News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT500 Fill tube finish concensus

Started by acman63, March 17, 2019, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 20, 2019, 08:48:59 AM
Definitely black. It could be dark charcoal metallic?  ;)

Tall yellow cad heater fitting too. (check...got it!)

Black filler caps! Oh no!  :o

Edge of the air cleaner NAT 'LUMINUM! OH!

Thanks JD!  ;D
Dark charcoal metallic when all other pulleys ,brackets etc were black would be a stretch (I now you were teasing). Heater hose fitting could be gold or silver. Black filler caps? yes , they not deducted for in concours if they are the right size and have the correct trademark .  Edge of top air cleaner lid bare aluminum is a 67 style . 68 they got lazy and left it alone (black) . ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 20, 2019, 12:22:03 PM

Thanks JD!  ;D
Dark charcoal metallic when all other pulleys ,brackets etc were black would be a stretch (I now you were teasing). Heater hose fitting could be gold or silver. Black filler caps? yes , they not deducted for in concours if they are the right size and have the correct trademark .  Edge of top air cleaner lid bare aluminum is a 67 style . 68 they got lazy and left it alone (black) . ;D

What? Now I gotta' go repaint the '68s top again? Yikes!

What confuses me about that engine picture of Terry's car is the color of the head gasket showing. That looks strange.

Is the engine balancer supposed to be black or painted blue with the engine?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

acman63

Quote from: JD on March 20, 2019, 08:35:57 AM
Here are two images I have of Terry's car, both would seem (?) to be black ?

Look at the nice polished fins on the valve covers.  Next time you see a set of sanded fins and letters think of this picture what they are supposed to look like
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 20, 2019, 04:04:52 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 20, 2019, 12:22:03 PM

Thanks JD!  ;D

What? Now I gotta' go repaint the '68s top again? Yikes!

What confuses me about that engine picture of Terry's car is the color of the head gasket showing. That looks strange.

Is the engine balancer supposed to be black or painted blue with the engine?
Balancer was black and spacer bare metal with engine color overspray. Evidence indicates spacer was on the crank most likely to protect the timing cover seal from paint. It should not be completely painted engine blue but it should have some overspray on it from the engine paint process of the timing cover.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: acman63 on March 20, 2019, 04:38:26 PM

Look at the nice polished fins on the valve covers.  Next time you see a set of sanded fins and letters think of this picture what they are supposed to look like
Some of the shininess can be attributed to polaroid flash. I don't think highly mirror polished from evidence I have seen. They look better that way IMO but they were more on the order of a 600 grit from evidence I have seen which includes NOS examples. Definitely not mirror shiny originally IMO. Just my opinion others may have different.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 20, 2019, 06:40:23 PM

Some of the shininess can be attributed to polaroid flash. I don't think highly mirror polished from evidence I have seen. They look better that way IMO but they were more on the order of a 600 grit from evidence I have seen which includes NOS examples. Definitely not mirror shiny originally IMO. Just my opinion others may have different.

Now we're judging the gloss of the polish in grit numbers? Where can I get the chart? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

acman63

we agree to disagree on this  one Bob:  ive had NOS covers and they were polished  just like all the original untouched cars Ive seen
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 21, 2019, 04:23:47 PM

Now we're judging the gloss of the polish in grit numbers? Where can I get the chart? ::)
I know you were teasing but it is hard to describe shininess. In this case I was trying to describe a shininess or polish level below mirror finish polish. Jim and I agree to disagree on this to not belabor the point which is fine . It happens sometimes.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 21, 2019, 05:30:51 PM

I know you were teasing but it is hard to describe shininess. In this case I was trying to describe a shininess or polish level below mirror finish polish. Jim and I agree to disagree on this to not belabor the point which is fine . It happens sometimes.

Yes I'm teasing and I do very much appreciate your input on these things. More times then not, you're right. Not always, but mostly.  ;D

I would describe my valve covers as polished vs. what is on my 68 '350 Cobra covers. Probably "Brillo pad" polished shinny. Sanded would be wrong I think.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 21, 2019, 06:37:57 PM

Yes I'm teasing and I do very much appreciate your input on these things. More times then not, you're right. Not always, but mostly.  ;D

I would describe my valve covers as polished vs. what is on my 68 '350 Cobra covers. Probably "Brillo pad" polished shinny. Sanded would be wrong I think.
Hey if I can be right more times then not and "mostly" then I consider that a win win.  ;D

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 21, 2019, 06:49:04 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on March 21, 2019, 06:37:57 PM

Hey if I can be right more times then not and "mostly" then I consider that a win win.  ;D

I'll agree with that. I can't think of any other place on this planet to get an accurate opinion on a '67 GT500 then from you.

There certainly is no one from my planet (which is not Earth) that knows anything about this subject. More importantly, I no longer speak to them because they don't even care about Shelby's. So unfortunately you are known throughout the Galaxie.

That's largely my fault. That's the breaks? ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!