Author Topic: VIN # stampings  (Read 9133 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: VIN # stampings
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 07:20:47 PM »

Think we're confusing the subjects by mixing GT350's and 500's together in the same thread and discussion.  - Just me

So staying with the OPs question

Respectfully disagree on your estimate. 1/3 is overstating the amount in the group that didn't have a VIN stamp on the block by hundreds IMO. .....................

+1

Given the earlier quote and statement shown below,

"....with SAAC it was confirmed that 30-40 cars built that same week didn't have the VIN's on their blocks either as reported by other owners."

Neither the 30-40 cars or a week of production would be a 20th of production even if only referring to GT350 production of a little over 1100 cars.

Bret must have just misspoke in the thread above

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 09:42:21 PM »
I think that any owner who wants to know if the motor is original in their car should contact the Registrar responsible for that year Shelby. We have factory information on each car that is not available from any other source.
Dave Mathews
Support the SAAC Registry

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 04:29:36 AM »
Jeff:  Actually on numerous occasions throughout the 67 production run groups of GT 350's did not have a VIN on their block.
It just wasn't a single week or a single group of vehicles.

There were perhaps 4-5-6- times that groups of 67s didn't have VINs according to my own experience as well as what has been shared by SAAC's registrar.

Bret

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 08:28:14 AM »
When I read Bret's post I took it as the car he questioned was surrounded by 20-30 others that didn't have the VIN stamp and it wasn't just 20-30 cars total, a few occasions
where batches didn't have the stamps....which he clarified in his follow up post.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »
  A little clarification here:  It vin stamped in will be the Ford Vin.  Not the Shelby American Vin.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 01:10:28 PM »
Jeff:  Actually on numerous occasions throughout the 67 production run groups of GT 350's did not have a VIN on their block.
It just wasn't a single week or a single group of vehicles.

There were perhaps 4-5-6- times that groups of 67s didn't have VINs according to my own experience as well as what has been shared by SAAC's registrar.

Bret

Thanks Bret

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 10:50:46 PM »
So let me know get this straight.... its the Ford VIN that is stamped on the passenger side of the block, and the lift pad on the bottom of the trans case ?

Full VIN on the block, and partial on the trans ?

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 11:11:45 PM »
So let me know get this straight.... its the Ford VIN that is stamped on the passenger side of the block, and the lift pad on the bottom of the trans case ?

Full VIN on the block,

67 GT350 Full

and partial on the trans ?

Full VIN - 67 GT350 & GT500 4 speed

Other years and models can differ - Just staying on thread ;)

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 01:22:12 AM »
Just got a question from a friend..do 67 GT 350 4 speed cars have the VIN stamped on both the engine & transmission ??

you do know these were hand stamped, right ?  Any idiot with a little practice can perfectly duplicate  the factory numbers stamped on the engine block and transmission.

I've known machine shops that had no problem stamping the block, etc at the request of an owner during the course of an overhaul. Completely undetectable when done right. 

The number stamped block is just an indication of originality, not a stand alone proof.  One should have other substantiating indications, like casting dates,  documentation, etc. before putting much stock in VIN stamped engines.

Z

Skidado

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 03:54:04 PM »
My trans has only the last four digits of the ford VIN not the whole number. David

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 05:22:19 PM »
My trans has only the last four digits of the ford VIN not the whole number. David

That's one of the reasons I asked as well..... mine only has 4 as well....?

Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Skidado

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »

...and no VIN on the block. I wonder if there is a correlation between these two things?

David

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »

...and no VIN on the block. I wonder if there is a correlation between these two things?

David
If big block no reason to think so . If smallblock maybe.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Skidado

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 02:34:26 PM »

David
If big block no reason to think so . If smallblock maybe.

Yes - smallblock #2751

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »

From my experience, the abbreviated VIN on the trans is something common on late cars...GT350 and 500. Ive not owned any early cars with abbreviated trans VINs but that doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Just this guy's 2 cents..

There are a bunch of variations which I have noticed on Trans vin stamps from the factory in 67 and, thus far, they have seemed pretty consistent given the serial number range of the car in question.

One of the issues with posting on a forum like this in detail about what myself (and I am sure more than a few others) have noticed to be patterns on 67 trans stamps would inevitably turn into a similar situation to when some guys want to speak publicly about small sheet-metal differences on cars which serve as excellent tells as to whether or not a specific car is legitimate. On the one hand, I want to be open and speak in a detailed manner about it...on the other hand, Id rather not make it easier for people to stamp their transmissions and do it well.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.