News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ammeter bouncing all over the place at idle.

Started by 1967 eight barrel, March 03, 2019, 08:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

The headlamps are also dimming and then get brighter. My guess is a diode issue. What say the peanut gallery?

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on March 03, 2019, 08:50:47 PM
The headlamps are also dimming and then get brighter. My guess is a diode issue. What say the peanut gallery?

-Keith
First place I would check too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

lawrence67

Is this an alternator or regulator diode, or both?

1967 eight barrel

It's a diode rectifier. It's as factory.
I am used to the fluction stepping on brakes and with turn signals on. However, it started radically bouncing from + to - at idle. It stays postive driving.

Bob Gaines

Most probably the alternator since it evens out while driving would be my guess however I typically take both alternator and regulator to my alternator rebuilder to let him test both.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Well, I removed the internals from a NAPA Remanufactured alternator and swapped them into my housing. I also purchased the NAPA regulator and went to swap the concours case cover onto the NAPA unit. They are solid state and sealed in resin. I did a bit of work Dremel drum sanding bit. It all fits well. No more bounce or flickering headlamps.
                                                                      -Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 09, 2019, 10:16:31 PM
Well, I removed the internals from a NAPA Remanufactured alternator and swapped them into my housing. I also purchased the NAPA regulator and went to swap the concours case cover onto the NAPA unit. They are solid state and sealed in resin. I did a bit of work Dremel drum sanding bit. It all fits well. No more bounce or flickering headlamps.
                                                                      -Keith
FYI the base is different on a early regulator too.