News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine Installation Education

Started by SFM6S087, February 26, 2019, 05:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM6S087

I'm trying to learn something about the assembly process at San Jose in 1965-66. In particular related to the installation of the engines.

How did they know which engine to put into which car?

Did each car have paperwork that traveled with it down the assembly line to specify what engine to install? If so, how was that engine specified on that document? Via a code like 554J? Or something else?

I know each engine had a metal tag and a sticker – each with the engine code. Did the workers match the code on the paperwork for each car with the code on an engine sticker? Or maybe the workers were trained on how to identify particular engines on sight without having to refer to codes?

Here's your chance to perform a public service*. Teach me something.
[*Accredited for public service hours for deferred sentencing purposes in TX, LA, & AR.]  :)

Thanks,
Steve Sloan

98SVT - was 06GT

I doubt the line people cared. They just stuck parts together that were put in front of them. I'm sure they would catch obvious stuff but it was up to the parts guys that fed the line to put the right items into the system. I was at the GM plant one time and a 6 cylinder came out of the rafters for a Rivera. The engine and car got pulled off the line and set aside. The guy giving the tour said the night crew had to sort all those cars out during the last part of their shift.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless