan change also has different baffles.  Likely the hard acceleration caused the oil to slosh to the rear of the engine allowing the pick up to momentarily pull air. I assume this was also a response to the warranty engine replacements.  I believe my dipstick to be original. I posted a picture of the stampings on the stick. It was an original with the chrome handle. The plater plated the entire dipstick.
                                                                                       -Keith
In addition I thought I would mention that the consensus of opinion is that the CJ pan changed baffles also had to do because of the 69 windage tray . I do not think the 69 390 Mustang pans had the modified baffle. The 69 CJ pans are hard to find used from what I have seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Bob, Perhaps so. It looks like if they went at the starvation issues from both ends. Control of the oil slosh in the pan and it being whipped at rpm.
                                                                                                            -Keith