News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65 289 block?

Started by wcode70, March 06, 2019, 05:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcode70

A local guy has a "289 hypo block" for sale, so the ad says, that he claims came out of a 65 GT350.  I don't know anything about early Shelbys but wondered if there is any way to identify a genuine Shelby block.  Blocks weren't vin stamped till 68? were they?  Any other markings that could authenticate?
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Mustang Sportsroof - W code
1970 Ranchero GT - 429

Coralsnake

GT350Lad

It should have a Vin stamped on it under spark plug #1. don't share it on here but if you see that contact Howard Pardee the 65/66 registrar
Someone might be looking for that block if it is legit
6S373
6S1276

wcode70

Thanks to all for the feedback and messages.  I called the guy this morning and have set a meeting for Monday to go take a look.  It's about 40 miles from me.  Based on what the guy said it is allegedly the original block from a car I had all but forgotten about.  According to the blocks current owner, the 350's original block had a crack and was replaced with a date correct block.  The man said the block has been repaired and he bought it in a garage clean out type scenario.  I have no use for it and only hope to see it reunited with the car.

The back story...  About 15 years ago, a Chevy guy I have known for decades, asked me one day if I knew, so and so?  I will leave names out for now.  I didn't, but he said since you are both Ford guys you need to know him.  So a few weeks latter I paid the guy a visit telling him our mutual friend, Waymon, said we should meet.  There was this beautiful GT350 in his shop but I understood him to say it belonged to a customer but the guy that currently owns the block says the 350 in fact belonged to him.  Maybe he was just being cautious not wanting to admit it was his.

Anyway.. We talked for 30 minutes or so and the guy with the Shelby told me he specialized in undercarriage restorations and was expecting a BOSS 429 to come in for work the next week so being a former B9 owner that really got my attention.  I am in a rural area of Southern Illinois and was surprised that all this was taking place right under my nose as I only lived about 5 miles away.  Unfortunately, the guy was apparently a heavy drinker as every time I would pass a local tavern his red Bronco was sitting there and I never got to see the BOSS 9 since he was never home.  He ended up dying maybe 4-5 years ago so I would have to assume the 350 was sold.  So... maybe the current owner of the 350 will recognize my clues.  Boondocks of Southern Illinois...red Bronco...  I love a good adventure so will report back on Monday after I see what he has.
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Ranchero GT - 429

6s1640

Hi Wcode70

If you find a VIN it will need to be 5R09KXXXXXX.  If it is anything different no need to bother Howard.

Best of luck

Cory

GT350Lad

Quote from: 6s1640 on March 07, 2019, 03:13:23 PM
Hi Wcode70

If you find a VIN it will need to be 5R09KXXXXXX.  If it is anything different no need to bother Howard.

Best of luck

Cory

Yeah I forgot to mention that, cheers Cory
6S373
6S1276

wcode70

He said it is vin stamped so we will see on Monday. Thanks
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Ranchero GT - 429

wcode70

False alarm...  Went to look at the block for myself yesterday and no hand stamped vin to be found.  Block had been sandblasted and was clean as a hounds tooth so it wasn't hid under any gunk.

Casting numbers were C5AE 6015E  with a 6C14 date code.  Maybe a service block?

Only hand stamped numbers were on the machined surface where the oil pan bolts up.  CPA 04  and  6O14C.

Man said he was told it came out of a 350 and claims to have pictures of the engine being removed but like I told him maybe it was originally blown in 1966 and was replaced with a service block in 67.  Who knows what could have happened 50 years ago. The owner of the 350 at the time of the blocks alleged replacement was Lon Hill who is now deceased.  I have no clue whether the car was a 65 or 66 but it was white with blue stripes when I saw it.

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up but figured I owe it to my Shelby friends to check it out and at least try to reunite the block with the car if it was in fact a true story.  I don't believe there were any nefarious intentions on the old mans part he was simply repeating what he had been told.  I found my decades gone original block for my SCJ Sportsroof last summer and only hoped to provide a similarly joyous experience to some 350 owner somewhere. ;) :)
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Ranchero GT - 429

Bigfoot

Congrats on finding ur block. Moments like that are memorable.
I've "been there."
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Harris Speedster

wcode70,
I hope that you did look at the main caps to see if they were HiPo ?
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

wcode70

Quote from: Bigfoot on March 13, 2019, 12:47:03 PM
Congrats on finding ur block. Moments like that are memorable.
I've "been there."

Thanks Bill, very pleasantly surprised to find that SCJ block.  I figured it had been melted down 40 years ago and was part of a bunch of Toyotas today.

1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Ranchero GT - 429

wcode70

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 13, 2019, 12:52:22 PM
wcode70,
I hope that you did look at the main caps to see if they were HiPo ?
John

At first I thought they were hipo but after a closer look at some caps on ebay.. I think they are just regular 289 caps as they weren't as thick, top to bottom, as the ones in the link.

http://www.mustangtek.com/block/C5AE-6015-EHipo.html
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Ranchero GT - 429

gt350hr

That is another perfect example of reading a book ( or the internet) where the casting number is listed as  C5AE-E and "every" block magically becomes a HiPo.  Plus now with aftermarket 1-4 caps available there are "more" now than were made in the day. That doesn't include those converted to Mexican caps.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

GT350Lad

Thanks for letting us know mate. I had my fingers crossed it was someone's lost block
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Harris Speedster

Quote from: gt350hr on March 13, 2019, 05:11:26 PM
     That is another perfect example of reading a book ( or the internet) where the casting number is listed as  C5AE-E and "every" block magically becomes a HiPo.  Plus now with aftermarket 1-4 caps available there are "more" now than were made in the day. That doesn't include those converted to Mexican caps.
    Randy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
randy,
To clarify, seems I read that the re-pop caps have a distinguishable difference somehow ?

I think that most would agree that many re pop parts are different in subtle ways,
I thought about buying some re pop caps, and stopped because I was un sure.
Your eye is far better than mine for ID of it.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7