Author Topic: lower body side strip color Blue on a 1965  (Read 4316 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
lower body side strip color Blue on a 1965
« on: February 21, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the exact color of Blue is used on a 1965 GT350 lower body side stripe?  I'm looking to use it in another project unrelated, but want to match the original color.  A pantone number would be awesome if anyone has that knowledge.

Thanks.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: lower body side strip color Blue on a 1965
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 04:16:43 PM »
Same as LeMans stripes.  Could probably dig up a number, but the modern paint formulas change over time.  The GT350 part is a decal on a 65.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

mustmore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 04:29:44 PM »
According to Shelby's painter during the 65-66 run, he hated the blue stripes.  His
response when asked for a name or code for the color was that he never mixed the
blue the same.  He "didn't give a shit" what it looked like, his dislike was so intense.
This was during the Friday night event at the 1st Fontana meet.  The room was filled
with probably 125 people that witnessed his response.

I have seen 3 original paint 65-66 with stripes and the colors have ranged from a
very bright blue to almost a teal color.  I believe he was truthful.

Sue

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 04:34:00 PM »
The side stripes rarely match the Lemans stripes. The Lemans stripes often were Caspian blue. Some were Guardsman. It depends on who painted them.

The side stripes didn't match the GT350 either. You can always tell an original car. None of the blues match.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »
Not what I expected, but thanks.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 06:23:02 PM »
The side stripes rarely match the Lemans stripes. The Lemans stripes often were Caspian blue. Some were Guardsman. It depends on who painted them.

The side stripes didn't match the GT350 either. You can always tell an original car. None of the blues match.

The point is, they were 'supposed' to match.  There are any number of factors that could attribute to the colors not matching exactly, the most relevant being how much paint was applied.  Spraying blue metallic over white, with each pass of the gun the color appearance would change from light to dark.

Even observing a car now with original paint/stripes, would be subjective based on how the car was stored and used, was it polished a lot, what part of the country, etc...

My paint guy was very put out painting lemans and side stripes on a 65.  Can only imagine how much the guy that did it all day disliked the process.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 07:29:19 PM »
No, the side stripes and the optional "Lemans" stripes are Guardsman Blue and should match! What doesn't and shouldn't match on a 1965 GT350 is the side "GT350" as it was a 3M vinyl material which is a shade or two lighter and is non-matellic as opposed to the Guardsman blue.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 07:41:36 PM »
Do they make a template to paint the stripes?

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »
And the reason you're seeing color shade variations these days is the color matching process used it paint shops. If you look at the restorations commissioned by reputable Shelby restorers I.e. John Brown, Tony Connover (sp.?) and a couple others. They are pretty damn close to each other if not exact.
Paint jobs by XYZ custom body shops....well, enter the various shades of what they think it should be.

~E

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
Do they make a template to paint the stripes?

Template? There is a guide to correctly paint 65 side stripes. If the spacing and measurements is followed correctly, the wide middle stripe crosses over the lower door seam and onto the rocker panel there by making the door seam disappear (this was intentional by Pete Brock).

Some painters who attempt to paint 65's (especially clones, tributes) take a shortcut and move the stripes up (exposing the lower door seam). That detail alone shows the 65 was painted wrong.
Some folks opted for the so called 65 side stripe tape kit, though wider than the 66 was still wrong.

Correctly painting 65 side stripes is/was very laborious due to the masking. Then there's the debate on how far up does the paint goes on the rocker portion in the door seam.

~E
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:11:07 PM by SFM5S000 »

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »
The GT350 logos  are a little lighter if you see an original paint car.  we made ours using an original logo we got from earl. 
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
The GT350 logos  are a little lighter if you see an original paint car.  we made ours using an original logo we got from earl.

Thanks Jim for the acknowledgement.

Cheers
~Earl
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:09:54 PM by SFM5S000 »

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
Not what I expected, but thanks.

Are you looking for a reference to match Paint, solid or metallic (automotive or wall/house), or for a vinyl match, solid calendared material , as metallic are slim choices?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

wcampbell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 04:29:10 PM »
Guys,

Let's look at the process in the application - to Charles point we know that who sprayed them varied. My car was a factory demonstrator with the LeMans stripes painted at SA before it left and was delivered (per factory records). Potentially more likely to match because the painter(s) there had a style/method/way to mix and apply the color (rocker and top). Most of the striped cars left SA to have them applied (if purchased) by the dealership selling the car. In this case it's yet another random booth, paint, gun, painter than the rocker application happening 2-3-6 weeks prior to leaving SA. For this reason the odds of it being a perfect match is like winning the lotto.

Wayne

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »
According to Shelby's painter during the 65-66 run, he hated the blue stripes.  His
response when asked for a name or code for the color was that he never mixed the
blue the same.  He "didn't give a shit" what it looked like, his dislike was so intense.
This was during the Friday night event at the 1st Fontana meet.  The room was filled
with probably 125 people that witnessed his response.

I have seen 3 original paint 65-66 with stripes and the colors have ranged from a
very bright blue to almost a teal color.  I believe he was truthful.

Sue

Sue ,
         I was there too. Dennis Ercik (rip) HATED ( according to him) to do '65 stripes because they were a PIA to do and make right. He felt they should have been tape so a "flunky" could put them on and leave him to do "real" paint work . He did stripes mainly at night ( into the wee hours) because no one bothered him and he could concentrate on doing a good job. There are published pictures of him laying out the stripes while looking along the rocker panel.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.