News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

are you looking for a decent alternative to TireRacks poor 14" tire selection ?

Started by zray, March 17, 2019, 06:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zray

Quote from: JWH on March 18, 2019, 11:06:15 AM
zray - I have read your posts over the years and your displeasure with the Goodrich tires. I am not challenging you or disagreeing with you in any way, but looking for an education. Can you pass along your experiences, any test or studies on why these tires are not a good choice? My application is for a '65-70 street driven car (no high performance driving/racing).
Jeff

I have nothing against BF Goodrich tires as a group. I loved the BFG Comp T/A when they made them in 14" sizes, pre 2005 +/-. I wore out 2 or 3 sets of them on '66 GT350's.  But they quit making them.

I have a set of 18' BFG Comp 2 A/S on my '02 Jaguar XKR.  very nice soft tire.

The 14' and 15" BFG Radial T/A is another matter. I don't have statistics, tire tests or studies to rely on. Just my personal experience, which several other people on the VMF have echoed . All of us who castigate the Radial T/A have used it on a classic daily driver, and have thousands of miles of experience with it.

In my view, the primary fault of the Radial T/A is that it will instantly lose traction, at normal speeds, without giving any warning like howling or squealing, and then there's no catching it with steering, etc. like you can with most well designed tires. The combination of the tread design and the tire compound adds up to a tire that has no traction when cornering. doesn't matter if the road is wet or dry, the Radial T/A will let go of it's grip on the road at some point during normal driving at or under the posted speed limits.

It only takes 2 or 3 times before a driver comes to the conclusion that "it ain't me, it's the tire."

I've never had any experience with pushing the Radial T/A on a track. I'm crazy but not that crazy.

Z

PS  I get plenty of push back on my displeasure with the Radial T/A. Usually from those who don't drive their car much. If they are liking their tire selection, and I don't have to ride in their car, it's none of my business. I'd rather ride in car with 40 loose rattlesnakes than depend on the Radial T/A's. At least the rattlesnakes will usually give you a little warning before they kill you.

NC TRACKRAT

5S071, 6S1467

zray

s2ms

Anyone used Vredestein Sprint Classics? Tire rack has the 205/70VR14 for $265/ea...
Dave - 6S1757

EdwardGT350

why use 70 series tires? there were no 70 series tires til 1968/69.
the 70 series tire has a smaller diameter than the more correct non 70 series. the smaller diameter will cause the engine to run higher rpm's at any speed. i would prefer a 205r-14 size. it is closer to the orig tire diameter.
1966 GT350 6s1761

zray

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on March 19, 2019, 06:04:50 PM
why use 70 series tires? there were no 70 series tires til 1968/69.
the 70 series tire has a smaller diameter than the more correct non 70 series. the smaller diameter will cause the engine to run higher rpm's at any speed. i would prefer a 205r-14 size. it is closer to the orig tire diameter.

On '66 GT350's, the  14" tires (that came on the 14" 10 spoke wheels, etc) were 6.95x14. The modern equivalent is 185/75-14.  The 195/70-14's that I used were only 0.2" smaller in diameter than the original 6.95x14's. Not enough to make the speedo inaccurate, only 6 tire revolution per mile less

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on March 19, 2019, 06:04:50 PM"...... i would prefer a 205r-14 size. it is closer to the orig tire diameter.

a 205r-14 tire has a 27" diameter. Might be some rubbing ?  The 205r-14's I'm finding online are for trailers, not cars or trucks

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/205R14.htm

Z

zray

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on March 19, 2019, 08:35:57 PM
orig blue streak specs

Maybe the size specifications are close, but the tire compound and speed rating don't do justice to the original, so not close specifications where it matters most.

mtc

Z

mark p

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on March 19, 2019, 07:31:01 PM
any thoughts...

I put these (Trendsetter SE white walls) on the T-bird last year. They are noted [elsewhere?] as an "entry level" tire. Price was great.
I'm happy with the look and ride - which is key for this particular application - not sure how suited they would be to anything else?

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Dkutz

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on March 19, 2019, 07:31:01 PM
any thoughts...

thats what I have on my car.  But I don't have a shelby, and its just a weekend cruiser.  I like them so far, and they look good too...

shelbydoug

Back in the day, car manufacturers prepared their test cars that were going to be given to the  "press" to review them.

One of the unspoken little tricks that they did was install special soft compound tires for better traction. A tire that was unavailable to the general public.

In all these years, I've never seen nor heard of any tire manufacturer offering these to the public.

Certainly in Shelby's case he probably had an "in" with Goodyear as a tire distributor.

I do think that I remember a magazine article that mentioned this briefly in passing and showing a picture of a tire on a test "Shelby" showing a large letter S that was characteristically missing on any car delivered to a customer. Unfortunately I don't remember the specific article and I certainly don't have a copy here.

It certainly could contribute to what some considered optimistic testing times.

All things considered, the counterfeit Goodyears on Avons are looking better but I'd point out that as long as I can remember there was always a trick to making tires work and maybe the real issue here is that on a performance car, the owner/operator needs to be more than a numb nuts. There is no plug and play on a tire and anything that you buy, like standing in the batters box on a MLB pitcher, you should be careful that you don't get killed? You need to know how and when to get out of the way FIRST.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

This is one of those discussions that can go round and round. 99 percent of all Shelby ownership take their cars to the shows,or for ice cream with the grandchildren. No spirited driving for them, so what do they install on their pride and joy? Most of us go back to the early days of what we liked back in the day, for me there was no Cooper Cobras, Tiger paws or any generic tires because that's what the poor kids, or more appropriate in todays world would be financially challenged young people Hot Rodders used. Any of the BFG offerings is what was used by the (IN) crowd, 40 years later I still feel the same way. Now if you have a lead foot and haulin ass is in your blood then ditch the 14s and install some 15s with some track tires of your choice and there are some very good ones at that. All vintage race gatherings use these tires and work very well, and look the part. :)