Author Topic: Custom Radial Tires  (Read 4501 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Custom Radial Tires
« on: February 27, 2019, 08:32:37 AM »
A friend of mine recently turned me onto this company:

https://dbtires.com    They are based out of South Carolina.

Unlike Coker Tires, they take radial tires, shave the writing off and customize them.  Large whitewalls, redlines,, etc.  They also do custom designs.  This Might be an opportunity to finally get tires that resemble Goodyear speedways, Or other models that came factory on Shelby’s, but are actually radial tires.

Does anyone have any experience working with them in the past?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

kkravik

• View Profile
Re: Custom Radial Tires
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:39:01 AM »
Brian,

I've bought a number of tire sets from Diamond Back Classics for a few of my 1955-1957 Tbirds.  Always happy with the quality and service from them.  I have not bought any tires for my Shelby's from them, but do like what they have to offer. 

Kerry

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:40:34 PM »
Brian,

I've bought a number of tire sets from Diamond Back Classics for a few of my 1955-1957 Tbirds.  Always happy with the quality and service from them.  I have not bought any tires for my Shelby's from them, but do like what they have to offer. 

Kerry

Thanks Kerry, good to hear.  I’m going to try them first with a set of 15” dual redline radial tires for a Mustang I just picked up. I’d like to see how they do matching a set of Speedways.  I really hated the bias ply ride of the current Speedway reproductions offered. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
Brian,
Let us know if they do the Goodyear sidewall marking on performance rubber.

-Keith

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 06:58:39 PM »
Brian,
Let us know if they do the Goodyear sidewall marking on performance rubber.

-Keith

Shelrace can do this to your Avons;

Sorry, I forgot Shelrace went back to @CSX2259.

He chimes in on the top of page 3 on this thread;

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=744.msg5106#msg5106

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 12:56:59 AM »
I guess I should have been more specific. I was wondering if the Goodyear can be added to the sidewall of a lower profile tire.

-Keith

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 07:27:05 AM »
I very much like the solution but I want to wait and see if there are any at the Converntion that I can see in person and talk to the owners about for feedback before I decide.

I'm going to be looking for Avons on the track. I'm just so suspicious of the tread pattern being a competent one.

Simply put, for me, these tires are just to expensive to make a mistake on now.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 02:39:48 PM »
I spoke with James at Diamond Back Tires (x101).  He informed me that they do not make tires with raised white lettering.  They do offer a 'Black Wall Smoothey', which is basically what all the tires go through before a large white wall, red line or other design is applied.  He told me it's -$50 the price of the tire posted on their website.  You can then take a company like 'Tire Tattoo' and have them make you up a 'Good Year' logo as in the case of a Speedway lookalike.  Might be an inexpensive option to get a bias ply look alike tire that is really a radial.

I also asked about getting a 15 inch radial dual redline tire, which no one currently offers.  He said they will take a single redline tire like:

https://dbtires.com/product/diamond-back-ss/

And for $10 more a tire, add the second red stripe.  It's an interesting option.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »
We can perform our tire transformation on any tire, some can be more involved than others but the end result is the same. If I can help you with any question please feel free to give us a call, RACEWHERE 1-760-428-2177

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
We can perform our tire transformation on any tire, some can be more involved than others but the end result is the same. If I can help you with any question please feel free to give us a call, RACEWHERE 1-760-428-2177

I need them for three cars. I'm getting a newspaper route and will save up. Probably need to do one tire at a time?  :-[
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »
What about a raised Blue Dot?

M.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
shelbydoug,

Sounds like you are in a dilemma, are all three cars on ciderblocks in the front yard? We could always work out a deal, one car for doing two sets of tires? We will provide the tires at no charge to be fare.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:55:45 PM by CSX2259 »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 05:03:52 PM »
shelbydoug,

Sounds like you are in a dilemma, are all three cars on ciderblocks in the front yard? We could always work out a deal, one car for doing two sets of tires? We will provide the tires at no charge to be fare.

;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 07:41:07 AM »

I also asked about getting a 15 inch radial dual redline tire, which no one currently offers.  He said they will take a single redline tire like:

And for $10 more a tire, add the second red stripe.  It's an interesting option.

Not a Shelby, but here is my '66 with the DB dual redlines on 15" BFGs.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 09:40:22 AM »

Not a Shelby, but here is my '66 with the DB dual redlines on 15" BFGs.

What did they do with the raised white letters?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:49:41 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!