Author Topic: R model radiator  (Read 266 times)

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
R model radiator
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:12:17 PM »
Guys,
What ford radiator did Shelby use when building the R models>
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: R model radiator
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »
Hi John,

The leading opinion on the internet seems to be a Galaxie radiator, but I have heard that the R-model radiator was a hybrid of a two Galaxie radiators.  Possible a  combinations of upper and lower tanks to best fit in the car and interface with the engine.  The car also will need to have the core support cut open to match the radiator for best cooling.

We will see what other have to say.

Cory

Bob Gaines

• Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
Hi John,

The leading opinion on the internet seems to be a Galaxie radiator, but I have heard that the R-model radiator was a hybrid of a two Galaxie radiators.  Possible a  combinations of upper and lower tanks to best fit in the car and interface with the engine.  The car also will need to have the core support cut open to match the radiator for best cooling.

Cory
I believe to begin with that they used a Radiator from a FE Galaxie which resulted in complicated radiator hose routing as can be seen in some vintage photos. Later it was found that a smallblock radiator from the same car could be used without the associated problems of the FE version . They still had to beat down the radiator neck to clear the hood regardless.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:17:39 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:46:25 AM »
Hi John,

Cory
I believe to begin with that they used a Radiator from a FE Galaxie which resulted in complicated radiator hose routing as can be seen in some vintage photos. Later it was found that a smallblock radiator from the same car could be used without the associated problems of the FR version . They still had to beat down the radiator neck to clear the hood regardless.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the clarification.  Now I can see where the two radiators came from, both from a Galaxie, but used one after the other, not as a hybrid of them together.

Take care

Cory

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:29:44 AM »
As always,
A wealth of information.
I thought my friends collection had an R model radiator.
Not the case, but it is apparently a 64 galaxies radiator.
Subtle differences .
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7