Author Topic: '65 GT350 on BaT  (Read 10252 times)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: '65 GT350 on BaT
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 11:13:38 AM »
Seller posted info in the auction comments...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 11:21:29 AM »
I think that is why it is only at $5000 currently with 6 days to go......bottom line, it is no Shelby. It certainly caught my eye this morning. My prediction, under $40,000 at the gavel.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 12:08:50 PM »

My other thought is how does this car not have a salvage or rebuilt title ?

no salvage titles back then . hell prob 80% of muscle cars  would have them.  ;)
No titles (salvage or otherwise)  in NY until 1973.  Prior to 1973, they had transferrable registrations.  The registration was the ownership document. 
If the insurance company paid him off, he wouldn't own what was left anyway. 
My bet is he he waited until 2003 because it is highly unlikely NY had any remaining record that it was destroyed. 
If he had an old, expired registration, he could just take it into the DMV and renew it. 
Even if he did turn in the original registration when he was paid by the insurance company, he could apply for a lost registration by taking a rubbing of a piece of sheetmetal that he stamped.  I have yet to hear of anyone having to have a NYS Trooper look at their car to verify.
I am not sure why he would risk getting a California title if they actually inspect the cars.

6S1114

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
It would be cool if the original owner added the tag to the car for nostalgic reasons (although I can't imagine he was that attached to the car after only 8 weeks of ownership).  The fact that the car is now legally titled with the original Shelby tag leaves a lot open to speculation.

Seems to have been an unnecessary black cloud formed over this car.  It looks like a great track car that stands on it's own merits without the tag.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
Take the tag off an sell it as a race car  ;) .. Hmmmm maybe not as easy as that with a Cali title.. ahhh just go to the RMV an tell em ya made a mistake  8)

Isn't the 65 Shelby's Titled to the Shelby Tag under the Hood?  If so, wouldn't THAT car be Titled the same way? 

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
Take the tag off an sell it as a race car  ;) .. Hmmmm maybe not as easy as that with a Cali title.. ahhh just go to the RMV an tell em ya made a mistake  8)

Isn't the 65 Shelby's Titled to the Shelby Tag under the Hood?  If so, wouldn't THAT car be Titled the same way?

The original car was destroyed/totaled 8 weeks after it was sold new. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »

The original car was destroyed/totaled 8 weeks after it was sold new.

Yes, I know but that still doesn't answer my Question.  Just because it was Totaled does not mean an Insurance Paid it off and put it in the system as being Totaled.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »
If the original car still existed, then it would be a problem with both cars having the same tag... (is that what you're inferring?)

One of the comments on the BaT site mentioned that NY did not do salvage titles before 1973 and that maybe the original owner just 'waited out' the system for 35 or so years to reclaim ownership of the title.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »
understand what everyone is saying...but here is the conundrum
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:06:34 PM by FL SAAC TONY »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 03:47:20 PM »
^^
Ya
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 04:28:03 PM »
Guys, why all the false outrage?
This is ‘ops normal’ in the R model community and everyone turns a blind eye because, uh, ‘it’s a race car’. Well, uh, so is this one. LEGIT

When I bought my car (a one owner 65) and also a Carryover, both for well south of $500 each I took serious look a buying an R model. They were so hacked out they qualified for junk status. Granted this was back before ‘country was cool’ but who is kidding who? All this nonsense about ‘original sheet metal’...

A case in point, the attached R model ended up basically as a 50/50 transgender 1967 Mustang w it’s entire drivetrain long gone (Sepp Reiter’s car). Heck it even has a 67 grille in this interim pic. Was it Conley who initially brought it back?? Not sure. It has since been ‘totally restored’ as a 1965 R model and changed hands at the highest levels of value. Nary a question..... cause it’s a ‘race car’ and they, um, ‘changed engines all the time back then’.
Same w many many others. No different than this car for sale now.

Steve
SFM5S339
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:30:26 PM by camp upshur »

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 04:43:44 PM »
If the original car still existed, then it would be a problem with both cars having the same tag... (is that what you're inferring?)

One of the comments on the BaT site mentioned that NY did not do salvage titles before 1973 and that maybe the original owner just 'waited out' the system for 35 or so years to reclaim ownership of the title.
No, he took the Tag off the Wrecked Shelby and used it on a Mustang (the new car), Which Title is he using since the DMV uses the Shelby Tag for the VIN#.  Is the Shelby Title being used or is the Mustang Title being used, easy question to understand.  If it is the Shelby Title being used for the new Body then what happened to the Mustang Title?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:47:00 PM by tesgt350 »

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 05:14:16 PM »
No, he took the Tag off the Wrecked Shelby and used it on a Mustang (the new car), Which Title is he using since the DMV uses the Shelby Tag for the VIN#.  Is the Shelby Title being used or is the Mustang Title being used, easy question to understand.  If it is the Shelby Title being used for the new Body then what happened to the Mustang Title?

The tag on the car now is a repro, clear as day.  I don't see anywhere that indicates the original tag was saved from the original 5S067.

The owner stated that when he bought the car, he got a CA title in his name, which is in the auction images.  That title has the Shelby number.  I see no mention anywhere of the Mustang VIN.  For all we know, there aren't any VIN stampings in the aprons at all.  There's only a couple clues that the body used was probably manufactured around December 64/January 65.  Can't even say for sure if it's a Dearborn or San Jose unibody.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 05:14:59 PM »

I respectfully disagree. No the tag off the Wreaked Shelby was NOT used on the Mustang (new car).  I lost count how many times Charles mentioned that it is a repro tag. I agree the tag in the picture appears to be a reproduction when you compare it to other genuine tags. It is doubtful that any part of the original car tag or otherwise is present on the re creation. I wonder if the aprons are blank or if a Ford vin is present and what car it is from . I wonder if the title to the donor car is included if other Ford VIN's not associated with the Shelby tag are present . Just some legality issues a potential buyer would want to consider if acting prudently. It is good to know all of the possible risks that these kinds of questions bring up before plunking down the money. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
This 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 carries Shelby serial number 5S067...  This GT350 reportedly retains the original 5S067 Shelby chassis plate and is being offered in New York with some spares and a clean California title in the seller’s name.

Bottom Line - seems like a lot of fiction based on everything discussed above  ??? ::) :o
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird