News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

S7MS Intake

Started by Bossbill, February 20, 2019, 11:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossbill

Was there an introduction date for the S7MS intake?
Or did the S2MS AND S7MS intakes get intermixed in the later stages of production?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

JD

I believe there were multiple versions of both the S2 and S7 intakes and that intermixing occurred, others will know better.

Here is a comparison of two S2MS versions the top being earlier than the bottom which has the extra mount points and the moved PVC port.  (Not sure if there are two similar version of the S7MS intakes - I've only seen the S7 version with the extra mounting points)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

I have seen several versions of the S7 intake. Unfortunately at the time it wasn't important to document them. I've seen different type sizes and variations of the COBRA name plate, including blank S7's and COBRA on the front runner.

I had a S7 with a SHELBY plaque on it with four hole carb table. Way to early to have been a repop. It was just a curiosity and shoulder slugger to me.

I didn't notice variations of the vacuum ports though. Those all seemed to be the same. Very difficult to document those all now just through memory.

The digital camera age has changed everything. 95% of my pics are still on slides.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

I stared to try and track the various Ford Small block 4-V intakes but stopped at this point as there were many more variations...see attached

"Bossbill", maybe a car number and a SJ build date might help to get you an answer...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: JD on February 21, 2019, 09:07:18 AM
I stared to try and track the various Ford Small block 4-V intakes but stopped at this point as there were many more variations...see attached

"Bossbill", maybe a car number and a SJ build date might help to get you an answer...

I understand. I was looking for an S7 about 10-12 years ago. I was shocked and confused by all the variations. Even Coralsnake couldn't answer my question about which version(s) a 68 350 would have or what was expected by the judging team?

I'm not trying to confuse things. I'm trying to understand. Who would have thought that there were so many possibilities. Old school just said, "small letter" and "big letter" COBRA. The variation being for the R models with undrilled ports.

There are just so few documented "factory installed" COBRA intakes on '68's, no one can answer with complete certainty. I suppose the next best answer is what would be accepted in judging?

I can't see where an S2 intake would be acceptable at all but someone needed to make a decision and call them a "recall possibility".

Most 68 GT350's were already produced by the May 15 "deadline" for factory installation. I'd have to look at the Registry but if there were even 15 cars produced after, that would be a lot? Even if we had access to information on those cars, would it indicate a consistent pattern or picture?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossbill

Quote from: JD on February 21, 2019, 09:07:18 AM

The car number and Ford build date are in my sig.
Do you need an SA build date too?
Bill

JD

Quote from: Bossbill on February 21, 2019, 10:45:52 AM

Duh, next week I learn to read!

Was asking for those  bits of info so that other owners with cars near yours might be able to comment as to what is on their car(s) and if they are known to be originals.

(Shelbydoug, since this was posted in the 1967 Shelby category I'm thinking he's asking relative to a '67 and not a '68.)

shelbydoug

Quote from: JD on February 21, 2019, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: Bossbill on February 21, 2019, 10:45:52 AM

Duh, next week I learn to read!

Was asking for those  bits of info so that other owners with cars near yours might be able to comment as to what is on their car(s) and if they are known to be originals.

(Shelbydoug, since this was posted in the 1967 Shelby category I'm thinking he's asking relative to a '67 and not a '68.)

Yes, but haven't you heard? '68s used S7MS intakes also.  ;)  (and '66 'carryovers used S1MS...yada, yada, yada...and so on and so on and so on) Aren't you glad you started this all up?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

Bill,
It is quite possible that an S2MS intake would be on your car from new. The S7MS intake was the common intake but the S2MS intake with the additional mounting near the rear of the intake appeared intermittently through out most of the year until late May when the later style S2MS intake with the larger part number and firing order was sometimes seen.

Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Bossbill

Dave,

I've seen a lot of GT350s over the years and intakes are a source of confusion as there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason to what I've seen.
Considering this car, which I've had for 30 years, is mostly unmolested with a lot of original parts I always wondered about the S2 v. S7 business.

My S2 also has the additional mounting.
Bill