Author Topic: 67 Shelby headlight wiring harness?  (Read 3777 times)

T-Bone68

• View Profile
67 Shelby headlight wiring harness?
« on: February 27, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
building a 67 GT500 tribute and buying all new wiring harnesses.  For the front headlights, can anyone answer do you need the 67 with Tach, with foglamps... or the 67 with Tach, without fog lamps?  Or does it even matter?

Sorry, should be able to figure this out, but haven’t yet and about to order all wiring.  Any help appreciated.

roddster

• View Profile
Re: 67 Shelby headlight wiring harness?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:52:00 AM »
  I don't know but don't forget the white scotch splices.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »
No fog lamps on a 1967 Shelby.

If you need a quote on wiring, please send me a note

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:43:17 AM »
building a 67 GT500 tribute and buying all new wiring harnesses.  For the front headlights, can anyone answer do you need the 67 with Tach, with foglamps... or the 67 with Tach, without fog lamps?  Or does it even matter?

Sorry, should be able to figure this out, but haven’t yet and about to order all wiring.  Any help appreciated.

tach yes - fog lights no.

I don't know but don't forget the white scotch splices.

See "1967 Shelby GT350/GT500 Master Assembly Manual" page 19 for diagram of how to splice-in grille mounted high-beam lights with connectors mentioned above.  Pig-tails for doing this are available from a number of sources as posted in reply #2 - Pete is one.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »
Thank you all for your quick advice.  Trying to keep as close to original wiring as possible so years from now I can refer to Ford/Shelby docs to troubleshoot.

I have the Master Assembly Manual... I’ll check out pg19.  Thanks!

John

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 02:34:09 AM »
If you are running a FACTORY tach cluster all three related harnesses are different. The Alternator, under dash harness and Engine harness that comes from the firewall and runs to the solenoid and the under dash harness are tach only.  The wiring for the inboard or ourboard lamps were white Scotch Locked onto the headlight extension plugs.
                                                                                                  -Keith

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 04:29:45 PM »
If you are running a FACTORY tach cluster all three related harnesses are different. The Alternator, under dash harness and Engine harness that comes from the firewall and runs to the solenoid and the under dash harness are tach only. The wiring for the inboard or ourboard lamps were white Scotch Locked onto the headlight extension plugs.
                                                                                                  -Keith

I've only seen them attached to the main harness. If ONLY they had hooked to them to the extension harness or created an intermediate plug.

Fixing the main harness when things go wrong at the connectors is really painful.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »
Bill, the high beam extensions are on  outter headlamp extensions in my case.

-Keith

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 01:42:46 PM »
Thank you all again for your help.  Just double checking one additional detail... What color should the head light plugs be, red or brown?

I'm coming to the conclusion I should replace the headlight harness on my 67 GT350 #2246.  Found at least one cut wire and many suspect cut and re-taped connections.  My car has the red plugs as pictured, but I also know it went through a not 100% perfect restoration somewhere in the 80/90s so wouldn't be surprised if the wrong harness was used.  I noticed a pic of 67 GT350 wiring harness in Greg's book also shows red plugs.  Alloy Metal Products reproductions have brown plugs.  So, short version... just asking if the brown plug is correct before I put it in my car.

John

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »
Coralsnake did a great job on my headlight and center light wiring harnesses....highly recommend

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 03:15:24 PM »
That's because the plugs come in both colors.