Author Topic: Who installed the lockers in 65 Shelbys?  (Read 5720 times)

Helmantel

• View Profile
Re: Who installed the lockers in 65 Shelbys?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 12:58:03 AM »
Speaking of rear axles: where the wider drums also installed at Ford?

In magazine articles they sometimes speak of "the cars got station wagon rear axles". Is there any truth to that? I mean, did they  installe a complete 65 Fairlane stationwagon 9 inch assembly instead of the regular Mustang K code 9 inch or did they just swap the brakes and install a new center section in the Musang axle?

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 11:37:14 AM »
  Magazine information has a tendency to "evolve" from what actually happened.  Here are the facts as I know them Two  different 9" housings were made especially for the Mustang with the 289 high performance engine option. A '65 "round back" version with a small square headed pipe plug to add fluid and a '66 version with a "half round" back plate with a large hex headed plug for filling. SAI vehicles had a special differential assembly that used these housings and added '63 Fairlane station wagon "spec" backing plates and 2-1/2 brake drums along with "Velvet Touch" metallic shoes (and high temp hardware). The '65 differentials were 3.89 with a 28 spline Detroit locker and all the "round back " version. '66 "carry overs" and "some" early '66 chassied cars ( like 6S 476 and 477 among others) had the round back housings but "most" '66's had the "half round" housing and "open differentials ( standard) The '66s DID retain the full metallic brake set up from '65. SO the axle assemblies were NOT station wagon assemblies but did have station wagon sourced brakes.
    Hope that clears it up a bit . Ask more if you are still unclear.
      Randy
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:40:39 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
  Magazine information has a tendency to "evolve" from what actually happened.  Here are the facts as I know them Two  different 9" housings were made especially for the Mustang with the 289 high performance engine option. A '65 "round back" version with a small square headed pipe plug to add fluid and a '66 version with a "half round" back plate with a large hex headed plug for filling. SAI vehicles had a special differential assembly that used these housings and added '63 Fairlane station wagon "spec" backing plates and 2-1/2 brake drums along with "Velvet Touch" metallic shoes (and high temp hardware). The '65 differentials were 3.89 with a 28 spline Detroit locker and all the "round back " version. '66 "carry overs" and "some" early '66 chassied cars ( like 6S 476 and 477 among others) had the round back housings but "most" '66's had the "half round" housing and "open differentials ( standard) The '66s DID retain the full metallic brake set up from '65. SO the axle assemblies were NOT station wagon assemblies but did have station wagon sourced brakes.
      Randy

I believe the Fairlane had a different track or leaf spring mount spread, remember the Mustang is a Falcon platform until 1967, either way the housing is a different #.
Pulling the Fairlane station wagon / taxi drum brake package and bolting it up was a simple upgrade, all C3OZ parts.

regards,

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »
  Correct Jim . C5ZZ and C6ZZ housings are different than the Fairlane  housings. The brakes were an easy "upgrade".
      Randy

Helmantel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 05:39:44 AM »
  Magazine information has a tendency to "evolve" from what actually happened. 

I agree. Whenever I read something about a topic that I know a lot about, and find the different errors, it reminds that those articles on topics that are new to me also must be full of errors :)

SO the axle assemblies were NOT station wagon assemblies but did have station wagon sourced brakes.
      Randy

That was my understanding too, but thought I'd ask to make sure now that the topic was up.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 11:59:17 AM »
 It's always safer to ask than assume.   I have known several magazine writers.  Often the information they were given was a bit skewed. Back in the day term station wagon was associated with heavier duty parts and IIRC even some Ford ads mentioned that station wagon sourced parts were used. Writers took that as verbatum and put it in their articles but it was actually out of context. MANY photos of parts and engines had incorrect notations back then.
   Randy

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 04:15:42 AM »
Thanks Randy, I only just saw your post. Appreciate the insight into the locker tags.

Cheers
6S373
6S1276