Author Topic: Jim Morrison's 67 GT500 AFTER 1969  (Read 43776 times)

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
Jim Morrison's 67 GT500 AFTER 1969
« on: March 15, 2019, 06:04:36 PM »
Hello All,

I am new to posting here but I have been a casual lurker for quite some time now. My main objective of a post here is to revive a famous, (or infamous depending on your viewpoint) topic. The search for Jim Morrison's 1967 GT500, the "Blue Lady".

I am not a collector but a Shelby and Doors fan. The information I am posting is already out there because I found it on Newspapers.com, and I am not the first to find it. I wish to update the ongoing narrative about this car, that it was last seen in 1969 and "known to be" destroyed.

The 1967 GT500 Shelby license plate VRD 389 was posted for sale in 1970 and as late as October 1971 in the Los Angeles Times. At a place called Ray's Hi-Performance Center in Inglewood, CA. To me, it appears the car had 14k then 15k miles on it as posted. So, someone was driving it. It states in one add that it "has been stored" and was listed for $2500 then $2350. I feel that Morrison's driving history with this car dictated that someone of influence, urged that the car be put up for sale. Possibly his eventual move to Paris in April 1971 prompted this sale.

This to me is convincing proof that his car existed after 1969 and even after his death in July 1971. Now we moved up the mystery up 2 years and I believe the car still exists out there somewhere. Let us start off the discussions based on these adds.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Morrison's 67 GT500 AFTER 1969
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 06:58:43 PM »
Fun Mystery. But I am a huge Doors fan. Cue the non-fans......

Show room condition seems like it would be a stretch.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:00:01 PM »
First let me welcome you to the SAAC boards and congratulate you on your first post.

I see we share some of the same interests the Doors, Jimmy and Shelbys.

Truly very interesting articles you provide.

Dont agree that the car is still with us , but I believe as you mentioned that possibly someone of influence or great influence would want to recreate or resuscitate this valuable Shelby.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
Thank you! I am confident that there are enough experts on this forum that would call out a recreation posing as the original.

First let me welcome you to the SAAC boards and congratulate you on your first post.

I see we share some of the same interests the Doors, Jimmy and Shelbys.

Truly very interesting articles you provide.

Dont agree that the car is still with us , but I believe as you mentioned that possibly someone of influence or great influence would want to recreate or resuscitate this valuable Shelby.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »
Interesting, for sure. What happens to the plate numbers after a car is destroyed? Could they be re-issued? 

Seems unlikely they would go on another 1967 GT500

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »
naaaa, they are usually sold on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163590115308?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Interesting, for sure. What happens to the plate numbers after a car is destroyed? Could they be re-issued? 

Seems unlikely they would go on another 1967 GT500

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:34:12 PM »
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
I think the lack of items from this car showing up for sale suggests the possibility it's still out there.
Every other thing Doors or Jim Morrison related seems to end up on eBay.
I remember even seeing items from the house he lived in off of Laurel Canyon. Lights, switch covers Etc.
Nothing from the Blue Lady though, save for the copy of the registration. From what I recall that was obtained from Jim's friend Paul Ferrera, went to a Doors memorabilia collector who offered it on eBay. The rest is history.

A little known fact about Paul Ferrera. He was driving the Shelby in the scene when Jim was hitchhiking in his movie HWY. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163590115308?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Think this was a question about the license plates...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:56:14 PM by Waiting for 939 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 09:11:48 PM »
I think the lack of items from this car showing up for sale suggests the possibility it's still out there.
I remember even seeing items from the house he lived in off of Laurel Canyon. Lights, switch covers Etc.
Nothing from the Blue Lady though, save for the copy of the registration. From what I recall that was obtained from Jim's friend Paul Ferrera, went to a Doors memorabilia collector who offered it on eBay. The rest is history.

A little known fact about Paul Ferrera. He was driving the Shelby in the scene when Jim was hitchhiking in his movie HWY. 

You don't know if some parts from the car haven't already been sold . They may have been sold but not attributed to the singer because the seller was not aware for whatever reason. Parted out cars get their parts sold all the time and during the process no thought is given to the prior owner. Just saying that may be a explanation why the name hasn't come up associated with the sold parts.Just a possibility. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 09:15:11 PM »
kinda sorta agree with your statement, but will take the liberty to rephrase ;

the lack of items from this car showing up for sale suggests that it is gone from the face of the earth .

but that does not rule out the creativity of some to reconstruct and resurrect...if and when it comes back to life, not even the most astute people / judges will be able to distinguish that it's not the real one...

rise lazarus, rise...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:16:55 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
I would like to add a little to this thread... My car was taken off the road the same time Morrisons car was approx. 1971, My car is a nightmist blue car as well, number 1189. For a time I thought I had Jims car before the number came to light. Anyway the pictures that keep appearing, the lighter blue crushed car appears to be Acapulco blue, not Nightmist blue. 48 years later... mine is coming back to life. I hope this one does as well, but back in the day it was just a used up Hot Rod :-\

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »
I think it's very interesting about the one common denominator about this car. Totaled, crushed, gone in 1969.
If I quote a well-known tautology, "We don't know what we don't know". If I apply this to the Shelby and the stories told.
The people telling the 1969 story as fact, were not aware that one day we would be able to search the internet to find a for-sale adds from 1970 and 1971.

This same thing applies now, and its totally plausible that the car was parted out over the years. But I don't think so.
I believe there was a conscious effort of misinformation to dissuade people from searching for the car.
Jim's former brother-in-law told the "went missing from LAX story. Jim's former bodyguard said in an article "it did not survive by any means". It was crushed in 1969.

"We don't know what we don't know" Yet....

kinda sorta agree with your statement, but will take the liberty to rephrase ;

the lack of items from this car showing up for sale suggests that it is gone from the face of the earth .

but that does not rule out the creativity of some to reconstruct and resurrect...if and when it comes back to life, not even the most astute people / judges will be able to distinguish that it's not the real one...

rise lazarus, rise...

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 10:10:32 PM »
The biggest questions:

1)  Is Jim Morrison still alive?

2) If so, is "Waiting For 939" Jim Morrison?

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 10:12:07 PM »
I believe Jim was spotted coming out of a Walmart with Elvis a few months back.. I need to check my back issues of "The National Enquirer". 8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:35 PM »
+1

I believe Jim was spotted coming out of a Walmart with Elvis a few months back.. I need to check my back issues of "The National Enquirer". 8)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:25:00 AM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy