News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Early GT 350 (10/66) Dash Emblem Attachment

Started by DGSOH, February 23, 2019, 04:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGSOH

How is the emblem secured to the dash, speed nuts maybe?

The emblem that came on my car when I acquired it had it's pins broken off and was glued to the dash, I've got another emblem with it's pins intact. If it is nutted from the back, is it secured from the back of the panel or the back of the dash?

Also present were what look like either black rubber or nylon bushings in the panel pin holes. When the car was disassembled I was thinking maybe the emblem was just sort of press fit into place but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks -

DGSOH

JD

Sounds like what you are describing are Barrel Clips or Sleeve Nuts, they were used on the deck lid and fenders. There are different depths and diameters.  Here is one example.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/tube-nut-kit-mustang-individual-letters-14-332/151886?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dsleeve%252Bnut%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1967&year=1967

The dash you may need to find a better backing piece or add some posts to the one you have.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

roddster

Agreed on the probable barrel clips as my early car has them.  But, in 50+ years, better check the backside of the emblem.

1967 eight barrel

My vehicle had a flat metal clip held on from the back. There were two clips.

DGSOH

DGSOH

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 23, 2019, 07:33:45 PM
For curiosity's sake, are the flat metal clips installed on the back of the plastic panel or the back of the metal dash and is there reason to believe it was done this way as SA?

Thanks -

DGSOH

JD

Quote from: DGSOH on February 24, 2019, 04:30:26 AM
For curiosity's sake, are the flat metal clips installed on the back of the plastic panel or the back of the metal dash and is there reason to believe it was done this way as SA?

Thanks -
DGSOH

Doug, are you asking about fasteners for the emblem on the dash?

Or how the passenger side aluminum insert adhered to the metal backing with the tabs that hold them to the chromed plastic part and that assembly is held to the metal dash with the large stamped metal hex speed-nuts by the 8 large plastic studs on the back of the chromed plastic "tray"?

(Call if you want to discuss)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

DGSOH

Quote from: JD on February 24, 2019, 09:27:53 AM

Or how the passenger side aluminum insert adhered to the metal backing with the tabs that hold them to the chromed plastic part and that assembly is held to the metal dash with the large stamped metal hex speed-nuts by the 8 large plastic studs on the back of the chromed plastic "tray"?

JD,

No not the steel backed aluminum panel that attaches to the chromed plastic passenger side dash panel, have that figured out : ). I'm talking about the GT 350 emblem.

I interpreted 678B's comment to suggest that his emblem is attached to the dash panel with those flat spring steel clips found elsewhere, like to hold the seat buttons to the upholstery. The emblem pins are long enough to pass through the dash panel (aluminum/steel/chromed plastic assembly) and the actual steel dash. Was just curious, given my interpretation of 678B's comment, if those clips on his car are attached to the back side of the chrome panel or the back side of the actual steel dash and if perhaps it was considered typical.

If attached to the back side of the chrome panel, and it was typical from SA then that would suggest the chrome panel was removed before the stock emblem was replaced with the Shelby emblem. If however the clips were installed on the back side of the steel dash it might suggest the emblem was installed without removing the chrome panel.

Like I said, just curious about the procedure at SA regarding the dash emblem. I'm going to try to use my original tube/barrel nuts if I can and if I can't thankfully replacements are available - thanks for the link.

Thanks -

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DGSOH on February 24, 2019, 09:50:15 AM
Quote from: JD on February 24, 2019, 09:27:53 AM

JD,

No not the steel backed aluminum panel that attaches to the chromed plastic passenger side dash panel, have that figured out : ). I'm talking about the GT 350 emblem.

I interpreted 678B's comment to suggest that his emblem is attached to the dash panel with those flat spring steel clips found elsewhere, like to hold the seat buttons to the upholstery. The emblem pins are long enough to pass through the dash panel (aluminum/steel/chromed plastic assembly) and the actual steel dash. Was just curious, given my interpretation of 678B's comment, if those clips on his car are attached to the back side of the chrome panel or the back side of the actual steel dash and if perhaps it was considered typical.

If attached to the back side of the chrome panel, and it was typical from SA then that would suggest the chrome panel was removed before the stock emblem was replaced with the Shelby emblem. If however the clips were installed on the back side of the steel dash it might suggest the emblem was installed without removing the chrome panel.

Like I said, just curious about the procedure at SA regarding the dash emblem. I'm going to try to use my original tube/barrel nuts if I can and if I can't thankfully replacements are available - thanks for the link.

Thanks -
Or you can squirt some silicone in the holes before pushing the pins of the emblem in and accomplish the same thing. Of course that is if function is your main concern.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: DGSOH on February 24, 2019, 04:30:26 AM
Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 23, 2019, 07:33:45 PM
They are a flat spring steel clip. It was used on the horizontal pins only and on the back side of the metal portion of the dash itself. not the trim.
                                                                                                -Keith

Thanks -

DGSOH

DGSOH

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 24, 2019, 10:57:11 PM
They are a flat spring steel clip. It was used on the horizontal pins only and on the back side of the metal portion of the dash itself. not the trim.
                                                                                                -Keith

Thanks Keith, that's what I was interested in.

I wonder if others have a similar attachment method?

1967 eight barrel

I think I have a loose one. Would you like me to post a picture of it?

-Keith