Author Topic: Tool for directional signal pins/plug  (Read 4015 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Tool for directional signal pins/plug
« on: March 16, 2019, 03:39:25 PM »
I had one of these things but the last time I used it was about 1875 during the US reconstruction after the Civil War. I haven't seen it. It could I sunk with the Arizona?

What is that thing called so I can do a search? I seemed to remember it MIGHT be a Radio Shack item?
Radio shack was open in 1875 right? Or was that 1975? I forget now?

And it's for my 68 GT350 so Coralsnake definitely knows and probably will gloat that he needs to help me with this? Probably.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tool for directional signal pins/plug
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
That will do. Thanks.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
As I recall, the terminals used in that connector were standard (not Universal) AMP Mate-N-Lok.  There is one retention barb per terminal.  To remove, push the wire forward from the back so as to allow the barb to clear the internal shelf in the NYLON connector body.  Then insert the cylindrical tool over the terminal from the front face of the connector which depresses the barb. Then pull on the wire to extract the terminal.   The tool referenced above is a bargain in that it can be used on a variety of terminal diameters.
5S071, 6S1467

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 07:28:11 AM »
Thanks for the info. I did this once before, when I first got the car in 1972. Exactly where that tool is now is unknown but yes, I do remember the procedure. I just need to wait for the Pony Express to deliver.

I'm not sure why the new switch is supplied without the plug but apparently it never was from Ford either?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »
Thanks for all the help. In my case, the pins are stuck in the socket and the tool won't release them.

Maybe they got over heated and welded themselves to the socket?

The solution was just to use a new socket.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 08:39:51 AM »
I've been able to use a small tip screw driver to pry the tabs back to release the wires.  I bought the NPD tool mentioned and didn't have much success with it, ended up throwing it away.  There are some tool kits out there with all the different diameter fittings, need to get one eventually.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 09:06:49 AM »
I've been able to use a small tip screw driver to pry the tabs back to release the wires.  I bought the NPD tool mentioned and didn't have much success with it, ended up throwing it away.  There are some tool kits out there with all the different diameter fittings, need to get one eventually.

I've got the tool assortment. NONE of the wires will come loose. They've been in there for 50 years. Time to just replace the socket too. For $150 you would think the switch would come with the socket?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »
As I mentioned above, the secret to extract is to push forward on the wire from the rear and hold it, while you insert the tool from the front of the connector to depress the tab. Once the tab is depressed, pull back on the wire and the contact should come out.
5S071, 6S1467

SFM6S

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »
You could also go to you local hobby store and buy a piece of brass tube the correct inside diameter...might be faster than waiting on a tool from a vendor.

Joe

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »
used to split a ball point pen insert an use that to slide over the pin, must be a brass one, plastic would not work
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
Doug, I have a good removal tool I can send to you as a loaner to extract your pins if you're still having issues. I am in Corning, NY until I return to DFW on Wednesday.
                                                                                               -Keith

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 04:13:46 PM »
Doug, I have a good removal tool I can send to you as a loaner to extract your pins if you're still having issues. I am in Corning, NY until I return to DFW on Wednesday.
                                                                                               -Keith

Thank you for your offer. I don't need the tool.

I bought a new plug and installed the harness into that, so it's finished.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 10:45:17 PM »
Doug: Good enough!  I had the same issue when I replaced mine. I think the horns tend to heat the blocks up, not to mention plastic and just outright time. I took a picture of the wire loctaions with my cell and cut the plug off and removed them in the house off the vehicle.

-Keith