Author Topic: Power steering easy to right hard left  (Read 4060 times)

Dizzy

• View Profile
Re: Power steering easy to right hard left
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »
That is why I included a picture from shop manual. Makes it easier for novice to understand. I am retired Ford tech after 43 years and had a few on my list and even under warranty! Yes, 8B,I see where our terminology is just crossed,same issue. At this point it is hard to know what is causing the problem,but one thing it is not,is the pitman arm. Two different grease/lube points. Sometimes the sleeve gets damaged by using “pickle fork” to seperate. Do not use that type tool. I find it easier to have the valve on the bench,not under the car while servicing. Good luck
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:18:46 AM by Dizzy »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »
I agree there. It's a bench job, or you can send it to Rode's Restoration in Ohio. The units come back adjusted centered. He does them on the bench when tested under pressure.
                                                                 -Keith

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »
Keith yes it best done on the bench that's how I did it the first time and all went well.

Rode's isn't a viable option as I'm in Australia.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »
If you removed your control valve from the steering relay rod shipping wouldn't be that painful to send stateside.
I fly for American and we get a great discount through FEDEX. If you can make arangements for the rebuild via Stanger ( Randy or Rode) You can ship the valve to them, have them ship to me and I will ship back to you at my cost via FEDEX.

-Keith

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 04:51:06 PM »
Keith,

Thanks for the extremely generous off.

Once i’e taken the valve off I’ll take a look to see if something sinisterly obvious has gone wrong since I rebuilt it that could be the cause.

I’ll keep in touch.

Ross

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 06:56:56 AM »

After pulling out the control valve I immediately found the Ball stud moved way too much with the ball stud floating around.

The long bolt that the adjusting nut spun around and wasn’t secured by the roll pin onto the sleeve.

Reassembled and fitted back in and now it works perfectly fine again.

Fired up the engine and bled the system.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 12:03:09 AM »
Great to hear it was a simple issue! 

-Keith