News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine Tag

Started by SFM6S087, February 21, 2019, 11:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM6S087

And now back to our previously scheduled question. Does anyone have a 1966 GT350 after 6s252 that has its original engine tag?

Thanks,
Steve Sloan

shelbydoug

Quote from: acman63 on February 23, 2019, 02:12:44 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 23, 2019, 09:10:43 AM
Do you think there was an intake mask used by Ford so that the intake wasn't painted like was done with the 67 GT500 engine (and other Ford assembled Shelby engines)?

assemblyline pics of 65s at SA  show new intakes on the floor getting ready to install

That's '65s. Weren't the 66 engines assembled by Ford including the Cobra intakes?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chad

Hey Guys,

Yes the intake on 558 was the Cobra aluminum intake.  I can not remember the gentleman's name in WI that did a lot of research on the black intake topic.  I think his name is Dave.  He purchased Jackie Jones' survivor 65 GT350.  I can not remember the number.  He sold it a couple years ago.  Anyway he knows a lot about it.  I believe he figured that towards the end of 65 production Ford installed som of the intakes on the 65 Shelbys and that is why they got painted black.

SFM6S087

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 23, 2019, 03:13:12 PM
Do you think there was an intake mask used by Ford so that the intake wasn't painted like was done with the 67 GT500 engine (and other Ford assembled Shelby engines)?

assemblyline pics of 65s at SA  show new intakes on the floor getting ready to install

That's '65s. Weren't the 66 engines assembled by Ford including the Cobra intakes?

There are some people who believe that. I'm not one of them. I'm having an off-line discussion on that topic right now. It gets a bit detailed to cover productively in a forum setting. For example, my file of research on that topic is 7 pages long. Plus several pertinent factory documents, and some quotes from a few notable people who may not want to see their words repeated in a public discussion.

And I'll admit that I could be wrong, so I prefer not to discuss this online until I get my research critiqued by some of the people who disagree with me. I've found that a good way to learn is to discuss things with people who have opposing views - not just those who agree with me.

Obviously I think I'm right, but if I'm wrong, I don't want to spread false info in the public domain.

In any case, I respectfully request that this question be shelved temporarily while some, hopefully productive, exchanges of evidence and ideas goes on privately.

Respectfully,
Steve Sloan

Dan Case

Quote from: Chad on February 23, 2019, 05:31:30 PM
Hey Guys,
He purchased Jackie Jones' survivor 65 GT350.  I can not remember the number. 

SFM5S142 I believe. We sold SFM5S142 October 29, 1983 working our way toward Cobra CSX2310.  The GT350 didn't even have surface rust on anything except on some of the exhaust sections when we had it as it had always been parked inside or parked in a climate controlled building. I tried to take color pictures of all the chalk and grease pencil markings on the chassis and major parts. Unfortunately everything 1965-66 GT350 I had (pick up mini pickup truck load of nos parts in blue and gray FoMoCo(R) packages, literature, and all the photos and their negatives) went home with the car buyer.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

J_Speegle

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 23, 2019, 01:48:34 PM

I've never heard of nor seen any evidence of that on the GT350's as we find on the 67 GT500 or the Boss 302's for examples. Overspray or paint blow out on gaskets, intake or other areas around the edges of the intake as you would find with a mask. On the 500's they didn't have a choice since the head and intake design is so different - doesn't allow  for an easy swap due to the valve train design. Always difficult somewhat, to put ourselves in the minds of engineers and plant managers of the time period looking backwards IMHO

Was reminded as I look through my picture collection looking at some other details that if a mask had been used for the small block engine painting with COBRA intake in place that the intake bolts holding the intake to the engine would not have been painted blue as we find them on original cars.

Just thought that should be mentioned also.   

Discussions will continue as they should  :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Looks like a "pile" of swaybars heaped there as well.

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: SFM6S087 on February 23, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on February 22, 2019, 03:41:36 PM
5s363 had an untouched engine and its original engine tag in '91.  bare aluminum intake

Sfm6sxxx, that's great information for my research. Thanks for sharing!

Steve
i
If you want a picture or just the info, let me know.  When I sold the car, the person that bought/restored the car kept the tag.  After he sold the car, he later sold the tag on ebay a few years ago and my friend bought it.  So, I went and took some pics today.

6S1114

SFM6S087

Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on February 23, 2019, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: SFM6S087 on February 23, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on February 22, 2019, 03:41:36 PM
5s363 had an untouched engine and its original engine tag in '91.  bare aluminum intake

Sfm6sxxx, that's great information for my research. Thanks for sharing!

Steve
i
If you want a picture or just the info, let me know.  When I sold the car, the person that bought/restored the car kept the tag.  After he sold the car, he later sold the tag on ebay a few years ago and my friend bought it.  So, I went and took some pics today.

