Author Topic: 1966 fenders  (Read 1409 times)

shelby 711

• View Profile
1966 fenders
« on: March 01, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »
When was the transition made from the 65 fender to the 66 fender with the raised triangle crush tabs?

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: 1966 fenders
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »
I also think there are transition for driver and passengers sides for the triangle crush tabs.  Driver side came earlier than the passenger.

Cory

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
The expectation was to have the change in place by Jan 1 to address new federal laws but the timing appears not to be exact. At the same time it may have been but since we don't know when cars were specifically built we have no way that I know of knowing.  Change was only to the drivers side inner fender lip

About 6 months ago I went through and documented what I had related to the change over and found fenders dated as Jan 18 didn't have the crumple zone modifications and the earliest date on fenders with the modification were dated Jan 14 suggesting that that four days was the transition period to full changeover of all the working machines and dies at the stamping plant

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelby 711

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 02:00:31 PM »
Yes, this helps a lot. Date codes on my car run from late November to the first week of December