News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Art on a Cobra

Started by deathsled, February 24, 2019, 01:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Enamel paint. What? No water based? Lol!
https://youtu.be/j3a4tFGY-mY
I figure this must be an original from the day.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

honker

deathsled, thanks for posting, not seen that video before, only some stills from the same event.  as we used to say "far out man"  Here is some stuff I have in my files on the car, the write up I found maybe here, or on another forum, long ago.  It's COB6107, page 652 in the 4th edition of the registry.

Mike

deathsled

Thanks for the photos. I'd take that car no matter what anyone painted over the body...

98SVT - was 06GT

It was a thing in the time period. Later BMW did a whole series they called the art cars.
The Janis Joplin car sold for 1.7 mil. It was a genuine 356SC though.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

1967 eight barrel

The 60's. Thank God they're long gone.

jguyer

It starts with just a small Snoopy tattoo on your arse....

"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Bill

Quote from: HistoryBuff on November 07, 2021, 11:26:43 PM
I made a painting of it that's in a bookstore in Riverside which I could print here if anybody's interested,The actual car was repainted purple and sold in England.

Mr Wallace,

If you want to place an advertisement to sell your items, the only place this is allowed on this forum is our classified subforums. In your case, it would go under the misc for sale subforum at the following url:

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?board=48.0

All for sale posts must include an asking price per the rules of this forum.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

FL SAAC

Interesting story thanks for sharing

That is a real Cobra though sold in the  UK, never saw the Shelby American factory.COB6107 was one of 25 Cobra Mk3s built with the 289 engine for the British and European market. As Ford owned the Cobra trademark, these cars were marketed as AC 289 Sports.

In addition to the 25 completed cars, another two were sold in partially assembled form.At first glance it looks like a big block but that's the way they were sold in UK big block shape but small block engine,

COB6107 was dispatched to Len Street Engineering of Drayton Gardens in Chelsea on November 11th 1965. It was originally painted Svecia Red with black trim and registered GYK 768C.

The owner who commissioned the special art car paint job was a young wanker , Tara Browne, with a title (right Honourable such-and-such) , an heir to  the Guinness beer fortune, and a bosom buddy of the Beatles. He had arranged for the car to be shown in an art gallery and was on the way to see its unveiling in a  Lotus, ran a light and crashed and died. The Beatles were shook up and Lennion wrote the song A Day in the Life in tribute to him without saying the lad's name. I made a painting of it that's in a bookstore in Riverside which I could print here if anybody's interested,The actual car was repainted purple and sold in England.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

propayne

Video won't play for me so don't know if this Cobra was painted by these guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_(design_collective)

They did some cars also - Lennon's Rolls I believe (too lazy to double check my sources).

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

67 GT350

....and now we have the world today.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

That is a real Cobra though sold in the  UK, ....... As Ford owned the Cobra trademark, these cars were marketed as AC 289 Sports.
At this time Shelby still owned "Cobra" and all his other trademarks. Ford didn't get them until mid 1967 for an unpaid 1962 loan. In 67 SA was broken into 2 companies Parts and Automotive. Parts stayed in SoCal with CS and Automotive was taken under Ford's wing (with a 3 year deal) and moved to Dearborn to produce the 68-70 cars. A 3rd company was started, Shelby Racing with a 3 year contract - they finished their LeMans deal in June 67 and the TransAm was out in 1970 when all the factories pulled out of the series (except AMC).

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 08, 2021, 02:08:11 PM
That is a real Cobra though sold in the  UK, ....... As Ford owned the Cobra trademark, these cars were marketed as AC 289 Sports.
At this time Shelby still owned "Cobra" and all his other trademarks. Ford didn't get them until mid 1967 for an unpaid 1962 loan. In 67 SA was broken into 2 companies Parts and Automotive. Parts stayed in SoCal with CS and Automotive was taken under Ford's wing (with a 3 year deal) and moved to Dearborn to produce the 68-70 cars. A 3rd company was started, Shelby Racing with a 3 year contract - they finished their LeMans deal in June 67 and the TransAm was out in 1970 when all the factories pulled out of the series (except AMC).
You mean Shelby didn't risk it all at a hanger while taking The Deuce on a test run in a GT40?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on November 08, 2021, 02:11:23 PMYou mean Shelby didn't risk it all at a hanger while taking The Deuce on a test run in a GT40?
In one of the car magazines at the time there was a funny article with a drawing of the 2 giants (Shelby tall - HenryII wide) stuffed into the Ford GT. Maybe someone remembers/has the article and can scan/post it.

deathsled

That would be fun to see.