That is a very nice offer. I would love to have some pics. Can you email them to me? Just click on my user name in the left column and it will take you to my profile that includes my email address. I hesitate to post it here for fear of getting more spam that I already get.

THANKS!
Steve Sloan

SFM6S087

I'm still looking for an original engine tag on 1966 GT350 (after 6s252). I don't want to buy it, I just want to know if one exists and possibly get a picture.

But while we're waiting, if you have a 1966 GT350 (after 252) that has its engine ID sticker/label, can you post what's on that sticker. On the carryovers I'm familiar with that sticker is on the coil and says "554J." I'm interested in learning if the later 1966 cars had that same "554J" or something else.

Thanks,
Steve

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 23, 2019, 07:35:09 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on February 23, 2019, 01:48:34 PM

I've never heard of nor seen any evidence of that on the GT350's as we find on the 67 GT500 or the Boss 302's for examples. Overspray or paint blow out on gaskets, intake or other areas around the edges of the intake as you would find with a mask. On the 500's they didn't have a choice since the head and intake design is so different - doesn't allow  for an easy swap due to the valve train design. Always difficult somewhat, to put ourselves in the minds of engineers and plant managers of the time period looking backwards IMHO

Was reminded as I look through my picture collection looking at some other details that if a mask had been used for the small block engine painting with COBRA intake in place that the intake bolts holding the intake to the engine would not have been painted blue as we find them on original cars.

Just thought that should be mentioned also.   

Discussions will continue as they should  :)

I remember the "previous" discussion about intakes. I didn't realize that now they have  been elevated to confidential internal discussions by authorized negotiators? I suppose some would consider that as progress?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM6S087

I remember the "previous" discussion about intakes. I didn't realize that now they have  been elevated to confidential internal discussions by authorized negotiators? I suppose some would consider that as progress?  ;D

As far as I know, there are no "authorized negotiators" – just curious enthusiasts using various methods to research these cars.

I see this forum as a great place to exchange ideas and information, and to actually invite new data and constructive criticism into a research project. But it's not the only way to accomplish those goals. Sometimes alternate methods can be more productive. I've met many people who will share info confidentially, off-line that they would never post on the internet. And I have seen constructive forum discussions devolve into turf wars and personal insults. Not exactly optimum for productive research. Personally, I find a combination of forum and off-line discussions work pretty well for me.

But that's just me. Please, don't let me hold you back. I encourage you to start a new topic on anything you wish. Although I do respectfully request that you let this particular thread stay about engine tags and labels.

BTW, if you wish to discuss this privately my email is listed in my member profile. How's that for irony?  :)

Thanks,
Steve Sloan

shelbydoug

Quote from: SFM6S087 on February 24, 2019, 12:08:10 PM

As far as I know, there are no "authorized negotiators" – just curious enthusiasts using various methods to research these cars.

BTW, if you wish to discuss this privately my email is listed in my member profile. How's that for irony?  :)

Thanks,
Steve Sloan

Amazingly ironic but progressive in effect. It's too bad we lost so much info in the crash. I often would refer to previous posts to refresh my memory and avoid rehashing and opening old wounds, which is not my intent.

I simply forget what exactly was discussed. Putting those discussions into private posts doesn't help document anything including the disagreements.

So far, I haven't seen anyone respond about having the tags. Maybe cross discussions can help smoke those out? One never knows?  ;)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM6S087

shelbydoug, I'm with you. We lost a lot in the forum 1.0 crash. I have files of data with links to a forum topic where some of that info came from. Obviously those are dead links now.

And I appreciate your positive attitude. It will be great if this smokes out some tag info. But even if it doesn't, it's nice to know that someone I've never met is trying to help me. Thank you.

Whatever I learn about these cars will eventually find it's way to this forum. In part, as a partial payback for all the great info others have shared here with me. And in part to test its validity. There's nothing like posting something here to get some of the most knowledgeable criticism in the Shelby world. That's the stuff of good research - throw it out to the best experts you know and see if it stands up.

Steve Sloan

shelbydoug

I'm curious about the tags too, as well as the ten or so black painting intakes. I've seen all sorts of scenarios smoke out info or lead off in another unsuspected direction that others were wondering about as well.

I try to remember that much of the enthusiasm is inspired by passion and that passion can easily erupt and be misunderstood as a dysfunctional sociofile attitude.

Alot of these big rambling threads eventually derive some interesting information and I can understand that if one was an efficiando of the Dewy Decimal system, anything out of place would be a deduction from one's final grade. I might have failed "Library" in seventh grade? I don't remember but remember that the "teacher" was constantly infuriated? She might have been one of the teachers that committed suicide and jumped out of the window? The library was on the third floor so it was high enough? Hum?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!