News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Automatic shifter detent, oh Mr Yergovich!

Started by roddster, February 06, 2018, 10:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddster

There is a two page article in Mustang Times (MCA Feb 2018) about the shifter detent Ford put only on the 67 Mustangs that were ordered with the Competion Suspension option AND automatic transmission.
   If you have a photo of the bottom of the adjuster and the extra welded on plate it rubs, it would be appreciated.  Looking to see if there is a spring loaded ball up inside the adjuster and what the shapes of the detents are in the extra plate.  There are not many of these.  It might be easier to just make one than to wait out Ebay for 20 years.  Thanks.

Bob G:  I think you posted in the "lost" forum:  The measurement or a side by side shape of the shifter side PRNDL detent differences.  Care to repost?  Thanks.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on February 06, 2018, 10:25:20 AM
  There is a two page article in Mustang Times (MCA Feb 2018) about the shifter detent Ford put only on the 67 Mustangs that were ordered with the Competion Suspension option AND automatic transmission.
   If you have a photo of the bottom of the adjuster and the extra welded on plate it rubs, it would be appreciated.  Looking to see if there is a spring loaded ball up inside the adjuster and what the shapes of the detents are in the extra plate.  There are not many of these.  It might be easier to just make one than to wait out Ebay for 20 years.  Thanks.

Bob G:  I think you posted in the "lost" forum:  The measurement or a side by side shape of the shifter side PRNDL detent differences.  Care to repost?  Thanks.
You mean these? FYI I have not known Jeff Yergovich to post on any of the forums.  I am not sure if he even reads them .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

It was covered on the precrash site. Here are some pictures from that thread

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

FYI I have never seen one for sale in all my years. Maybe one slipped by when I wasn't looking or before I knew a difference But don't ever remember coming across one or heard about anyone who had. JY was the one that brought it to my attention years ago. I don't remember a side by side comparison posted but maybe there was. JY has the only extra example I have ever seen but I don't think he ever made a pattern. I will talk to him tomorrow or the next day and find out.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Bob:  Seems you posted a sketch of the detent measurements.  I might have printed a copy.  Now I just need to find it if I did.

All:  Good news is the McMaster - Carr has these spring loaded detent pins in their catalog.  Cannot tell from the photo if I need the 1/4 X 20, or the 3/8 X 24 theaded pin.
  Also need to know if there is any type of depression the the pin slips into or nothing.  That is on the plate that is weled to the side if the shifter mount.

KR Convertible

The threads in the picture are not fine threads.  I would guess 1/4-20.

KR Convertible

And if they are 1/4-20, I would guess the set screws are 8-32.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 07, 2018, 01:26:34 AM

FYI I have never seen one for sale in all my years. Maybe one slipped by when I wasn't looking or before I knew a difference But don't ever remember coming across one or heard about anyone who had. JY was the one that brought it to my attention years ago. I don't remember a side by side comparison posted but maybe there was. JY has the only extra example I have ever seen but I don't think he ever made a pattern. I will talk to him tomorrow or the next day and find out.
I forgot to post that when I talked to JY and he said that he has not attempted to make a pattern of the special detent plate to modify a stock shifter . He does still have the shifter he found at the swap meet.

roddster

All good.  Sorry folks, I should have mentioned 5/16 X 20 (or 24)

KR Convertible

Standard pitch for 5/16 is either 18 or 24.  Picture is coarse thread 18, so set screws would probably be 10-32.  Cutting/fixing threads is something I deal with on a daily basis.