Author Topic: Eyebrow molding comparison  (Read 1500 times)

• View Profile
Eyebrow molding comparison
« on: April 06, 2019, 11:02:35 PM »
Was there a running change to the fender molding (eyebrow) during the production run of the 1969's? 

The first picture is of the original moldings off my car, built 12/18/68.  Notice how the metal folds at the edge, all around the part, top and bottom.  The mounting tabs were held in with two sided tape, not welded. 

The second picture is a 'service' part I purchased to replace one of the original molding that is damaged.  Notice the metal does not fold up at the bottom edge of the part as with the original.  Also, the metal at the bottom edge does not fully cover the mounting tab and leaves a gap at the bottom edge when attached to the fender.

Is the part I bought truly a 'service' part?  Also, was there a change to the part during production?   

I am sending my originals to Paul's Chrome to see if they can be repaired.  Just wanted to know if I wasted my money on the part I bought.

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
Re: Eyebrow molding comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 11:43:09 PM »
I believe the originals had 2 or 3 spot welds that were visible on the chrome underside that fasten the mounting tabs.  Pretty sure the originals, and recent reproductions sold by branda are from azsco corp.  The current reproductions are very good in my opinion, and also have the spot welds like the originals.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:49:14 PM by 69 GT350 Vert »

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
Re: Eyebrow molding comparison
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »
I bought the reproductions from branda they are imo a better fit and finish then the originals. I had my originals rechromed and it was a waste of money.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years