Author Topic: 289 Engine Stages  (Read 2934 times)

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
289 Engine Stages
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:07:55 PM »
I've noticed recently with some Dragonsnake listings and other Cobra ads that 289 engine upgrades were offered as Stage I/II/III. Can anyone explain the differences each of the stages offered?
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

CSX2259

• View Profile
Re: 289 Engine Stages
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 09:57:25 PM »
Basically, the stages depended mostly on the carburetion system that was ordered with the engine, with the Stage III being the highest horse power available and it having the Weber 4x2V intake manifold system. The next highest HP engine was the 2x4V (Carter) intake manifold system and the last being the 1x4V (Holley) intake manifold system. All of these were based on varying degrees of preparation except the Weber 4x2V equipped engines which were only available in a full competition form. For example, you could order your 289 Cobra with s 1x4V intake system, a 2x4V intake system installed on a stock 289HP engine or have that 289HP engine race prepared to become a Stage I or a Stage II respectively. The Stage III was only available as a fully prepared racing engine and was only available with a Weber 4x2V intake system. It is also noted in the catalog that depending on the “Stage” of the engine build that there were different camshafts available with a listing for a “roller” camshaft for the Stage III engine, this has been suggested as being false because of the various racing organizations rules governing “roller” camshafts. Also just because a Cobra May have been ordered with a 1x4V or 2x4V intake system doesn’t mean that they were a Stage I or Stage II equipped Cobra, it would have to have been specified as such when the Cobra was ordered new.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:10:34 PM by CSX2259 »

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:32:58 AM »
In 1967 I purchased CSX2192. Was told that it had been raced, but was young it wasn’t important.
Knew the car was quick, but my previous Cobra was also. The car had Weber’s. Was told that the Weber man in the Bay Area was Steve Griswold in Berkley. When I took the car to him learned a lot.
He was a previous sponsor of the car and it was a stage 3 set up plus...The cam was a Sullivan ground, heads were Mandela with large intake valves and Ballanger headers. At the time that ment nothing...! Years went on sold the car. Then about 30 plus years later was going thru ‘97 Registry and noticed info on a Cobra with black California plate XAW684. That sounded familiar.Yep, my old car.
That car is now Vintaged raced by John Goodman Racing. He now has all the pictures I had from back when. Still has the plate XAW684. Goat love the Registry!

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:44:33 AM »
Basically, the stages depended mostly on the carburetion system that was ordered with the engine, with the Stage III being the highest horse power available and it having the Weber 4x2V intake manifold system. The next highest HP engine was the 2x4V (Carter) intake manifold system and the last being the 1x4V (Holley) intake manifold system. All of these were based on varying degrees of preparation except the Weber 4x2V equipped engines which were only available in a full competition form. For example, you could order your 289 Cobra with s 1x4V intake system, a 2x4V intake system installed on a stock 289HP engine or have that 289HP engine race prepared to become a Stage I or a Stage II respectively. The Stage III was only available as a fully prepared racing engine and was only available with a Weber 4x2V intake system. It is also noted in the catalog that depending on the “Stage” of the engine build that there were different camshafts available with a listing for a “roller” camshaft for the Stage III engine, this has been suggested as being false because of the various racing organizations rules governing “roller” camshafts. Also just because a Cobra May have been ordered with a 1x4V or 2x4V intake system doesn’t mean that they were a Stage I or Stage II equipped Cobra, it would have to have been specified as such when the Cobra was ordered new.

Thanks! If there aren't any physical differences between a Stage 1 or 2 and just ordering a Cobra with a 1x4V or 2x4V, then is the only difference that the stages were offered from SA while just ordering a Cobra with an upgraded induction system was through the dealer?
-Brent

Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 09:45:17 AM »
Not sure about Cobra only stages,but Ford’s “Muscle Parts” program listed “stages” of modifications from Stage I thru Stage VI . The original catalog lists each group of parts for each stage. Maybe those are the stages some may refer to in 289 engines.....?

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »
In 1967 I purchased CSX2192. Was told that it had been raced, but was young it wasn’t important.
Knew the car was quick, but my previous Cobra was also. The car had Weber’s. Was told that the Weber man in the Bay Area was Steve Griswold in Berkley. When I took the car to him learned a lot.
He was a previous sponsor of the car and it was a stage 3 set up plus...The cam was a Sullivan ground, heads were Mandela with large intake valves and Ballanger headers. At the time that ment nothing...! Years went on sold the car. Then about 30 plus years later was going thru ‘97 Registry and noticed info on a Cobra with black California plate XAW684. That sounded familiar.Yep, my old car.
That car is now Vintaged raced by John Goodman Racing. He now has all the pictures I had from back when. Still has the plate XAW684. Goat love the Registry!

That is very cool. Hopefully your ownership is listed in the reg, otherwise speak to Ned.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
I thought I would add a little to the STAGES of performance. While adding different carburation would change the power levels, adding lots of fuel doesn't make a race engine. What no one has mentioned is the heart and soul of any engine program are the cylinder heads, This is where MOST power was produced and the two players involved with that process was JOE MONDELLO and VALLEY HEAD SERVICE. Cylinder heads, pistons,, camshaft profiles, ring packages, balancing and blueprinting, and a host of LOUIE UNSER magic made these engines sing. AHHH the good old days! ;D

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 10:47:26 AM »
Currently some pages from a SA parts catalog are for sale on ebay®. They are not mine. There is some information on racing engines and components included including cylinder heads by themselves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-1966-Shelby-American-Performance-Equipment-Catalog-Pages-12-17/333105837218?hash=item4d8ea7b4a2:g:HOwAAOSw4cBblZCP
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
427 heaven
Thanks for refreshing my old memory. Was not Mandela, but Mondello Heads! Memory has slipped a lot since 1967!

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
Basically all the “Stage” race engines received the engine shops attention, balancing, blue printing, degreed harmonic balancer, oil galley modifications and cylinder head work. As I also stated previously you could get a 1x4V or 2x4V induction system as an option installed on a stock 289HP engine as a option. The “Stage” race engines were primarily the same with the exception of the carburation, this is where the “Stage” levels were determined. If you ordered a competition engine with all the “goodies” but only opted for a 2x4V carburation system it was still regarded as a “Stage II” race engine.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:05:34 PM by CSX2259 »

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »
Your probably thinking of MANDELLA boats of that time frame. Many MONDELLO race engines went into MANDELLA boats, the fastest finest boats of that period of time. ;)

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 05:57:18 PM »
Awesome, thanks all!
-Brent