News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ammeter bouncing all over the place at idle.

Started by 1967 eight barrel, March 03, 2019, 08:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

The headlamps are also dimming and then get brighter. My guess is a diode issue. What say the peanut gallery?

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on March 03, 2019, 08:50:47 PM
The headlamps are also dimming and then get brighter. My guess is a diode issue. What say the peanut gallery?

-Keith
First place I would check too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

lawrence67

Is this an alternator or regulator diode, or both?

1967 eight barrel

It's a diode rectifier. It's as factory.
I am used to the fluction stepping on brakes and with turn signals on. However, it started radically bouncing from + to - at idle. It stays postive driving.

Bob Gaines

Most probably the alternator since it evens out while driving would be my guess however I typically take both alternator and regulator to my alternator rebuilder to let him test both.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Well, I removed the internals from a NAPA Remanufactured alternator and swapped them into my housing. I also purchased the NAPA regulator and went to swap the concours case cover onto the NAPA unit. They are solid state and sealed in resin. I did a bit of work Dremel drum sanding bit. It all fits well. No more bounce or flickering headlamps.
                                                                      -Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 09, 2019, 10:16:31 PM
Well, I removed the internals from a NAPA Remanufactured alternator and swapped them into my housing. I also purchased the NAPA regulator and went to swap the concours case cover onto the NAPA unit. They are solid state and sealed in resin. I did a bit of work Dremel drum sanding bit. It all fits well. No more bounce or flickering headlamps.
                                                                      -Keith
FYI the base is different on a early regulator too.