News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 Shelby trunk mat

Started by Corey Bowcutt, February 25, 2019, 08:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I purchased from NPD a "correct" speckled burtex trunk mat for my 1968 GT350.  I tried installing it and there are fit issues.  Where the mat meets the taillight panel it appears too long.  Do folks trim this or just let it roll up as shown in the picture.  There is also a tricky corner that bunches a bit in the upper left corner when looking into the trunk where the mat makes the transition from the lower fuel tank floor to the upper trunk sheet metal.  Do folks do some trimming here or just let it bunch?

Thank you, Corey

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on February 25, 2019, 08:25:05 AM
I purchased from NPD a "correct" speckled burtex trunk mat for my 1968 GT350.  I tried installing it and there are fit issues.  Where the mat meets the taillight panel it appears too long.  Do folks trim this or just let it roll up as shown in the picture.  There is also a tricky corner that bunches a bit in the upper left corner when looking into the trunk where the mat makes the transition from the lower fuel tank floor to the upper trunk sheet metal.  Do folks do some trimming here or just let it bunch?

Thank you, Corey
Just like with a restored car where the workmanship is typically better then the factory the things you described could vary from mat to mat to some degree. There are better fitting mats and worse fitting mats.The factory did not however do any extra trimming . With that said if you can change the look without leaving evidence that trimming was done then it shouldn't be a problem. In concours judging for instance you have to consider the range and only deduct for something that is way outside the normal.I hope this was helpful.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

That's not the correct mat.  Is that one black on the backside?

Corey Bowcutt

Yes it is. Would love to know why? It was sure advertised as being correct in the NPD catalog.

1967 eight barrel

ACC makes the correct one that actually is OE material and contours. I posted a picture of my trunk finished. It's made of burtex, like the originals.  It's been in the last few days.
                                                                                       -Keith

Corey Bowcutt

Hmmm, I guess I really have no idea what burtex is but this was advertised as burtex as well. So much I do not know.

1967 eight barrel

If it is black on the bottom, it's not correct.

Corey Bowcutt

What color should the bottom be?

1967 eight barrel

I borrowed this from another post. This is what the Burtex looks like on the back.

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 25, 2019, 09:58:54 PM
That's not the correct mat.  Is that one black on the backside?
Keith, some early 68's used the plaid mat like 67 but most later Metuchen cars used a speckled mat like the OP posted. The speckled mat is not Burtex originally. It is a multi colored fiber on the back side . At least the originals are. I am not sure about the good repros.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

I have a plaid mat. I didn't remember when they went to the speckled pattern. However, they are still molded mats.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 26, 2019, 02:35:56 AM
I have a plaid mat. I didn't remember when they went to the speckled pattern. However, they are still molded mats.

There is also that dark felt looking version also.   68 was an interesting year. Know we posted pictures of each, just can't recall if its been reposted since the forum dump
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

I have not seen the plaid 1968 NJ mats. But, if Mr Gaines says he has, I believe him.

Burtex tends to look like a very thick felt on the backside. The colors vary. The reproduction mats are more of a pressed straw, light brown, look to me. The originals were molded. One of the problems with cutting the mats is every car is a little different. I have a few originals (of each bodystyle) that I use for reference.

I am not sure what the reproduction mats use for a pattern.

Corey Bowcutt

I spoke with NPD and they in fact sent me the wrong mat.  They sent me a vinyl one where I ordered a Burtex one.  I had no idea what Burtex was so when it arrived I did not know it was incorrect.  So I am returning it and going to buy directly from ACC because they have one listed specifically for 1968 GT350 so I feel better about that.  The Burtex ones sold by NPD actually do come from ACC but NPD does not list the one specifically for the 1968 GT350 like the ACC web site does.

I do love this forum for all the help it gives me!!!!!!!!!

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Corey will be soon entering his car in concours  ;D
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