News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Heater fan operation

Started by Corey Bowcutt, February 10, 2019, 05:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

The heater fan is the last electrical thing in my car I need to fix.  It has not worked since I purchased the car.  I tested the motor by applying 12 volts directly to it and the fan motor worked just fine.  So I am assuming the switch is bad.  My question is, is there anything else in the chain that could be faulty other than the fan switch?

Thank you, Corey

Dizzy

There is a resistor pack that gets used for different fan speeds. Best to get a wiring diagram and study it.

Chris Thauberger

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

1967 eight barrel

It's likely the resistor. They take five minutes to change and run about 12.00. The wire coils from heating and cooling cycles get brittle and break off.
Here is the link to the part. If you don't know how to get the push pins off to change it, shoot me a PM. I'll walk you through.
                                                                                                         -Keith
https://www.npdlink.com/product/resistor-heater-switch-exact-original-style-replacement-to/103117?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dblower%252Bmotor%252Bresistor%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1967&year=1967

CharlesTurner

I'm not sure about 67-68, but the 65-66 style heater switch that has the 2 wire motor and resistor on the front of the box requires a good ground of the bezel to the dash.  Might check that to rule out since the motor works when wiring direct.  Should be able to test current at the resistor and switch with a test light.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Corey Bowcutt

Over the weekend I disconnected the cables from this heater resistor and found one of the pins was broken completely off so this is most likely my problem.  I have ordered a new resistor assembly but need to know how to remove those two white plastic "rivets".  Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Corey

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Next stop,  concours at Pebble Beach  8)
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Coralsnake

You need to push the white center pin out. It requires having the front cover off the box.

You could probably drill them out , but you need to be very careful not to pierce the core

TLea

Two things you can try. One is if you take a small screwdriver under the head generally you can work them loose. The other thing is as Pete said just to do you could always drill the pins out and replace them. I think West Coast cougars carries replacement

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Tim and Pete.  Is the cover easy to remove?  I will try the screw driver wiggle thing but if the cover is easy to remove without tearing apart a bunch of other stuff I will do that.

TLea

It's easy to remove if it's out of the car. If the heater box is installed in the car I would think it would be incredibly difficult

KR Convertible

I would think the easiest way is to grind off the heads of the plastic rivets and replace them.  Otherwise, cut the old resistor center out to access the back of the rivets with a "L" shaped pick.

Corey Bowcutt