Author Topic: Shelby Prices at Auction  (Read 11390 times)

cutter

• View Profile
Shelby Prices at Auction
« on: March 19, 2019, 03:37:12 PM »
Does it seem that the GT500 and 500KR are down in prices being sold at auctions? even the 350 aren't bringing what they used too, I know it all goes up and down on pricing, was just curious if I'm reading the market right.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Shelby Prices at Auction
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 03:46:33 PM »
This discussion seems like it will not end.

Personally, without knowing the history of a car, how can you tell it if was a “good” buy or a “bad buy”?

Just my opinion, auctions are a terrible indication of overall prices. They can be a dumping ground for the worst the hobby has to offer

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 03:56:15 PM »
Agree with Pete... there is a huge variance on condition/quality of restoration.  Most likely what is being observed as 'prices down' is due to lower quality cars being offered at auctions.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »
The big auctions used to happen once a year, now most companies run at least four evenly spaced.

The days of no reserve balls to the walls auctions are probaby over

cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »
It was just an observation , and everyone who owns one on this site seems to think theres is the holy grail, this is why I don't comment on anything, nothing like being picked a part by six experts...an I disagree on the auctions, at times collections are sold with some very nice cars, this is also why I haven't bought one...you should get it inspected, to have an expert tell you what you got, has there every been a car more picked over than the older Shelbys...I think there is a lot of good information here, but this isn't the place unless you have concourse car with the gods stamps of approval,,,not renewing my membership for sure.....

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 05:16:58 PM »
Good luck, I guess you didnt like the answer. Maybe someone else will share one you do like. Not really sure what concours cars have to do with this discussion? So few of those are ever sold at auction. 

I guess if you want to believe because one 1968 GT500 sold for a high amount at an auction, they should all be priced that high?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:20:02 PM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
And just for the record, I dont own a 1968, so it looks like you are off base there as well.

If you really want my opinion on concours, feel free to send me a private message.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:21:23 PM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »
It was just an observation , and everyone who owns one on this site seems to think theres is the holy grail, this is why I don't comment on anything, nothing like being picked a part by six experts...an I disagree on the auctions, at times collections are sold with some very nice cars, this is also why I haven't bought one...you should get it inspected, to have an expert tell you what you got, has there every been a car more picked over than the older Shelbys...I think there is a lot of good information here, but this isn't the place unless you have concourse car with the gods stamps of approval,,,not renewing my membership for sure.....
It looks like just two so you misspoke. I don't consider myself a expert because I am still learning but you can count me too if you like . :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:24:34 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 05:29:55 PM »
I appreciate being called an “expert” but that’s laughable. Perhaps more experienced?

And before you go, please know “concours” does not have an “e” at the end.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:33:08 PM by Coralsnake »

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 06:04:33 PM »
The most shocking thing I have read here is Pete does not own a 1968.  You have the most amazing 1968 Shelby site and you no longer own The Coral Snake?  I am shocked!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 06:18:03 PM »
Hmm, let me look for the post from two weeks ago, where the 1968 auction prices were trending upward, “good news for all 1968 owners”

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »
So, sorry it was a week ago. Same answer then...

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=4444.0

cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »
You know Pete I've talked with you several times, I can say all I asked was a question, the sarcasm is totally uncalled for. I didn't know you ran this site and the saac, but thank you for inviting me to go.....as you put it....I'm only 59 but someday hope to have the knowledge of your experts.....that can argue for an hour over a hose clamp,,,no disrespect was intended but no ass kissing either...treat each other with respect instead of sarcasm is my advice. Thank you for taking the time in the past to answer my questions, ( which I'm sure you've answered a hundred times before) but you won't be bothered in the future by common folk like me....best wishes

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 09:42:13 PM »
That's not a reason to bail. You get a lot of benefits as a member like the annual book at the end of the year which is worth the cost of membership alone in my opinion. I'm not a registrar or have any input on the site. Or any proverbial dog in the fight. Just a casual observer also suggesting if the prices are down then jump in. I got my Hertz (special thanks to my father's assistance) and I don't lose any sleep over where my car's value is. They are art pieces and just looking at mine puts me in a great mood if I have a bad day. Driving it does it one better to the power of ten.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
Agree on the above! I love looking at it, and driving it is even better, its about the cars. They are art! I am so happy I got a chance to own a 67 again after 25 years of not! I am back on track again and cannot wait for summer!
RARE  Signature Delete