Author Topic: Jim Morrison's 67 GT500 AFTER 1969  (Read 43759 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Jim Morrison's 67 GT500 AFTER 1969
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 07:49:41 AM »
Personally, I would remain open to the idea.

If you think its been crushed, I have two words for you “little red” 🦄

Disguised as a 1968 some said, others said no way....

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 08:06:01 AM »
Anyway the pictures that keep appearing, the lighter blue crushed car appears to be Acapulco blue, not Nightmist blue.

The serial of the Acapulco Blue 1968 GT500 convertible is known. This has been discussed on the forum several times.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »
gone but painstakingly being recreated....

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »
Same with Bullit Mustang and look at what that car has become.

I have a true story about that car which emphasizes you just never know. I was a manager at a well-known Speed Shop in Northern Jersey. We had a part-time high school kid who worked after-school and mentioned that he knew who had the car, and described that it still had signs of camera mounts etc. We pushed and pushed this kid to lead us to view this iconic movie car. Well, it never happened and was dismissed and forgotten about.

Later when the car was unveiled by the son of the owner, and he mentioned his dad had passed. I found his obituary online and I was surprised to read and realize, that the high-school kid was the nephew of the man who had the Bullit Mustang all of those years in Madison NJ. Less than 5 miles from the speed shop.

The nephew probably mentioned to his uncle that he worked with some fellow gearheads that wanted to see the car.
Obviously, we can all imagine how that conversation went.

So, information comes and goes and is forgotten.   

jswoody

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 09:18:11 AM »
Great post and detective work.  As a fan of Shelby and the Doors I think it would be awesome to see the Blue Lady found and the mystery of her disappearance solved. The gap in time from 1971 to 2019 would seem to support the demise conclusion, however it doesn't close the door completely.  I will keep hoping for this beauty to resurface someday. 

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 09:26:55 AM »
Is that known information or a belief? They would need parts like in the picture below right?

gone but painstakingly being recreated....

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 10:00:17 AM »
Same with Bullit Mustang and look at what that car has become.

I have a true story about that car which emphasizes you just never know. I was a manager at a well-known Speed Shop in Northern Jersey. We had a part-time high school kid who worked after-school and mentioned that he knew who had the car, and described that it still had signs of camera mounts etc. We pushed and pushed this kid to lead us to view this iconic movie car. Well, it never happened and was dismissed and forgotten about.

Later when the car was unveiled by the son of the owner, and he mentioned his dad had passed. I found his obituary online and I was surprised to read and realize, that the high-school kid was the nephew of the man who had the Bullit Mustang all of those years in Madison NJ. Less than 5 miles from the speed shop.

The nephew probably mentioned to his uncle that he worked with some fellow gearheads that wanted to see the car.
Obviously, we can all imagine how that conversation went.

So, information comes and goes and is forgotten.   

The specific cars for me were not the Bullet cars. My list is of cars all known to be within 2 miles of me. I'm probably forgetting a few but 1) street '65 GT350 in someone's back yard with a blown engine 2) 65 R model crashed into a bridge abutment on Sprain Parkway driving home from Larsen Ford 3) maroon 427 Cobra with Maine license plates (near Yonkers Raceway) 4) dark blue 67 GT500 with no side stripes in New Rochelle  5) abandoned 68 GT350 convertible  6) 289 Cobra Dragonsnake with 428 installed (somewhere in the Bronx)  7) Detomaso Mangusta (White Plains)   8) Black 67 GT500 in storage shed in New City. 9) two 427 Cobra theft recoveries at Blood Brothers in Mamaroneck

I could go on but what happens is that the guys who actually knew didn't want to share the specifics until AFTER they were "discovered". Discovered my butt...sober up and try and remember where you saw them.

I remember Inglese's 289 Cobra coming out of a private house residential neighborhood in BROOKLYN and "recently" a Pantera picking up a kid at Iona Prep. Asking one of my sons who was the kid and they didn't know him.

I just asked one of them if they know of any cars stashed away locally and they said, yea, yours! I give up but the reality is they are still out there and someone will come across them just walking in the woods like you finding a spearhead stuck in the scull of a Mastodon's? That happens all the time...right?

