Author Topic: 67 Shelby GT500 with 427 Side Oiler Engine.  (Read 5542 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 Shelby GT500 with 427 Side Oiler Engine.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »
Right you are Doug.....even with a brand new 427 Side Oiler Short Block.... it had to be taken apart & extensively reworked so it would live up to 7000 rpm...always followed this rule..Build it to go to 8000 rpm...never take it past 7000..... 8)

Hum. I had this discussion with one of the mechanics that was with the "continuation Mark IV" GT40's at either the SAAC Convention at Millville or at VIR? I forget which one. It's all bluring into an orgy of horsepower depravity now but I digress.

Now we were talking about 427's that originally went into the Mark II's and Mark IV's. Now in reality, the engine wasn't their part of it. They literally built the cars, pop rivet by pop rivet. Something like 6,000 in each car, but I digress again...my question was why do you build a car around an engine that is intended to go up against the Ferarri's turning upteen bazillion rpm's with an engine limited to 6,000 rpm?

The response was, "what? WTF you talking about?" "You didn't know that?" Huming and hawing and looking back and forth at each other then saying, "well yeh (<NC southern accent), the valve springs only were good for a max of 7,000rpm!"

I said, "that's my point. You're got heads, rods, pistons and a forged steel crank good for 10,000 rpm's. Why?" Shrug shoulders. "I do know?"

The answer really is the 427 is a good base start. Especially for a production based engine BUT it's just a start. Don't worry though. After 65 years, they got it right (but not with stock parts  ;) )
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
I enjoy the speculative aspect of enthusiast threads like this.  Fun to read the myriad of rationalizations for engineering, budgeting and marketing decisions.  Now with near total passing of those in the game, the tales have taken on a life of their own.  I consider myself near blessed to have worked with senior, Ford engine designers in the late '70s.  Some who saw my youthful reverence of their experience as a sounding board for the 427 program.  Still have a multi page set of original block drawings locked away having promised to never show them to anyone.  Since, other drawings of various revision levels have appeared.  Let the tales go on.

That's what a Legend is. Something bigger and far beyond what it ever was in reality.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
Speaking of 427 GT 500’s, does anyone recall the VIN’s of the two factory 67 427 Shelby’s?
Not counting #544 Super Snake.

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 01:13:57 PM »
Guys ya have to remember even when the cars were new we CHANGED things to our liking. When the Mustangs came out the aftermarket stuff was enormous. I had a new 65 Mustang conv. Within a few months I did a dual exhaust. While later a Cobra intake an new mag wheels. Did my 68 the same way.Fast forward to 69. Bought a new 70 Mach1 CJ Drag pack car. Month later had new Crager SS rime and a set of lakewood traction bars. Then a set of headers. Guages and BIG tires. Then swapped my CJ for a med riser 427. 8) Come on we didn't treat them like a garage queen. Life was a lot different them. Oh.. Robie Ford (Dorchester,Ma.)also did engine swaps and NEW cars with 427's

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 01:51:51 PM »
Speaking of 427 GT 500’s, does anyone recall the VIN’s of the two factory 67 427 Shelby’s?

#0289 - #0544 - #1947 are the only three SA factory built 427's.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
Guys ya have to remember even when the cars were new we CHANGED things to our liking. When the Mustangs came out the aftermarket stuff was enormous. I had a new 65 Mustang conv. Within a few months I did a dual exhaust. While later a Cobra intake an new mag wheels. Did my 68 the same way.Fast forward to 69. Bought a new 70 Mach1 CJ Drag pack car. Month later had new Crager SS rime and a set of lakewood traction bars. Then a set of headers. Guages and BIG tires. Then swapped my CJ for a med riser 427. 8) Come on we didn't treat them like a garage queen. Life was a lot different them. Oh.. Robie Ford (Dorchester,Ma.)also did engine swaps and NEW cars with 427's
I don't think any header mfg's started making a non custom over the counter steel tube headers for a 427 in a Mustang body until late 68 or 69. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »

I don't think any header mfg's started making a non custom over the counter steel tube headers for a 427 in a Mustang body until late 68 or 69.
[/quote]

I don't know about 68/69 thing. Remember the after market stuff was really strong and available. 67 had 390s so I am sure they had headers for it.   We had a local guy Tubular Automotive in Rockland Ma.(Still in business) That custom made them.  Made 2 sets for us. We cut the car up when it had 8k on it. Well I made it like I wanted it.  8)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »
I enjoy the speculative aspect of enthusiast threads like this.  Fun to read the myriad of rationalizations for engineering, budgeting and marketing decisions.  Now with near total passing of those in the game, the tales have taken on a life of their own.  I consider myself near blessed to have worked with senior, Ford engine designers in the late '70s.  Some who saw my youthful reverence of their experience as a sounding board for the 427 program.  Still have a multi page set of original block drawings locked away having promised to never show them to anyone.  Since, other drawings of various revision levels have appeared.  Let the tales go on.

That's what a Legend is. Something bigger and far beyond what it ever was in reality.
   Legendary... (Adjective) This is its meaning- Famous, Popular, Celebrated, Famed, Renowned, Acclaimed, Illustrious, Remembered, Unforgettable. This engine stands alone and certainly doesn't need any introductions. With enough street cred and race track cred to shine like a beacon of light 50 years after its intro speaks volumes. No down sides unless spending 15 plus dollars a gallon of fuel is taken into consideration. ;D

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 06:09:45 AM »

Legendary... (Adjective) This is its meaning- Famous, Popular, Celebrated, Famed, Renowned, Acclaimed, Illustrious, Remembered, Unforgettable. This engine stands alone and certainly doesn't need any introductions. With enough street cred and race track cred to shine like a beacon of light 50 years after its intro speaks volumes. No down sides unless spending 15 plus dollars a gallon of fuel is taken into consideration. ;D

I wanted to get a holiday designated for it but the Chevy guys objected. They  couldn't stop laughing too. I hate when that happens.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »

#0289 - #0544 - #1947 are the only three SA factory built 427's

Thanks Rich!