Author Topic: First FE HiPo heads made  (Read 5202 times)

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
First FE HiPo heads made
« on: February 24, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
Offered today is a set of the very first HiPo heads made for FE engines.

I checked the intake and exhaust ports, and compared them next to a C5ae F, med riser head.
Exactly the same.
Chambers  dimensions are the same also.

These heads are like a set of Hi Riser heads in the chambers, both were FACTORY machined smooth.
I posted questions about these herein SAAC about a month or so ago to find out what they were.

First NASCAR and Drag racing heads, is basically what they are.

Quite rare, as was cost prohibitive for Ford to make and machine.
Not cut on or ever planed.

There are no numbers on the heads, somebody ground them off, had to have been done over 40 years ago,
as that is how long my buddy Cooper has had them.

Asking $625.00

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

427heaven

• View Profile
Re: First FE HiPo heads made
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 01:59:17 PM »
John - What you seem to be discussing are 58- 59 heads. I have a pair of these with cloverleaf machined combustion chambers, Those should have had the numbers 575 cast into them. Pictures would tell the story, they have even smaller combustion chambers than the medium riser heads and will really wake up an anemic FE ;D

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:58:47 AM »
They're not hipo. They are high compression with small intake 2.03 and 1.56. The chanbers are too small for most FE applications as they produce almost 13:1 in a flat top pistoned 428.  On Ebay they fetch about 3-400.00
                                                                                     -Keith

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »
They're not hipo. They are high compression with small intake 2.03 and 1.56. The chanbers are too small for most FE applications as they produce almost 13:1 in a flat top pistoned 428.  On Ebay they fetch about 3-400.00
                                                                                     -Keith
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Keith,
I went first thing and pulled them up and put them on the bench, ex and Intake valves fit in an uncut c5ae _f head, valves drop right into these hipo heads and fit basically flush in both sets, chambers look exacting.

Chambers are factory machined in these hipo heads, what are specially prepped heads from Ford called, boat anchors?

With respect, Truly not sure what you are talking about?
I am horrible at moving pictures, if somebody helped, you guys could take a look.

But, somebody from the site here has requested pictures, I can send them by my picasa, so they may be sold.
Not for the price of a 390 GT heads though.

427 heaven, I think you are correct, but the chambers seem to be same depth and width in all directions ??

427 Eight barrel, please send me the link for the set on ebay if any, would appreciate it, not afraid to be proven wrong, happens to everybody.!!
Respectfully submitted,
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »
This is a case where we are all correct. Those definitely are the true FIRST hipo heads the ones that started it all. They are very similar to MR heads big ports, small chambers, but very small valves. With a little bowl work, cut the heads for larger valves and seats you have a poor mans set of Medium riser heads, ;) They are not for everyone with super high compression, but for a few of us they are fantastic to wake up your sluggish FE. Bolting a pair of these on a 7.5 8.0 compression ratio Fe will make you feel like you have an extra engine under the hood. 60 years ago the engineers were just getting their feet wet on what makes a good running engine. 10 years later they hit the sweet spot with the COBRAS GT 40S SUPER SNAKE and the rest. They definitely sell for more than the average LO-PO heads on EPAY. Good luck on the sale and or purchase of these heads they are great runners if properly set up.

cushmancomp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »
Sure sound like 352 HP heads. The reason the chambers are small was the displacement was small. 427 HR valves would not open into any bore ford used before 1963. HR-TP valves require a notch for clearance even in a 4.25 bore.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:26:35 AM by cushmancomp »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »
Cushman, they are likely 352 heads.  CoAF heads are really listed as the first performance head. However, the chamber design is what many later race heads used.
The ports were the 2.34 tall, but the lack the ring in the intake port.  They are a 2.03 X 1.56 valve head. Not to say someone didn't work on them at some juncture.  They just don't have much value because of the size of the chamber. I think they were 59CC.  I was running C2SE-C 406 tri power heads on my 428. The compression was about 12.5:1 with a 64CC chamber. They were NOS, I sold them because of the issue. Just not practical on street engine. The advent of multiple choices and the reasonable Edelbrock heads many have gone away from OE on all but numbers cars.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:43:13 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 09:25:39 AM »
These are not even remotely like the early heads I have listed here, not even close.
I sent pics from my picasa to a member of SAAC last night, a 427 Medium riser head right next to it, in 5 pictured angles.

Unless there is an inside port with something that can not be seen, the 427 M & the 352 hipo heads I have here are identical.
Even slid the 427 M valves into the 352 hipo heads.

John

cushmancomp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 10:02:00 AM »
Isn't there a casting date on them?.. I don't understand what makes them so early and rare if they look like a stock MR head with numbers ground off?  Why can't they be a normal MR head made in 1970?  Hard to figure out this mystery w/o pics.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 10:20:56 AM »
My guess would be if they don't have the clover combustion chambers that they are medium riser heads, and the best reason for ground off numbers would be to hide their numbers because they were not allowed in a certain race class at the time. Example..... Stock, Super Stock would not allow these to be used in a Mustang application. 40- 50 years ago tech would most likely let it slide , a possibility.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 12:27:25 PM »
  Hard to figure out this mystery w/o pics.

Are there core/Welsh plugs in the ends of the heads?  If so, and without photos, I would presume     ???     1958 352's, as these early castings had the machined combustion chamber, and it does appear similar to the M.R.'s configuration, just somewhat smaller for the 352 cu. in. capacity.

Perhaps this is a little like an on-line forum version of..............."Pin-Tha-Tail-On-Tha-Donkey"!      ::)

Scott.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 12:43:49 PM »
     John ,
        I have to agree with Jay here.  In reality there are well over 100 different FE heads that Ford made but not all of them made it to production.  "The first" Hipo heads for the FE is as you see the subject of much speculation. It does sound like you have a medium riser head of some sort.  While "ONE" was listed as a "production and service part" , the reality is there were several variations that didn't make it to production status. I know of at least ten different varieties of MR heads done as "SK" heads. These were "development heads" done to evaluate changes in valve pocket machining , porting and chamber machining by the change notes in the SK log book I have.
    Without part numbers it is extremely difficult to tell exactly what you have. There "could" be hand stamped numbers on the ends of the heads too. Casting dates could be helpful if they have not been removed. "Medium riser" cylinder head development began in '64 by the race engine group as an alternative to the high riser as some felt the port was too big on them. Medium risers all had the machined combustion chambers like the late high risers and later tunnel ports. Cost was not a factor in their rarity. Anyone with $100+ could buy a medium riser head from his Ford dealer , MANY thousands were made.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 02:54:28 PM »
I am not good at trying to cut and paste pictures.
Anyone that is interested in these factory high performance heads, just email me by normal email address.

I can send pictures by my picasa.
Sorry guys, just screw up trying to attach to sites.
Respectfully submitted,
John
motorcarinvestments@gmail.com

Side by side pictures of the C5 -F 427 MR heads as comparisons to these 352 hipo's are available

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 03:20:03 PM »
Might it be of some value if these hi-po what ever heads were cc'd? Then the chamber volume could be checked to see if it does or doesn't match any other FE head.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »

Are there core/Welsh plugs in the ends of the heads?

Scott.

That is, core plugs of approximately 1-1/4" diameter, on the exposed external end surfaces visible on cylinder head, even as mounted on the block w/ intake, exhaust & valve covers installed, as these items are affixed on the surface planes not in question?

Scott.