I figure that it's fate that has "you" find them. If it's meant to be...

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:07:07 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69bosssvt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
I actually love the idea that there is a certain sense of uncertainty surrounding this car. It piques my interest that there could be a possibility that this car is still "with us".... Jim too...lol!
Do it now...sometimes "LATER" becomes "NEVER"....

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »
Same. When you see for-sale adds 1-2 years after it was purported by insiders to have already be long gone. I think what is not being said is what really interests me.

Jim however, I think we can accept that he is not coming back.

I actually love the idea that there is a certain sense of uncertainty surrounding this car. It piques my interest that there could be a possibility that this car is still "with us".... Jim too...lol!

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »

Or the 2nd Bullitt car found in Mexico...
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »
I actually expect it to be around and registered under the Ford number some where. That being not in
California because of the license plate separation. The stories on how that car was wrecked several times makes me suspect it had a new front clip and the Ford numbers gone?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »
I considered that especially when I saw a car on this forum that had a replacement VIN stamped in the door frame by the DMV. I don't know the extent of where VINs are placed by the Ford factory. I know with Chevys there are several locations of the "hidden VINs" and those have debunked some high dollar Camaro's. Sadly, you are never going to prevent the scammers from doing their dirty work. That's why a paper trail is so important with any collectible.

Possible previous damage can be a telltale sign on identifying this car?

e
I actually expect it to be around and registered under the Ford number some where. That being not in
California because of the license plate separation. The stories on how that car was wrecked several times makes me suspect it had a new front clip and the Ford numbers gone?

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »
An old-time drag racer told me one time. When some people call a car "clean" it means they just washed the windows.
That Showroom condition quote in the add made me wonder too. Marketing 101.

Quote from: Show room condition seems like it would be a stretch.
[/quote

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 01:32:27 PM »
I considered that especially when I saw a car on this forum that had a replacement VIN stamped in the door frame by the DMV. I don't know the extent of where VINs are placed by the Ford factory. I know with Chevys there are several locations of the "hidden VINs" and those have debunked some high dollar Camaro's. Sadly, you are never going to prevent the scammers from doing their dirty work. That's why a paper trail is so important with any collectible.

Possible previous damage can be a telltale sign on identifying this car?

e

As far as I know, the '67s "secret" location is under the fender lip on the passenger side. There was a "Ford publication" for Police use that showed the location of the numbers.

I seem to remember that there is one location that requires a hole to be drilled in one of the rear frame rails from within the trunk, i.e., from the top but I don't think that applied to the 67 and 68 Mustangs? I don't remember which car model though.

I have both a 67 and a 68, and can say that if there is a chassis number stamped into the rear frame rail that it must be a very light stamping because it has no "transparancy" like the front numbers do under the stampings.

I think that the engine and transmission stampings were considered at the time to be "secret" stampings and in so many cases are not complete numbers.

Probably the biggest reason that the Shelby serial number system got revised in '68 was because of this issue of being able to register the cars from a bill of sale and use the Ford numbers, not the Shelby serial number and it would come up as a "clean" number.

By the '69 model year the system was completely revised and there was only one chassis number which identified the car as a Shelby model.

Over the years there certainly has been much more then one Shelby disappear in plain sight under it's Ford number and likely they are still out there. Some known. Some unknown.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 02:11:21 PM »
Not completely on-topic but here is my Jim Morrison story.

I lived and worked for several years in Alexandria Virginia, just a few blocks from George Washington High School, the high school that Jim Morrison attended.

My wife and I were living in a duplex which was built in the '40s. We owned one side and on the other was an older gentlemen who we got along with well and who lived in his side all alone - his wife having long since passed away and their only son also long gone with a family of his own.

The time finally came that the old gentlemen needed to be moved into a nursing facility and the son came to facilitate that. I offered to lend a hand and while loading stuff up I noticed the son's George Washington yearbooks. I asked if I could have a look and searched immediately for Jim Morrison. Found him in what is now a well publicized class photo and pointed it out to the son. He said he remembered Jim well (not a very big school). I was amazed to find out that the son was not at all familiar with The Doors and Jim Morrison's subsequent fame and fortune and early demise  :P

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America