Author Topic: '65 GT350 on BaT  (Read 10251 times)

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: '65 GT350 on BaT
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 08:41:57 PM »
    There are federal laws governing, and the legal wording may vary from state to state compounding the responsibility of, but basically as I understand it, only a registered manufacturer may assign a V.I.N. to a vehicle intended for the registration for use on public road systems; and it is looked upon with negative connotation if a person should invoke the terms: knowingly, "to taper with", "altering", "obliterating", "removes", or perhaps in this case "affixes" of such V.I.N. identification, which I feel would include from one vehicle to another, or even creating ones' own (repop plate), perhaps except, with provisions by the individual state, permitting a "Homebuilt", and this is generally identified as such on the title.      ;) 

Now, for "Off-Road Use Only", have at it, as it is at that point defined only as a piece of "Equipment", not a "Motor Vehicle".  But, about that title?     :o

And, just because someone gets by the local D.M.V. and has a title in hand which may state such, does not make such truly fact; example: how many Cobra kit/reproduction/replica/continuation or whatever are there titled and registered as 1965's even displaying "Antique" tags, and are obviously far from it!     ::)     

Scott.

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 09:00:09 PM »
I think that is why it is only at $5000 currently with 6 days to go......bottom line, it is no Shelby. It certainly caught my eye this morning. My prediction, under $40,000 at the gavel.
I might buy this for sub $40k.  I've been looking for a dedicated vintage track car for a long while now.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 10:53:45 PM »
Bottom Line - seems like a lot of fiction based on everything discussed above  ??? ::) :o

Yep, for sure!

An original below...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 07:46:40 AM »
If the original car still existed, then it would be a problem with both cars having the same tag... (is that what you're inferring?)

One of the comments on the BaT site mentioned that NY did not do salvage titles before 1973 and that maybe the original owner just 'waited out' the system for 35 or so years to reclaim ownership of the title.
No, he took the Tag off the Wrecked Shelby and used it on a Mustang (the new car), Which Title is he using since the DMV uses the Shelby Tag for the VIN#.  Is the Shelby Title being used or is the Mustang Title being used, easy question to understand.  If it is the Shelby Title being used for the new Body then what happened to the Mustang Title?
I respectfully disagree. No the tag off the Wreaked Shelby was NOT used on the Mustang (new car).  I lost count how many times Charles mentioned that it is a repro tag. I agree the tag in the picture appears to be a reproduction when you compare it to other genuine tags. It is doubtful that any part of the original car tag or otherwise is present on the re creation. I wonder if the aprons are blank or if a Ford vin is present and what car it is from . I wonder if the title to the donor car is included if other Ford VIN's not associated with the Shelby tag are present . Just some legality issues a potential buyer would want to consider if acting prudently. It is good to know all of the possible risks that these kinds of questions bring up before plunking down the money.

I understand it is a Repop Tag, I misspoke when I said he took it off the Shelby, He used the Shelby VIN# from the Shelby.  If there is a Mustang VIN# any where on that Car and there is no Mustang Title for that VIN# and all you get is the Title with the Shelby VIN#, can't the FBI come in and take the Car?

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
I understand it is a Repop Tag, I misspoke when I said he took it off the Shelby, He used the Shelby VIN# from the Shelby.  If there is a Mustang VIN# any where on that Car and there is no Mustang Title for that VIN# and all you get is the Title with the Shelby VIN#, can't the FBI come in and take the Car?

Guess it depends on what the rules are for race cars.  The auction car is clearly not street legal.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 09:27:22 AM »
Isn't this why SAAC still exists, to protesct history, heritage, and give credit to the honest and discredit the dishonest.

No matter what a fool and his money shall soon part.... :o

FYI: It's at $23,456 this morning....might go over 40K. No mention of horsepower but Cobra Automotive lowest is way more than any massaged K code.  It would be one fun car to run on the track.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 09:45:56 AM »
I had to laugh when I read the add... Comes with a 9k tach. Anyone who has ever seen or heard one of Kurt Vogt's race cars knows it will need every bit of that  9k tach  ;D  Good luck on a well sorted race car I'm sure.

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2019, 12:42:39 PM »
I just sold one of my race cars last month.
It sold it with a bill of sale and no title or registration. It had a VIN, but since it is not to be used or titled for street use and is currently illegal for that use (no lights, etc) it doesn't need to be titled or registered.
I'd venture to say that half of the race cars in my racing Conference aren't titled.

When I bought my Boss it did not have a title since the state (Alabama) it came from treated old, used cars like appliances. Alabama didn't care about "ownership" -- they only cared that it had a tag or registration so they could tax it for road use. A title did not exist. When I bought it my state required a notorized release of interest from the owner as they considered a title to be the "ownership" document.
And in this state they needed that ownership document to issue a title and registration.
The release of legal interest sufficed, in this case.

Personally, the owner should just hang on to the title and put it in a frame.
The car stands on its own as a race car and the whole Shelby tag deal just muddies the water.
Somebody should buy the car for its intended purpose, destroy the tag and create a wall hanging for the title.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2019, 09:25:39 AM »
$30,000 with 3 days to go....
SFM5R-madeulook

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2019, 01:22:34 PM »
$30,000 with 3 days to go....

Surely the reserve is way more than that.  Seems it would take at least 6 figure to duplicate this build.  There should be zero value placed on the plate/title.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »
The action happens in the last few minutes.

I think it has to be a $70,000 car. $65K if he is desperate.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
with this california title  this could be a great opportunity for someone to make a substantial return on investment

understand that saac will not recognize its validity, but to a very wealthy person in the usa, europe or asia that will keep it locked up, use it sparingly and show to their friends as a trophy

friends or people who dont understand what a shelby is or are removed or unaware of saac, it truly wont matter

to make it perfectly clear we are not bidding or have an interest in this vehicle

the phrase today is R.O.I.

understand what everyone is saying...but here is the conundrum
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2019, 06:20:56 PM »
$32,500 - 23 hours to go
SFM5R-madeulook

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »

The seller hasn't done himself any favors in marketing this Mustang. No details or pictures of the underside, brakes or suspension. No details or specifics on the engine/transmission and explanation of Cobra Automotives involvement in the car. No video's of the car on track or even idling. I'd be surprised if it brings more than 58k.

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
less than 2 hrs to go. No price increase yet from the $32.5
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R