News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

SFM6S144 Up for Auction

Started by SFM6S087, March 01, 2019, 02:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM6S087

According to the attached ad from Sports Car Marketplace, 6S144 will be in the New England Auto Auction, August 16-17, 2019. (I got the VIN by emailing and asking.)

I'm guessing that eventually there may be more details and more pictures of this car on the auction web site –  "owlshead.org" and click on the Auction link at the top-right of the page. For now all they have pictures of are cars from previous auctions.

Steve Sloan

SFM6S087

Now listed on Hemmings with more details & pictures:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/03/27/two-owner-carry-over-1966-shelby-g-t-350-set-to-cross-the-block-in-maine-this-summer/?refer=news

Couple of errors in some of the generic Shelby history presented, but that's par for the course in ads like this. Scroll past that and you'll eventually get to the info about this particular car. The Barry Plastiglass rear spoiler certainly gives it an interesting look. If I bought the car I'd leave that on there.

Steve

Bigfoot

Because it's vintage,...the spoiler might be kept on there (iguess) but I don't find it attractive.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Quote from: Bigfoot on March 28, 2019, 10:52:00 AM
Because it's vintage,...the spoiler might be kept on there (iguess) but I don't find it attractive.

Love the spoilers on '67 thru '70 but not one tiny bit on a  '65-'66

silverton_ford

Toby_S

SFM6S087

Nice car. Wish I had the money and the garage space. And I'd keep the spoiler on there. It's part of the history of the car and would certainly set it apart in a lineup of 66's.

Steve

Chad

Anyone know why the engine is painted blue.  Did he rebuild the engine? 

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Chad on July 24, 2019, 01:43:33 PM

In one of the articles it is explained that the owner modified the engine and at that time painted it blue.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

A fair number of carry over engines got painted during "restorations" in the 80s-90's
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Toby_S

The original owner, John M. ordered the car at Mutual Ford in '65 and picked it up in April 1966.  He was a young, highly trained and skilled mechanic in Ford dealerships, just out of the service.  At the time of purchase, he could not afford the R code.  In 1968, he had saved enough money to order directly from Shelby through an authorized dealer the high performance Valley Heads, 11:1 pistons, Deves rings etc. Did it at the dealership where he worked after hours.  When done, he said "we didn't think anything, there were gallons for Ford blue, we just painted it."   All the parts used in 1968 on the engine, the actual receipts with part numbers are included in the documentation. I cross reference the part numbers on the receipts with the actual catalogs looked at in 1968.   Hope that helps answer the blue paint question.  The spoiler was the actual Barry Plastiglas option ordered through Shelby as well.  The wheels are the 1968 Boss Magnums, John M. thought girls liked the shiney wheel look. or so he told me.     

Grumpy

The original owner did that along with the rear decklid and end caps. I thought Bob got the original decklid with it. After Bob got it (2nd owner) he just drove it. He loved his Shelby's .

mgreene

Quote from: Toby_S on July 24, 2019, 03:43:06 PM

The original owner, John M. ordered the car at Mutual Ford in '65 and picked it up in April 1966.  He was a young, highly trained and skilled mechanic in Ford dealerships, just out of the service.  At the time of purchase, he could not afford the R code.  In 1968, he had saved enough money to order directly from Shelby through an authorized dealer the high performance Valley Heads, 11:1 pistons, Deves rings etc. Did it at the dealership where he worked after hours.  When done, he said "we didn't think anything, there were gallons for Ford blue, we just painted it."   All the parts used in 1968 on the engine, the actual receipts with part numbers are included in the documentation. I cross reference the part numbers on the receipts with the actual catalogs looked at in 1968.   Hope that helps answer the blue paint question.  The spoiler was the actual Barry Plastiglas option ordered through Shelby as well.  The wheels are the 1968 Boss Magnums, John M. thought girls liked the shiney wheel look. or so he told me.     

No Bosses in '68 ;)
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

CharlesTurner

The spoiler was the actual Barry Plastiglas option ordered through Shelby as well.  The wheels are the 1968 Boss Magnums, John M. thought girls liked the shiney wheel look. or so he told me.     

Toby, just out of curiosity, was the original trunk lid and end caps saved?  What about the original wheels?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tesgt350

Quote from: mgreene on July 25, 2019, 08:19:36 AM

No bosses in '68 ;)

PLUS, I thought the 69 BOSS Wheels were Painted Gray and not Chrome?