Author Topic: Jim Morrison's 67 GT500 AFTER 1969  (Read 43754 times)

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
Re: Jim Morrison's 67 GT500 AFTER 1969
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
Bret only has a copy of the last known registration. Not the title of the car. I don't know is on 3rd  ;)

so lets see Bret(who has the title) and Bob say it is possible the car is still around(hey Little Red was found after even that owner was told his car didn't exist by SAAC). Another story by 939 sounds plausible. Tony is adamant the car is long gone and anything "found: would be a fake. So what am I missing here?

SFM5022JR

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »
We’ve owned a now 52 year old spliced together notchback racer since December 1977 that I have proven sworn history on. All 4 previous owners are alive going back to its purchase after the 1968 racing season in early 1969. It is a never delivered to dealership acapulco blue 1967 GT500 front clip welded mid floor pan to a 1968 notchback. The Ford and Shelby VINs are visible and well documented. The car was purchased in blue paint from Ray Wolff and each subsequent owner has attested to selling it to the next. What is not known is how or why did Ray Wolff splice together a GT500 front clip with a notchback rear clip? It has had a plethora of 1967-1968 TA bits and pieces on it throughout its racing history. Wolff reportedly raced it at Riverside in an SCCA National in 1968 and it was blue #9. According to hangarounds at Wolff’s shop he had rooms full of SAI parts and piles of junk everywhere. I was personally told that Wolff was capable of splicing together a race car.

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2019, 06:07:03 PM »
This is interesting information. Ray Wolff worked for Shelby correct? Someone here had speculated that possibly Ray Wolff was the same person as Ray's Hi-Performance Center in Inglewood. Where Morrison's Shelby was listed for-sale in the add. That would be a key-find if so.

We’ve owned a now 52 year old spliced together notchback racer since December 1977 that I have proven sworn history on. All 4 previous owners are alive going back to its purchase after the 1968 racing season in early 1969. It is a never delivered to dealership acapulco blue 1967 GT500 front clip welded mid floor pan to a 1968 notchback. The Ford and Shelby VINs are visible and well documented. The car was purchased in blue paint from Ray Wolff and each subsequent owner has attested to selling it to the next. What is not known is how or why did Ray Wolff splice together a GT500 front clip with a notchback rear clip? It has had a plethora of 1967-1968 TA bits and pieces on it throughout its racing history. Wolff reportedly raced it at Riverside in an SCCA National in 1968 and it was blue #9. According to hangarounds at Wolff’s shop he had rooms full of SAI parts and piles of junk everywhere. I was personally told that Wolff was capable of splicing together a race car.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2019, 06:15:11 PM »
So you are saying the race car has a 1967 Shelby front clip with 1967 Shelby serial numbers?

Why would that car have not been delivered to a dealer?

Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2019, 06:16:08 PM »
Are you trying to say that there is no record of the front clip (when it was a complete car) ever being delivered to Ford/Shelby dealership? .  If not I am not sure what is so special needing "sworn testimony" about a clipped car other then in this case a poor choice for a donor car. Help me understand your point of view.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »
I would guess two wrecks make one good car?

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2019, 06:29:09 PM »
spliced together

http://www.ponysite.de/68_notchback_Ray_Wolff.htm

Are you trying to say that there is no record of the front clip (when it was a complete car) ever being delivered to Ford/Shelby dealership? .  If not I am not sure what is so special needing "sworn testimony" about a clipped car other then in this case a poor choice for a donor car. Help me understand your point of view.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2019, 06:56:05 PM »
Looks like the car was sent to Paradise Ford, in Arizona and wrecked. Doesnt appear to be a mystery there?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:59:17 PM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2019, 07:17:24 PM »
If I read correctly on ponysite that the mystery is still which 68 TA car (VIN wise) the rear clip came from if in fact it started life as a 68 TA notchback. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2019, 09:10:18 PM »
maybe it fell off the train.....and jim found it in the desert.....phred

Waiting for 939

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2019, 09:18:20 PM »
I am really seeing a coincidence here. 

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »
regarding the above post, don't know if this is relevant here or not ?  I have this in my files tagged as Ray Wolff/Mustang '68 Riverside. I also have a couple of images of him with a early notch at Vacaville & Phoenix in '66 with High Performance Motors writ on the front fenders.

Mike

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2019, 09:50:54 PM »
Jim..... Good luck on your search for info after all this time. I wish I had some pics of it when I wanted to buy your car, apparently just before you guys bought it when it was black. You know I ended up purchasing its engine with all its go fast parts from its race days, I used the engine in one of my cars over the years and sold the cylinder heads to someone that owned one of the BIRDCAGE racers from back in the day at one of the santa monica pier gatherings in LOS ANGELES about 15 years ago or so. Those heads came on your car and had the banana ports welded up with valley head service stampings on them. Huge fender flares with a GT 500 front end grafted on to it didn't exactly make my DAD happy back then- It could have been me looking for this info... Be well my friend :)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2019, 12:23:07 PM »
I think Tony wants to be #1 in posts on the forum. LOL
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
I think he already is! :)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative