News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

AM Radio Conversion and USB Port Location

Started by rbarkley, March 09, 2019, 04:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

I had Richard at R&B Vintage Auto Radio do a full aurora conversion on my radio.
Was trying to figure out what to do with the USB/Aux In port, so I ordered a repop
filler panel from NPD and began experimenting.

This is where I decided to mount it as it keeps everything within reach and close by.
The radio is not in the car yet, but wanted to think through all the locations and speaker wiring.  Just using kick-panel speakers and dual cone Pioneer on top in the original speaker location.

Link to radio after conversion and blue tooth.

https://youtu.be/FTT0n4Nagyk

I also experimented with the texture facing on the repop panel.  Plan to redo that!

Ron

Bob Gaines

I would blacken the two silver screws so that they don't stand out . You have a lot going on there and no need to make it look busier then you have to. Just a personal opinion. I think you will find that the best way to get the gauge bezels and front plate to match is to redo all at the same time. A little more work but you are used to that . ;) How much did he charge for the conversion?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rbarkley

Good idea on the screws and pod finish.  Thank you!

$635.00 on the conversion.  Not the cheapest route, but one that affords the latest tech without a lot of external or obvious modifications.

Plus, I enjoy listening to tunes while driving!

rbarkley

Everything works!  The sound is pretty good at least outside the car  ???
Now for the interior - wiring, dash, and trim re-installation.  So far, the power supply has proved very useful checking the radio, bulbs etc., etc.
Ron

charlie D

Ron, that location looks good, much better than hanging a separate bracket under the dash or punching through somewhere on the dash panel. I sent my radio out to Richard for the conversion as well. He says I should expect it back within the next two weeks. Looking forward to a radio that actually works!
Charlie D

shelbydoug

This is the first that I've heard of this type of conversion. I don't see or find any contact information for this. Can someone fill me in please? Thanks.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rbarkley

Thanks Charlie.   I think you will be happy with the conversion.

The contact info is ...

Richard Blankenship

Shipping Address:

708 North Green Hill R.D.
         Mt. Juliet, TN  37122

https://www.randbvintageautoradio.com/contact-us.html

Ron

BDT 739

I had the aurora conversion done on my radio last year.  I had the digital tuner with AM, FM and auxiliary cable installed. This ran around $385 plus another $36 round trip shipping.
WWW.SouthTexasAntiqueElectronics.com did this work in about a three week turn around.  Someone I know did the USB and Bluetooth with 8 track full conversion at this place on their 70 Mach 1 and they restored the 8 track as well.

shelbydoug

Quote from: rbarkley on March 17, 2019, 08:31:02 PM
Thanks Charlie.   I think you will be happy with the conversion.

The contact info is ...

Richard Blankenship

Shipping Address:

708 North Green Hill R.D.
         Mt. Juliet, TN  37122

https://www.randbvintageautoradio.com/contact-us.html

Ron

His web page says he is not accepting any work at present. $385 would be a bargain in my view. I was expecting something a lot more.

I know I don't want to make any more holes in the car in anything. I'm still filling holes from previous owners racing days. I may have to be resigned to accepting a day 2 car?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TedS

...I know I don't want to make any more holes in the car in anything. I'm still filling holes from previous owners .....
[/quote]

I had my KR in a show back in the late 80's where the GT350 next to me had a hole hacked in the console for an FM converter. UGH! Still makes me cringe.

Ted

BDT 739

Quote from rbarkley:
I had Richard at R&B Vintage Auto Radio do a full aurora conversion on my radio.
Was trying to figure out what to do with the USB/Aux In port, so I ordered a repop
filler panel from NPD and began experimenting

Like the way the repop filler plate was used to add the audio jacks.  No extra holes and looks clean.

shelbydoug

The solution offers a lot of good alternatives where few if any existed before. Looks like I have another project about to start? Thanks for the input and sharing.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

charlie D

FYI, if you are looking for a fast turn around, R&B is not taking new orders at this time.

shelbydoug

Quote from: charlie D on March 21, 2019, 03:14:01 PM
FYI, if you are looking for a fast turn around, R&B is not taking new orders at this time.

Hum? I thought I said that?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

charlie D

Yes, you did. Missed it, sorry about that.