News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Question about 1967 Shelby GT350 to be auctioned off at Mecum Houston

Started by 1968CalSpecialTim, February 17, 2019, 04:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968CalSpecialTim

Hey to everyone!  First time poster here, but I've owned a '68 Mustang for a few years.  I recently decided I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a 1967 GT350.  I'm looking at a white car in the Houston Mecum auction.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0419-373062/1967-shelby-gt350-fastback/

It says "concours nut and bolt restoration using NOS and restored original parts".  It also says "Restoration was overseen by two SAAC judges".  Which two SAAC judges are they?  I'd like to speak with them.  At what SAAC event was the car judged and did it score gold?  There are no underside pictures, which always worries me when a car is claimed to be a 'concours nut and bolt restoration'.

I have a copy of the latest SAAC Registry 1965-1967.  For this car, it says "Wiring for side lights were present but no lights were installed'.  I'm guessing they are referring to the upper red lights found on the early '67's?  It sure seems to have them now, so I'm guessing someone added them after the fact?

Thanks for any info you can share.  It's a big investment, so all is appreciated.

Timmy

JD

the owner is a regular on this site and will probably answer your questions.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67_1183

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Shelby_r_b

Hey Timmy,

I'm the owner of #22.  Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks,
Ruben
Nothing beats a classic!

64cobra

I requested the info of the judges as I was interested in the car.  I would suggest you do the same.  Having done the concours judging thing myself always skeptical when claims are made by auction houses.

quote author=1968CalSpecialTim link=topic=4849.msg41871#msg41871 date=1550439735]
Hey to everyone!  First time poster here, but I've owned a '68 Mustang for a few years.  I recently decided I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a 1967 GT350.  I'm looking at a white car in the Houston Mecum auction.

It says "concours nut and bolt restoration using NOS and restored original parts".  It also says "Restoration was overseen by two SAAC judges".  Which two SAAC judges are they?  I'd like to speak with them.  At what SAAC event was the car judged and did it score gold?  There are no underside pictures, which always worries me when a car is claimed to be a 'concours nut and bolt restoration'.

I have a copy of the latest SAAC Registry 1965-1967.  For this car, it says "Wiring for side lights were present but no lights were installed'.  I'm guessing they are referring to the upper red lights found on the early '67's?  It sure seems to have them now, so I'm guessing someone added them after the fact?

Thanks for any info you can share.  It's a big investment, so all is appreciated.

Timmy
[/quote]

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 64cobra on February 18, 2019, 10:43:32 PM
I requested the info of the judges as I was interested in the car.  I would suggest you do the same.  Having done the concours judging thing myself always skeptical when claims are made by auction houses.

quote author=1968CalSpecialTim link=topic=4849.msg41871#msg41871 date=1550439735]

Timmy
[/quote]

Hey Darren,

As mentioned in our PMs, I appreciate you reaching out, and please feel free to contact me directly with any questions you may have.

And, as I put it out there to you (and for others who have reached out to me through Mecum or through PM on this forum) here is my contact information should anyone have questions.  Feel free to contact me directly:

Cell: 224.343.0636
email:  rbonales@yahoo.com

Thanks and have a great night,
Ruben Bonales
Nothing beats a classic!

64cobra

Thanks Rueben.  As we discussed I think you should contact Mecum and revise your description of the car.  As an experienced entrant in several judging venues I have to take exception to the description published by mecum.    Good luck with the sale.

quote author=Shelby_0022 link=topic=4849.msg42010#msg42010 date=1550549021]

Timmy
[/quote]

Hey Darren,

As mentioned in our PMs, I appreciate you reaching out, and please feel free to contact me directly with any questions you may have.

And, as I put it out there to you (and for others who have reached out to me through Mecum or through PM on this forum) here is my contact information should anyone have questions.  Feel free to contact me directly:

Ruben Bonales
[/quote]

64cobra

How much of the sheetmetal has been replaced?    Did you source nos parts or use reproduction sheet metal in the restoration?

Your published info from Mecum is Bogus and no reaching out to you  will clear that.  I suggest you come clean with you assertations on the mecum listing and not hide behind "contact me" for more info.

uote author=64cobra link=topic=4849.msg42011#msg42011 date=1550549537]

Thanks Rueben.  As we discussed I think you should contact Mecum and revise your description of the car.  As an experienced entrant in several judging venues I have to take exception to the description published by mecum.    Good luck with the sale.

quote author=Shelby_0022 link=topic=4849.msg42010#msg42010 date=1550549021]

Timmy
[/quote]

Hey Darren,

Ruben Bonales
[/quote]
[/quote]

Forum Guide

Darren (64cobra)

You first reply was appropriate.. your second was a little harsh... lighten up.

I believe Ruben heard you the first time,....

Thanks

64cobra

Just trying to keep buyers informed.  Apologize if I crossed the line but you cant make claims unless they are substantiated.   Correct.

quote author=Forum Guide link=topic=4849.msg42015#msg42015 date=1550553115]
Darren (64cobra)

Thanks
[/quote]

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 64cobra on February 19, 2019, 12:17:18 AM
Just trying to keep buyers informed.  Apologize if I crossed the line but you cant make claims unless they are substantiated.   Correct.

Darren (64cobra)

Thanks
[/quote]

Apology accepted, Darren. Have a great night!
Ruben
Nothing beats a classic!

64cobra

Rueben

I hope you correct the Mecum auction listing.  As a triple crown winner of just a few I think I know what Im talking about. You misrepresented your car.   Dragging in some names that dont want to be represented with you.  Please be honest with your car.  It has NOT been supervised by 2 saac judges. It is not a concourse car.  Has it been judged by gaines amd speegle? 

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on February 19, 2019, 12:27:22 AM

Darren (64cobra)

Thanks

Ruben
[/quote]

1968CalSpecialTim

Quote from: 64cobra on February 19, 2019, 01:07:45 AM
Rueben

I hope you correct the Mecum auction listing.  As a triple crown winner of just a few I think I know what Im talking about. You misrepresented your car.   Dragging in some names that dont want to be represented with you.  Please be honest with your car.  It has NOT been supervised by 2 saac judges. It is not a concourse car.  Has it been judged by gaines amd speegle? 

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on February 19, 2019, 12:27:22 AM

Darren (64cobra)

Thanks

Ruben
[/quote]

I too am interested in the car.  It seems real nice.  I'm also sorry if I swatted the bee's nest here, being the new guy and all.  Mr. Bonals told me the two judges are Jim Cowles and JD Kaltenbach.  I met Jim C a few years ago at his shop but I don't know Mr Kaltenbach.  Do they work together often?  I know Jim C does really nice work so knowing he restored this car makes me interested.

Either way I plan on checking out the car in Houston in a few weeks.  Good luck to all!

Bill

As the Forum Guide has already stated, and as the moderator of this particular sub forum, your comments in this thread are a bit on the harsh side. I humbly suggest taking anything else you have to say to the seller to a PM.

Quote from: 64cobra on February 19, 2019, 01:07:45 AM
Rueben

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0