Author Topic: GT500 Fill tube finish concensus  (Read 4996 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
GT500 Fill tube finish concensus
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »
Black  or bare metal?  running change somewhere?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: GT500 Fill tube finish concensus
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 05:44:46 PM »
Black  or bare metal?  running change somewhere?
Typically black throughout production from my observations..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 09:34:20 PM »
Mine is a washed out yellow cad. There were just three manifolds on ebay with similar tubes. None of them were black.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:20:53 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 06:28:22 AM »
I also have seen them only in black and with the cadmium behind.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 07:39:35 AM »
Black is easy to redo, cad is not. I'm good with that observation from the 'head '67 Judge". I just personally haven't seen any yet in black.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
Black is easy to redo, cad is not. I'm good with that observation from the 'head '67 Judge". I just personally haven't seen any yet in black.
Some of my observations include ones where when taking taking out old fill tubes which appear to be bare metal on the top side end that you can see easily and you find black paint residue still on the end that was pushed down into the intake. So you may have seen the black fill tube before just not the black paint because what black paint is left ends up being on the end that you can't see unless you remove it ;)  Just a possibility.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »
Some of my observations include ones where when taking taking out old fill tubes which appear to be bare metal on the top side end that you can see easily and you find black paint residue still on the end that was pushed down into the intake. So you may have seen the black fill tube before just not the black paint because what black paint is left ends up being on the end that you can't see unless you remove it ;)  Just a possibility.

I'm ok with it being black. As you suggest, the most likely scenario is that they were all painted and it quickly fell off of the tube? Very plausible.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX 3183

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 07:23:50 PM »
Fill tubes on 427 Cobra's were bare metal finish, as where the engines in NASCAR, for the 427 engine
Member of SAAC since 1977

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 09:17:06 PM »
Fill tubes on 427 Cobra's were bare metal finish, as where the engines in NASCAR, for the 427 engine
Thank you for the information although unrelated. This is a topic for 67 GT500 as the heading indicates.

CSX 3183

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 11:29:56 PM »
How true, just giving some info, as "food for thought"
Member of SAAC since 1977

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 01:15:47 AM »
Here are a couple vintage pictures one very early and the other later. Also one that is the typical way they are found on survivor type cars. More food for thought. ;)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »
The green car was in Popular mechanic . I believe a article about switching valve covers among other things. The BW picture is the first GT500 #100 .

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 07:28:06 AM »
Terry Krystofak posted pictures of his 67 GT500 here. I saved them but am having difficulty finding them right now. There are several pictures of the engine compartment.
Personally, I'd weight the results of those pics heavily...whenever I can find them.

As far as other very similar 2x4 Ford intake configurations mentioned, why would they be irrelevant to this discussion?

As in other discussions that involve Ford assembly plant procedures with other components, why would we consider them to not be consistent? I'm not suggesting that there would be any consistent logic of a Ford assembly plant, Heaven forbid, but that logic has been used before and accepted?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 08:35:57 AM »
Here are two images I have of Terry's car, both would seem (?) to be black ?

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
Definitely black. It could be dark charcoal metallic?  ;)

Tall yellow cad heater fitting too. (check...got it!)

Black filler caps! Oh no!  :o

Edge of the air cleaner NAT 'LUMINUM! OH!

Thanks JD!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:53:11 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!