Author Topic: Lucas fog lights  (Read 3972 times)

• View Profile
Lucas fog lights
« on: March 03, 2019, 02:39:30 PM »
Does anyone restore the fog lights? Or, is it best to get reproduction or good used units? 

I recently removed the original fog light set from my car.  No dents, rust holes, or broken glass in the fog lights.  Just medium corrosion inside and out and the wiring needs replacement.  The car is an early build GT-350 - December 1968.  I would hate to throw out parts that could be rebuilt.  Thanks.

Shelbypat

• View Profile
Re: Lucas fog lights
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:46:50 PM »
Do you have pics ?

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:40:40 PM »
Here are the only reproductions I am aware of.

I've never purchased these or inspected them in person, so I can't speak to their quality or authenticity.

Just from the photo I can see that the mounting knuckle is different and the lens is not correct.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/square_8_foglamp_lucas_licenced_reproduction_

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »
As far as I learned, Shelby's factory Lucas should have small black grommet instead of the common big gray.

Patrick
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:04:34 PM by Shelbypat »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 08:22:04 PM »
Does anyone restore the fog lights? Or, is it best to get reproduction or good used units? 

I recently removed the original fog light set from my car.  No dents, rust holes, or broken glass in the fog lights.  Just medium corrosion inside and out and the wiring needs replacement.  The car is an early build GT-350 - December 1968.  I would hate to throw out parts that could be rebuilt.  Thanks.
The correct lens and the correct wiring pigtail are hard to find when restoring. Different looking  replacements are all that is available. The small black grommet is what came on the cars vs the later larger gray grommet.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 09:16:30 PM »
Here are some pictures of the driver side fog light.  Passenger side looks the same.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
I would definitely  clean them up and try to get them to look decent. You didn't say if it is for a driver or what but you can probably get them to look ok. I would try to save the wiring  and reuse it.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 09:32:52 PM »
I would definitely  clean them up and try to get them to look decent. You didn't say if it is for a driver or what but you can probably get them to look ok. I would try to save the wiring  and reuse it.

TOB
+1. Reuse the old parts and rechrome the case if you want to restore. Orlando Mustang used to offer a restoration service years ago for the Lucas lights . I don't think they still do but it will not hurt to ask.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 09:07:57 AM »
Those look 100% correct for a XR7-G Cougar  ;D

Turn the lens around and they are 100% correct for a Shelby.

- Phillip

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »

You have the correct lens too. They are  mark as ENGLAND. Hard to find

Hockeylife

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
I’ve had these these very nice, near flawless, Lucas lights for years. Installed by dealer on a 68 coupe at delivery. I took off to bring back to stock. Willing to let go. What are they worth?

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 10:49:36 AM »
Bodies on both are correct for 1968.

One glass is "ENGLAND", which would be original as installed at Smith and looks like the other is "Foreign Glass" which would be later and not original (perhaps a broken lens was replaced at some point).

Not super up on prices, but those definitely have some value. If you market them, be sure to include 1968 XR7-G owners also. Would need some knuckles and unique bolts to mount, unless you have them also.

- Phillip

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 10:23:12 AM »
Reviving this thread with photos/questions about my Lucas fog lights.

Were on the car when bought in ‘79.   Now assuming not originals (2/28/69 build). Some differences vs. others in this thread are:

Mine have
1. ‘Made in Italy’  on lenses and bulbs
2. Exposed ball pivot
3. Single wire (rather than 2) exiting body
4. Apparently grounded internally

Welcome comments/suggestions ??? 

Thinking of retrofitting 2-wire repo pigtail harness.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:26:52 AM by aj »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 10:26:46 AM »
Not really anything there it is correct.

Lenses and retainers are incorrect shape, as is mounting bolt.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:28:30 AM by Coralsnake »

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 10:28:25 AM »
Thank you sir.  I’ll adjust game plan accordingly.