News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Knoxville, TN

Started by 67 GT350, March 12, 2019, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

We are thinking of moving from Upstate NY to Knoxville, any forum member with advise? (NY is just not as good as it was anymore).
What is it like to live there?
Is it safe?
Is it car friendly?
Are there car events, people that are into cars?
Are there good Diners?
If I have a home, is it easy, Code and Town issues, to build a nice car garage for the hobby?
Are there older garages on the market for sale? (I cannot seem to find property like that).
Anything else you can offer about Knoxville?
RARE  Signature Delete

CharlesTurner

A good realtor could answer most of those questions.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

CSX 4133

Hello Fran, I live near Knoxville and can offer some insight into the area.

Is it safe: Like any major city it does have crime, violent crime is low, especially in the county areas. The city proper seems to have
               minor property crimes which are mostly "crimes of opportunity" types.
Is it car friendly:  I would say yes, again especially in the county area road wise. Very little if any snow, moderate winter
                          temperatures (relatively speaking coming from Texas) cooler summer temps. so you can enjoy top down driving
                          more. Quarterly there is a huge Cars & Coffee in Knoxville (2000-3000+) cars show up. Two smaller local Cars &
                          Coffee are held in the area monthly. There is nearly monthly car shows, cruises, swap meets, most are geared
                          toward newer cars, hot rods, but anyone is welcome to these events. There is a large Ford club locally, I haven't
                          participated as yet so I cannot comment on them, but they meet monthly.
Are there good diners:  Yes and no. There are at least three 60's type diners in the area. I would say they are fair, not great, and at
                                  least one is car friendly in that they encourage "vintage" cars to show up at their business. There are quite
                                  a few Mom and Pop diners which are pretty good, serving "home cooking". Downtown there are a lot of
                                  newer corner restaurants, ethnic foods and Brewery Pubs, like any town parking can be an issue. Come
                                  spring there is a large Farmers Market downtown that local growers sell fruits and vegetables if that is of
                                  interest.
Housing:                   I cannot speak to what codes Knoxville proper has regarding an oversized garage, unless you are in a HOA
                                I don't think there are any restrictions. I would check with the City of Knoxville if you think you will live in the
                                city. Knox County has no restrictions on size (again baring being in a HOA) which is one reason I live in the
                                county. Housing can be an issue, finding a house with enough property (in your price range) can be an issue.
                                Houses sell fairly quickly here, especially moderately priced homes close to or in the city. Because Knoxville is
                                fairly hilly, finding a level lot can be a challenge, but not impossible. If not living within the city, there are
                                more options property wise in the surrounding areas outside Knoxville. Before we moved here we looked for
                                an existing house with a oversized garage, none could be found, so we bought a house on 6 acres and built a
                                40x50 garage. The building trades here don't have enough skilled workers, so getting a contractor with his
                                own workers, plus Sub's. can be an issue. It took nearly one year to complete my garage, not good ! 
                                Fortunately I found a great place to store my cars while it was being built, if you need their name I'd be
                                happy to recommend them to you.

Fran, if you have more questions I can help with please let me know.

~ Steven

Knoxville C & C website:    http://www.harpercarsandcoffee.com

67 GT350

Thank you! I like hearing from real people, calling a Realtor can be trying to get down to earth answers/opinions. Sounds like a nice place to be.
RARE  Signature Delete

BGlover67

Quote from: Fran on March 12, 2019, 11:00:12 AM
Thank you! I like hearing from real people, calling a Realtor can be trying to get down to earth answers/opinions. Sounds like a nice place to be.

I don't live there, but have visited a few times.  It is a nice place.  Being a former NY'er my self who relocated to North Cackalacky, I can say that you are making a wise decision that you will not regret.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

67 GT350

Hi, thank you! We are also looking in the Pinehurst area, we are searching and visiting a few placed this year.
RARE  Signature Delete

CSX 4133

If you visit Knoxville, be sure to check out the Smokey Mountains, Cades Cove, Gatlinburg and of course the famous Tail of the Dragon. Lots of great hiking, boating and cultural things to do.

NC TRACKRAT

Pinehurst has a whole bunch of car fanatics.  Everything from antiques, muscle cars, Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes and exotics like McLaren....not to mention golf.  Matter of fact, the whole state of North Carolina is full of good car people.  Keep in mind that Tennessee was once part of NC and we just lopped off TN and kept the good part! ;) (Just kidding...I'm originally from TN)
5S071, 6S1467

67 GT350

Haha, we are looking at NC also, Does TN have car inspections? About what is the cost to register a car there? I only ask because we have 9 cars now, and its growing!
RARE  Signature Delete

NC TRACKRAT

'nother plug for NC...You can get Antique Auto plates for any vehicle 35 years old or older.  Once that's done, property tax is calculated based on a $500 value of the vehicle....and no inspections for them, either. You will be assessed a "Use Tax" for each vehicle brought into the state.  I think the maximum is $300/vehicle.
5S071, 6S1467

CSX 4133

Quote from: Fran on March 12, 2019, 07:27:35 PM
Haha, we are looking at NC also, Does TN have car inspections? About what is the cost to register a car there? I only ask because we have 9 cars now, and its growing!

No vehicle inspections, no front license plate requirement and to title/register a vehicle is $71.00. You can also get antique vehicle plates here, the restriction is you can only drive it to shows or for vehicle servicing. I opted for regular plates to avoid the hassle.

rockhouse66

NC has state income tax and TN does not.

67 GT350

Yeah, that is what is on my mind, although I wonder how long the cancer (no offense intended) that moves to good States like that will soon suffer.....FYI when you start talking taxes, NY and Cali are fighting to be dumb and dumber. (Sorry NY and CA), this is not about you. I think sales tax in TN is higher though. I think on that you have to do a all around total cost to live there. Right now I see NC and TN as very comparable states to enjoy life in.
RARE  Signature Delete

TOBKOB

QuoteI think sales tax in TN is higher though.

I believe the sales tax is 9.75 %. I live close to TN so we do a lot of our shopping in Chattanooga and you can count on an additional 3% over GA sales tax.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

CSX 4133

8.5-9.75% is correct, food is taxed at 5% basically.