Author Topic: The former San Jose Ford Plant  (Read 2894 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
The former San Jose Ford Plant
« on: February 19, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »
I’m in the area this week for work (about 15 minutes north of the old plant; which I understand is now a mall that was converted from the plant in 1994).

I understand there’s a small display in the mall and a plaque outside. Is this worth visiting? Anything else Ford / Shelby related to see in the area?

Thanks !

PS - my relentless efforts in finding a San Jose firewall pad had nothing to do with my interest in seeing these hallowed grounds.  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: The former San Jose Ford Plant
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:50:41 PM »
If you have an address, we can put up a Google Earth image.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
Here's the address:

447 Great Mall Dr, Milpitas, CA 95035

And, here's a cool older article about the plant / mall:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/11/16/the-great-mall-holds-a-great-ford-secret/
Nothing beats a classic!

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:57:21 PM »
I’m in the area this week for work (about 15 minutes north of the old plant; which I understand is now a mall that was converted from the plant in 1994).

I understand there’s a small display in the mall and a plaque outside. Is this worth visiting? Anything else Ford / Shelby related to see in the area?

Thanks !

PS - my relentless efforts in finding a San Jose firewall pad had nothing to do with my interest in seeing these hallowed grounds.  ;)

You might swing by Martinez, Ca.and visit the Cobra Experience Museum.

https://www.cobraexperience.org

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »
This is the plaque.
Tony Navarra of T & D HiPo Motors is in Gilroy. 408-316-9607 deals in Shelby and vintage Mustang used parts. Call ahead.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:12:57 PM by Krelboyne »
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 08:32:25 PM »
Wow - great start!  Thanks to all.

Ruben
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:53:43 PM »

IMHO not really. They use to have cars on display in the mall but believe they have stopped that practice.

Cobra Experience in Martinez ca north of SF has already been mentioned. Might want to see what the consignment shows (collector car sales) have on the show room floor

Which version of the firewall pad are you looking for?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:04:51 PM »
There is also Fantasy Junction in Emeryville just off I-80. This is a specialty car dealer who recently had CSX2000 series Cobra and 66 GT350 for sale not too long ago. Check there website for their inventory. Just a thought, but definitely the Cobra Experience. Continue up I-80 to Hwy4 to Martinez. They are just off 4 at the Center st exit I believe.

Enjoy,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:02:02 AM by SFM5S000 »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
Here's the address:

447 Great Mall Dr, Milpitas, CA 95035

And, here's a cool older article about the plant / mall:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/11/16/the-great-mall-holds-a-great-ford-secret/

Great article.   8)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:02:32 PM »

IMHO not really. They use to have cars on display in the mall but believe they have stopped that practice.

Cobra Experience in Martinez ca north of SF has already been mentioned. Might want to see what the consignment shows (collector car sales) have on the show room floor

Which version of the firewall pad are you looking for?

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff! PM sent.
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:47 PM »
Well, my nerd pilgrimage is now complete, as I’ve seen the rock. No, not Alcatraz - I’ve seen that before.  ;). Picture attached.

As Jeff mentioned, it’s somewhat a non-event, but it was cool to swing by and think about all the really cool and special cars that started their life there. The mall had a small glassed in area with pictures of the former plant, an old Ford (not a Mustang) and some other historical stuff.

Maybe I’m just nostalgic, but it’s sad to think that the plant closed in 1983 and most people who now enter the mall don’t know what specialness took place there more than 50 years ago.

And life goes on...
Nothing beats a classic!

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 11:55:39 PM »
While the Conra Experience is an amazing venue, it has very limited days an hours when it is open:
https://www.cobraexperience.org/

"now open the 3rd Sunday of each month from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, or by event or appointment."

Plan accordingly. 8)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 06:17:56 AM »
Wow, imagine if instead we all asked, "Hey, what's your Milpitas date?"  Interesting that they went with 'San Jose'.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 09:52:35 PM »
Wow, imagine if instead we all asked, "Hey, what's your Milpitas date?"  Interesting that they went with 'San Jose'.

It's funny you mention this, as it seems that wasn't incorporated until 1954. But, I think that Wikipedia does a better job explaining:

"On January 26, 1954, faced with getting swallowed up by a rapidly expanding San Jose, Milpitas residents incorporated as a city that included the recently built Ford Auto Assembly plant. When San Jose attempted to annex Milpitas barely seven years later, the "Milpitas Minutemen" were quickly organized to oppose annexation and keep Milpitas independent. An overwhelming majority of Milpitas registered voters voted "No" to annexation in the 1961 election as a result of a vigorous anti-annexation campaign. Following the election, the anti-annexation committee, who had compared themselves to the Revolutionary War Minutemen who fought the British on Lexington Green—a role filled in this case by the neighboring city of San Jose - adopted the image of Daniel Chester French's Minuteman statue, that stands near the site of the Old North Bridge in Concord, MA, as part of the official city seal."

There was drama even back then.  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 10:03:09 PM »
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative