News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoring EFFPI steering wheel

Started by Skidado, March 09, 2019, 08:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Found this in a similar thread  on another forum

The contact information for Automotive Specialties:

Automotive specialties
Anthony Orlando
857 Nine Times Rd
Pickens, SC 29671-9236
(864) 878-1472

Anyone here use them?

Skidado

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will be refinishing the wheel myself as it is in pretty good shape and I believe I have the skills (I'm an Engineer).

My question is really about the lacquer finish on the wood rim.  Were they finished this way from the factory or did they have an oiled/waxed finish?

If they were lacquered, did the lacquer extend to the black plastic tabs, or were they left 'natural' finish?  I have looked at hundreds of photos on the interweb and some looked lacquered and some natural.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

David

terlingua11

I was please with my results from Jeff. Here was his information for future reference.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Quote from: Skidado on March 14, 2019, 09:15:03 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will be refinishing the wheel myself as it is in pretty good shape and I believe I have the skills (I'm an Engineer).

My question is really about the lacquer finish on the wood rim.  Were they finished this way from the factory or did they have an oiled/waxed finish?

If they were lacquered, did the lacquer extend to the black plastic tabs, or were they left 'natural' finish?  I have looked at hundreds of photos on the interweb and some looked lacquered and some natural.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

David.       Birch wood Casey tru oil gunstock finish is what I used...Apply with your fingers and level with oooo steel wool between coats(and tack clean)...Very important that wheel is super smoothe(progressive grits of sandpaper)and clean before you start...Mask well!!!I put on like 25 coats and it looks dope...0000 steel wool will also remove fine scratches etc. on the stainless.Good luck!!!

67 GT350

Jeff is good, been doing it a long time. I believe he polys them so they are a strong finish. Hmmm an engineer? Oh boy, how many of you will it take to finish a wood wheel? LOL, that's a joke for your intellectual-ness-ness.
RARE  Signature Delete

Skidado

67 GT350

Remember what is behind the wheel that you cannot see in your pictures. that is just the front of it.
RARE  Signature Delete

My wheel was way worse pre refinish..Just remember ALL of the old finish needs to come off...If you don't have bare wood the finish can't penetrate and you will have a mottled mess.Mask the spokes carefully with good painters tape to protect from sanding mistakes.Good luck!!

1967 eight barrel

Stevens not only gouges but the grain was incorrect.  Not inpressed, even more so with an 1800.00 price tag.

s2ms

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on March 21, 2019, 03:51:24 PM
A couple WASAAC members have used this place....https://www.rightturnfab.com/
Dave, will they do restorations on genuine wheels or only sell their own version?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

Jeff is good. I have seen much of his work over the years and its nice. Do what you gotta do with your wheel. I will be having a wheel done by Jeff as soon as he can take it in, I will post before pictures soon. BTW my wheel is broken it is in 2 pieces, the rim and the center. Obliterated is a nice word.  This should be interesting.
RARE  Signature Delete

s2ms

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 21, 2019, 05:41:10 PM
Dave, will they do restorations on genuine wheels or only sell their own version?

Bob, I've not used them myself but the one wheel I have seen was a restored original, it was really nice.
Dave - 6S1757