Author Topic: Looking for a car cover  (Read 4526 times)

Thanx2cs

• View Profile
Looking for a car cover
« on: March 06, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
After 37 years it's time for a new car cover for my 68 convertible.  Thought I would ask those who should know or have had recent experience.
Thanks for your help!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a car cover
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
I am using the Form Fit cover from Covercraft.  The cover is expensive, but does a great job keeping my cars clean.  When it gets a little dusty I just tumble it in the dryer for a while and it is good to go.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »

+1 on the FormFit from CoverCraft/

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »
California Car Cover. Plushweave. I have 5.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:07:29 PM »
California Car Cover. Plushweave. I have 5.
.   Ditto,but only for indoor use...

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 10:03:49 PM »
California car cover. I don’t want to think about how much money I’ve spent over
The years with them but I’ve been happy every time. I have 2 currently sitting on my 911 right now (outside car) and I believe dust tops on the Shelby and it’s partner.

vtgt500

• View Profile
Dustop
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 06:58:00 AM »
I researched this to death for my application, (carpeted, heated, showroom.)  Decided upon the Dustop product from Calif Car Cover.  The unique weave prevents fine dust from filtering thru the cover during long term storage.  Yet does not trap moisture causing mildew.  Additionally, its increased thickness offers cushioning against potential paint chips and dings if an idiot works around the car.  The lining is very soft to avoid trapped grit from scratching the flawless paint finish.  Overall fit is great.  Believe most of these covers are made by Cover Craft and private labeled.  The Dustop fabric is a manufactured by Kimberly-Clark.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
The outdoor covers by Cal Car Covers were really poorly made in my experience.
They didn’t do cut outs or sleeves for the car despite asking for that data.
Plus they went brittle and cracked under typical winter temps.....yes the Beetle might have sat out a few days....

Never bought an indoor cover from them.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
A velvet glove for your baby, California car covers are the finest made and have been using them for years. They fit tight and right-

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »
I always use one of the soft flannel inside car covers from ether Shelby Parts or Branda. I lay a piece of clear plastic that I buy in rolls and cut on top of the car cover to keep dust from migrating through and also as a insurance policy from roof leaks or a car leaks in the case of parking under a lift. A little dust on/in your car cover can act like a fine grit sand paper.  I hate the hassle to try and wash a large car cover at  home let alone in a laundry mat.  The plastic sheet loosely laid on top of the cover allows for air circulation so that is not a issue. The extra step I take is just extra insurance. It is what I have always done.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 08:28:51 PM »
+1 on Bob's post.

I really like the soft flannel car covers that Jim Cowles sells at Shelby Parts.  I have been using one on my '67 for almost 6 years now. 

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 08:59:44 PM »
I always use one of the soft flannel inside car covers from ether Shelby Parts or Branda. I lay a piece of clear plastic that I buy in rolls and cut on top of the car cover to keep dust from migrating through and also as a insurance policy from roof leaks or a car leaks in the case of parking under a lift. A little dust on/in your car cover can act like a fine grit sand paper.  I hate the hassle to try and wash a large car cover at  home let alone in a laundry mat.  The plastic sheet loosely laid on top of the cover allows for air circulation so that is not a issue. The extra step I take is just extra insurance. It is what I have always done.

Bob Gaines's post reminded me that I use these disposable plastic covers when i haul cars (enclosed trailer) to shows, races, etc. I also use them as added protection from unexpected rain or overhead drips and dust remediation while in the garage. Do not put these over a just driven car, allow the heat to dissipate to minimize trapping moisture underneath.

https://www.carcoverusa.com/plastic-car-covers.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYHcurXx4AIVRR6tBh0tmQY8EAAYASAAEgL9MvD_BwE

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »
^^
We should do a bulk buy on those and have someone coordinate and bring to a convention one of these years.  I’d be happy to be the contact for that if we do a convention at WGI.....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 09:40:39 AM »
I put my cars in a car jacket to eliminate dust and spiders. They are basically zip lock bags. So CA car cover on the inside, and Car Jacket on outside. Been using car jackets for 25 years. Great product and only takes an extra couple of minutes to put the car in or take it out.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
^^
We should do a bulk buy on those and have someone coordinate and bring to a convention one of these years.  I’d be happy to be the contact for that if we do a convention at WGI.....

Put together a bulk order for Jim Cowles’/Shelby Parts covers?