News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Correct brake distribution block with proportioning valve GT500

Started by Eritor, February 23, 2019, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eritor

Try to restore my distribution block but need to now if i have the right one? Should it have proportioning valve inside or a separate proportioning valves. West coast classic give me this one but I have this (last picture)? ET
Shelby GT500 #0329 Wimbledon, black interior, C6.
Shelby GT500 -13 Black with black stripes, TP, PP, Recaro, Glass roof.
Mustang GT 5.0 -17 Magnetic metallic, Ebony Black, GT Performance Package,  automatic transmission, Brembo.

68stangcjfb

The new one you have pictured is a 68 Style. 67s have the proportioning valve in the back by the rear axle.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

1967 eight barrel

The block up front is a distribution block with the shuttle valve.. It's job is to seperate the front brakes from the rear and if there is a failure the shuttle valve shifts to protect the integrity of the front or rear brakes.  The valve that is at the rear left looks like the one on the '68 up style.  However, it isn't a proportioning valve either. It maintains a slight amount of pressure in the brake line.
                                                                                            -Keith

Eritor

Thanks but need same more information. Is this one the right near master cylinder? But where is the place for the one at rear axle and how does it look. Do the have a Ford number.
ET
Mustang GT 5.0 -17 Magnetic metallic, Ebony Black, GT Performance Package,  automatic transmission, Brembo.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Eritor on February 24, 2019, 05:10:57 AM
Thanks but need same more information. Is this one the right near master cylinder? But where is the place for the one at rear axle and how does it look. Do the have a Ford number.
ET
The distribution block is near the master and has the plastic brake light switch screwed in. The long brass cylinder proportioning valve (bias between front and back brakes ) has a C7 engineering number prefix on the 67 version and C8 prefix on the 68-70 version. They preform the same identical function and are interchangeable however the C8 is the more evolved version of the too. The 67 version is mounted inline on the sheet metal of the chassis above the rear end housing . The 68-70 version is mounted near the 68-70 style distribution block seen in the posted picture. FYI you should make sure the proportioning valve is rebuilt regardless of what year before going to the trouble of installing it and the associated bleeding of the brakes. Rebuild kits are available. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 24, 2019, 01:03:59 PM
The distribution block is near the master and has the plastic brake light switch screwed in. The long brass cylinder proportioning valve (bias between front and back brakes ) has a C7 engineering number prefix on the 67 version and C8 prefix on the 68-70 version. They preform the same identical function and are interchangeable however the C8 is the more evolved version of the too. The 67 version is mounted inline above the rear end housing . The 68-70 version is mounted near the 68-70 style distribution block seen in the posted picture. FYI you should make sure the proportioning valve is rebuilt regardless of what year before going to the trouble of installing it and the associated bleeding of the brakes. Rebuild kits are available. 
[/quote]
Just in case this is mis-understood - it is located on the uni-body drivers-side on the vertical-ish panel forward of the rear end housing not to the rear-end housing.  Having a hard time finding a photo in my files.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

JWH

Here is the general location on a 1967. Note you can see the rear shock and the exhaust hanger. This is on the drivers side and you can see the metal tab that the rubber brake hose runs through. You should find the metal tab welded to your floor above the rear axle housing.
Jeff

Eritor

Yes I have only this one there. Its not a proportioning valve and if i follow the line is not there.
Where can I by the right one and the distribution block?

JWH

My apologies, I have updated the links in my post. Thanks Bob.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Eritor on February 24, 2019, 05:54:49 PM
Yes I have only this one there. Its not a proportioning valve and if i follow the line is not there.
Where can I by the right one and the distribution block?
The picture you posted is not of the 67 style distribution block. Here is a link to a nice reproduction of the 67 original . https://www.npdlink.com/product/distribution-block-exact-repro-mounts-to-inner-fender/148102
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

These are the correct parts you need. There should be no adapters or couplers.
Distribution block, 1967  W/ Disc.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/distribution-block-exact-repro-mounts-to-inner-fender/148102?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3DBrake%252Bdistribution%252Bblock%252Bdisc%252Bbrakes%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1967&year=1967
Residual pressure valve. This goes in the rear where you have a coupler.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/proportioning-valve-disc-brake-exact-repro-note-that/186693?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3D1967%252Bbrake%252Bresidual%252Bvalve%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1967&year=1967

Tool to keep the distribution valve centered while it is bled. Buy it. Otherwise you'll wind up with the shuttle valve off center, poor braking and the brake light remaining lit on the dash.  You simply screw it in where the white brake switch is, bleed the brakes, remove and replace the switch. That simple.
https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=914-7&top_parent=200001&year=1967

This is the way to do it right. Dissmiss anything else you're told.
                                                                                         -Keith